Login    Register

Intro - Greyscot

Mission Statement, Member Intro's, Help Topics
  • Author
Intro - Greyscot

Unread postby Greyscot » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi there,

My name is Chris and I live in Charlotte, NC. Originally from Scotland, however I have been enjoying your warmer climates for around 8 years now.

I started riding when I was around 8 years old and I've enjoyed owning many off road and road bikes. I took a rest for a number of years and last year I purchased a 1979 Honda CB650 in a cafe racer style. Currently looking for a replacement to the CB, especially with spring around the corner. My wife has finally resigned herself to the fact I have a bike now, which makes life much easier as trying to keep up the pretense that the CB was borrowed, was very tiresome indeed.

Look forward to riding with you

Chris
Greyscot

Re: Intro - Greyscot

Unread postby Bob » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Hey Chris, welcome!! So she really believed the CB was "borrowed" huh? <grin> You must be a good salesman, lol. Hope to see you on a ride soon. I.e. a WARM(er) ride soon. <welc>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Good to hear from you Chris! I hope we get to experience some of that warmer climate stuff soon and see you on a ride. Right now, the window thermometer at my back deck reads 15 degrees.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Brick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Welcome Chris!
I know just meeting you and all but I'm trying to plan a trip to ride the Alps. Got any words of wisdom?

I may have a bike for you... Just not sure I really want to sell it!?!?

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Greyscot » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 am

I told the wife that a friend of a friend had lost their license due to a DUI. Being a classic bike it needed to be ridden regularly and I was going to give him a couple of hundred bucks for the privilege of riding it. The truth be told, she really needed a new car and I'd been shoving money away for that....and then...well...I got a bit distracted. She took it well though!?

ALPS? Amazing! I've only been to Switzerland (Alps) once and couldn't get over the views. Appearing through the clouds to find yourself staring out the side window at a sheer drop thousands of feet high, is an experience that will stay with me. We took a few cable cars to various peaks, and that I would highly recommend. I stayed in Lausanne on Lake Geneva for around a week before moving on to other places, which are lost in my mind I'm afraid. The Alps are a long way from the Nurburgring Nordschleife however. The Police are pretty strict with both noise and speeding, they have a pretty no-nonsense approach to enforcement and expect BIG fines.

You have probably seen this already: http://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-10-roads/ I've been an avid reader of a UK based car magazine called EVO for many, many years. I was under the impression that they had created a number of great videos in Switzerland, however all I appear to be able to find is Route Napoleon (Twice - 2 different classic Lambos) and another in the Austrian Alps...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSjiJbevaU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiBMo7j5Gtk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl6UYDLW1WU

If you do decide you don't need the SV..i'll give it a good home! Looking forward to riding with you all. (In the sunshine!)
Greyscot

Unread postby beachy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:00 am

Hey Chris welcome hope I can make a ride your on. I watched a movie about fellow scotsman Jackie Stewart the other night quite a guy overcame a lot.
beachy

NAME: Ladd Beach
Bike(s): 04 fjr 12 versys
GPS: garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: sena 30k

Unread postby Marc K » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Welcome Greyscot. You couldn't have found a better bunch of guys to ride with. I'm stuck here in the NC Alps (haha) at -7 and my bike snowed in. Hope to ride with you soon. Worked on many a Honda 4 over the years - hated adjusting the valves on those things ! <scoot>
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby Broz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Welcome Chris. You are in for some great riding and a good group of gents to ride with. Remind me to tell you funny story about my Scottland trip over last lunch some day. Very funny stuff.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby yamadog » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Welcome Chris/Greyscot! Great to have you. Looking forward to having you join us on a ride. You'll enjoy our lunch stops too. Great opportunity for "story telling" and "expert advice" offering. Welcome.
yamadog

Unread postby tripod » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 am

Welcome, Chris! I'm looking forward to meeting and riding with you.
Jay
tripod

NAME: John F. "Jay" Brosnan, Jr.
Bike(s): 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
GPS: Garmin 590
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 20S EVO

Return to ABOUT COFSTA