Login    Register

Intro - mojojojo

Mission Statement, Member Intro's, Help Topics
  • Author
Intro - mojojojo

Unread postby mojojojo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 pm

Hello. I found your group via an ad on CL and I'm glad I did! Just a little about me as an intro:

I've always been an adventurist. I guess it started at a young age exploring and doing silly feats of daring. In my early teens I had my first bike - Yamaha YZ125. Nothing like learning to ride on one of those! <grin>

I took that passion for adventure after college and joined the USMC where I was fortunate enough to fly the A-4 Skyhawk and the AV-8B Harrier for 8 years. After I got out of the Corps home and family obligations took over and my quests for adventure went into hibernation - asleep but not dead.

During this hiatus I rekindled my interest in motorcycles. Although I didn't have one, I read a lot about them. I read books (proficient motorcycling 1 & 2, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence, etc.) and subscribed to magazines like Rider and Cycle World. I knew I wanted to ride, to free that sense of adventure and excitement I experienced in my youth and as a Marine. The question was when.

Finally once life's responsibilities allowed, I pulled the trigger and purchased my first road bike. Unfortunately finances didn't allow for a new bike (arguably a good thing), so instead I went with the "new to me" option and purchased a 1994 Honda Pacific Coast (PC800) with 84k miles on it - for $1,000. I had that bike for exactly 12 months and rode 12,000 miles on it. What a fantastic bike! It really allowed me to get into riding without getting in over my head. A very forgiving bike and a great first ride.

After a year I thought I was ready to move up. I sold the PC800 for $700 more than I bought it for <thumb> and dabbled with a few bikes trying to decide what I wanted. The first was a 1996 Honda Magna - fun but it just wasn't my riding style. I traded that bike for a 2000 Triumph Trophy 1200. I really wanted to like that bike. It was beautiful! British Racing Green color, fairly low miles (30k), all factory accessories like top box, etc. The problem was that it was unreliable, leaving me stranded more than once. I had it worked on several times, and ultimately I think the issue was with the factory coils (note: I am in no way a mechanic - I know way more about jet engines than car or motorcycle engines - so I'm going from what I read on forums, etc. to make that guess). But the bottom line was I felt that I couldn't trust the bike. So I sold it.

That's when I found my current ride. Not knowing if I was becoming a founding member of the "motorcycle of the month" club I didn't want to drop a bunch of $ on a bike just to keep it a month or two and move on, so I purchased a 1991 Honda ST1100 with 73k on the odometer for $2500. That was in December 2012. I still have the bike but just went over 93k on it and it's still running like the day I got it. I've test ridden newer bikes - most recently a 2007 Yamaha FJR1300 - but I'm yet to find one that, for me, does what my ST will do. Yes, different strokes, but for now I'm 100% happy with this old bike.

Although I'm still working M-F and not as available through the week to ride as I'd like, I'm looking forward to taking more rides, meeting new riders and making new friends. Hence my excitement of stumbling across this fine group. I know I'll experience new roads and learn more about motorcycles, riding, etc. that I ever would on my own. I hope I'm able to share what limited experience I have as well.

I look forward to meeting the members here - ride safe.
mojojojo

Re: Intro - mojojojo

Unread postby Bob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:15 pm

John, welcome!! <welc>

And thanks for your service, Semper Fi and all that!! One of our members, Broz, is an former Marine and I am sure he will be chiming in shortly.

Thats quite a story and you tell it well. I did similar in 2004 when I got "back into riding" and blew thru about 9 bikes in 6 years, and like you I think I have found a real keeper now.
I hope we can ride together soon---hell I just hope the weather will ALLOW riding sometime soon. <muaha>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Broz » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Semper Fi Devil Dog,
We need to straighten Bob out......its former Marine Bob. "Once a Marine Always a Marine."
Thanks for making our job easier. I was an infantry officer durring the Gulf War. My dad is retired Marine and on this site too. Tripod.
I look forward to meeting and riding with you. Right now I'm recovering from elbow surgery so it's going to be a few months.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Bob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:37 pm

Broz wrote:We need to straighten Bob out......its former Marine Bob. "Once a Marine Always a Marine."
Fixed it ! <grin>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Welcome aboard John! You might see a bike that piques your interest in this group; we have a good variety of adventure and street types.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Marc K » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Welcome to the Group John ! There is a not a better group of knowledge than these guys. Hope to see you on a mountain run soon - once the crap is off the streets up here <scoot>
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby Brick » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Hey John! Welcome!
Sounds to me that you made some good choices! I had a 96 ST1100 that I put 70,000 or so miles on. When I sold it it had 128,000 miles. I had been hit in the side by a kamikaze deer. Took all the lower plastic off the ST and I didn't go down. Lucky man that day. Ins totaled it. I bought it back from them and sold it. Great bike hard to kill them!
You didn't say where you live? I'm in Morganton and a USAF Viet Nam Vet.
Hope to meet and ride with you soon!

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Bob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:21 pm

Brick wrote:....You didn't say where you live? I'm in Morganton and a USAF Viet Nam Vet....
Brick, Waxhaw is a bedroom community for Charlotte about 22 mi. SE of downtown.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby tripod » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:37 am

Welcome aboard, John! I'm the Devil Dog adult supervision, road sweep, tail gunner or whatever guys with their hair on fire want to call it. Looking forward to meeting and riding with you -- or behind you! Be safe!
Jay
tripod

NAME: John F. "Jay" Brosnan, Jr.
Bike(s): 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
GPS: Garmin 590
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 20S EVO

Return to ABOUT COFSTA