Login    Register

New Member, Philter, living in Laurens, SC

Mission Statement, Member Intro's, Help Topics
  • Author
New Member, Philter, living in Laurens, SC

Unread postby philter » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi, my name is Phil, and I am 65 years old, just retired here from West Palm Beach, Fl.. Ride an 07 FJR, which I just purchased, selling my 03 FJR. Same story as some others here, many bikes when young, didn't ride for 35 years as my 7 children raised me. They are all on their own now and have given me permission to kill myself if I want.
<
Love to ride in the twisties {raced production class RD350 in my "youth"} but was never fast as others and have certainly lost a lot in the last few years. Still, I enjoy grinding a peg and feeling like I am Casey Stoner now and then.
>
My retirement dream was to do some long distance riding/camping. Bought an old Combi-Camp pop up camper, put a trailer hitch on the FJR, and a Car Tire {not a good combination I found out} and took off for Massachusetts to visit my relatives. Got a couple of hundred miles into it and realized I could not stay on the bike long enough each day to do 2000 miles in a reasonable time and limped home with my tail between my legs. {as well as a damaged FJR as my brakes failed coming down off the BRP on 80 into Marion, NC}
<
So I have revised my dreams and will try to build up my endurance doing some local riding {hopefully with some of you} and camping {hopefully with the wife}, although she is NOT into riding on the FJR OR camping in a small pop-up.
<
VERY limited recourses, most of which go into paying the bills and doing Prison Ministry. So I am hoping I can just buy an MU-350r and use it with my Scala Rider Q2 pro.
<
Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for info on local rides/routes, and communication stuff.
<
I have a HF tire changer and anyone who would like to use it is welcome to bring their bike, and/or wheel and tire over here to South Carolina to use it. Also, anyone with an FJR who might want to use or try a Car Tire is welcome to put my spare CT and wheel on their fjr for a while. Thanks, Philter
philter

Re: New Member, Philter, living in Laurens, SC

Unread postby Bob » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Wow. I have been wondering when Twisty Tom's replacement would arrive. Now, he's here! <muaha> Phil, you sound like a real character. (i.e. you should assimilate just fine). (Twisty, if you're still watching occasionally, you are still welcome back!)

Racing an RD350 huh? It would be fun to have one today wouldn't it? http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/great ... maha-rd350

Anyway, welcome aboard Phil and hope to see you on a ride soon. I wanna hear the rest of the story of your brakes on NC80. <pop>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi Philter!
Welcome and I too hope to meet you on one of our rides soon.
BTW: what is a MU-350r?
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:29 am

Brick wrote:BTW: what is a MU-350r?

That's the Motorola bluetooth GMRS radio we got working with the Sena's.

Welcome Phil. Hope to see you on a ride soon!
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby yamadog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:24 am

Welcome Phil. I too hope to meet you soon and look forward to you joining us on a "twistie tour". Bob, Brick and Broz are kinda like our tour leaders. I'm sure you will enjoy! <rdr>
yamadog

Unread postby Marc K » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Welcome Phil. Spent some time in and around Lauren when I worked for the State. Good company here - me I'm just a follower. <icool>
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Return to ABOUT COFSTA