Login    Register

Intro - Steve

Mission Statement, Member Intro's, Help Topics
  • Author
Intro - Steve

Unread postby NC-Canuck » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Hello all. I am a southerner (southern Canada) enjoying the beautiful North Carolina weather and roads.

I learned to ride on a Suzuki GS 450. Rode bikes for many years then decided to have kids. Agreed with my wife to not ride until youngest turned 15. Sold the bike to pay for the birth of my first daughter. I have 4 kids. When the youngest turned 15 a few years ago it was time to sell the Mustang GT convertible and get a bike.

Bought a Harley Davidson Low Rider and had a great time riding with other cruisers the last couple of years. But found I enjoy the long rides on the twisty rodes and enjoy taking trips.

The Low Rider is not the best bike for long rides and trips so I searched for the best next bike for 6 months. Looked at a FJR, a Concours, and a ST1300. Liked them all but had to sell the Low Rider. Found a dealer in Belmont that was willing to do a straight trade for the low rider so I now have a 2008 ST1300 with some nice add ons (givi top case, mcl bar riser and highway blades, cruise control, lights).

Have had several 350 mile days on the ST and love the performance. Added bonus is it is great as a daily commuter.

I am 52 and work for a bank that has a stage coach in its ads and will continue to until last son is out of college (4 years 241 days).

In the meantime I ride as much as I can and look forward to continued enjoyment of our beautiful state. I look forward to learning from and riding with you.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NC-Canuck

NAME: Stephen Haferman
Bike(s): 2008 ST1300
GPS: Navigon on iphone5
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena Smh-10

Re: Intro - Steve

Unread postby Bob » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Welcome Steve! <welc>

That was a smart move, trading the Low Rider for an ST. I think we've all been lured into the cruiser scene at some point and all have seen the error of our ways. <muaha> The Low Rider has, I believe, the shortest shock travel of any cruiser on the road. I can imagine how pavement cracks would feel on it. <yikes>

Hope to see you on a ride soon. <scoot>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Broz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:44 pm

BTDT! Welcome Steve. Teenagers will make you really need to ride. My wife was really against it but I told her, I have already taught the kids everything they need to know and since they know more than me.......I RIDE! I have 2 kids, my son 17, daughter 15. I got into riding about 3 years ago.....cruiser too. I'm 47 don't plan on retiring ever. Work just gets easier as I get older. Im in the investment business for myself w/ a large independent broker dealer, (Hq in St Pete).

Most of the guys on the forum here are retired and ride during the week. I usually take Fridays off and weather permitting ride w Bob (BeamerBob) and others on Fridays. Back in March a couple of us bought some DS thumpers I got a used DRZ 400-S on CL and we also like to ride the forrest roads in Pisgah Nat'l Forrest. We will give you a year or two on the ST before you scratch that itch.....since you had a 450 I bet you will have one before too long.

Look forward to riding with you. <tour>

Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby 007 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:58 pm

Welcome! Looking forward to some good rides! I am moving in the direction of the ST1300, myself. One of these days, I need to relax.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Broz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 pm

007 wrote:Welcome! Looking forward to some good rides! I am moving in the direction of the ST1300, myself. One of these days, I need to relax.

I find that hard to believe. I had you pegged as pure sport biker. Although I often wonder how your knees can stay that bent all day......then again your just a kid. LOL
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:01 pm

Welcome Steve! I too returned to riding with a cruiser after a long layoff. That lasted about a year until I couldn't accept being left for dust by more agile bikes so the cruiser had to go. Next April it'll be three years since I retired and moved here to the mountains. We ride often so there's plenty of opportunity.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby 007 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:14 am

Broz wrote:
007 wrote:Welcome! Looking forward to some good rides! I am moving in the direction of the ST1300, myself. One of these days, I need to relax.

I find that hard to believe. I had you pegged as pure sport biker. Although I often wonder how your knees can stay that bent all day......then again your just a kid. LOL

Get off my lawn! The K bike is mostly upright. Took a few laps of the Snake with a 50ish year old guy on a ZX10. No way I would ride a sportbike. My entire body would hurt after about 20 minutes. The VFR with Helibars is as close as it comes... On the street...

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Brick » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:56 pm

Welcome... I'm one of the old retired guys and live in Morganton. I'm a slow old guy on a big adventure bike. A Yamaha Super Tenere'.
Look forward to riding with you.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Ed » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Hiya Steve <wave> welcome to the party!
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Marc K » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:47 am

Howdy Steve ! You couldn't find a better bunch of guys to ride with ! I had a HD Road King for a few years and then came back to the quick side. Hope to ride with you soon. <scoot>
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby NC-Canuck » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Gents. Looking forward to riding with y'all (practicing my southern drawl).

beemerbob wrote:That was a smart move, trading the Low Rider for an ST. I think we've all been lured into the cruiser scene at some point and all have seen the error of our ways. The Low Rider has, I believe, the shortest shock travel of any cruiser on the road. I can imagine how pavement cracks would feel on it.

LeeDavis wrote:Welcome Steve! I too returned to riding with a cruiser after a long layoff. That lasted about a year until I couldn't accept being left for dust by more agile bikes so the cruiser had to go.

Marc K wrote: I had a HD Road King for a few years and then came back to the quick side.

Bob/Lee/Marc, After riding the ST for a month now I have to agree about seeing the "error" and being on the quick side/not wanting to be left in the dust. While I enjoyed the Low Rider, the performance just does not compare with what the ST can do.

Broz wrote:Teenagers will make you really need to ride. My wife was really against it but I told her, I have already taught the kids everything they need to know and since they know more than me.......I RIDE!
I usually take Fridays off and weather permitting ride w Bob (BeamerBob) and others on Fridays. Back in March a couple of us bought some DS thumpers I got a used DRZ 400-S on CL and we also like to ride the forrest roads in Pisgah Nat'l Forrest. We will give you a year or two on the ST before you scratch that itch

Broz - If you think teenagers know everything - wait till they get to college. <grin> I work from home most Mondays and Fridays - so they are easier days to get away. Looking forward to taking a ride with the group.

Brick wrote:. I'm a slow old guy on a big adventure bike. A Yamaha Super Tenere'.

Broz wrote: Back in March a couple of us bought some DS thumpers I got a used DRZ 400-S on CL and we also like to ride the forrest roads in Pisgah Nat'l Forrest. We will give you a year or two on the ST before you scratch that itch.....since you had a 450 I bet you will have one before too long.

Brick/Broz - like the adventure bikes a lot. Actually looked at a Tenere before buying the ST. Took my boys out to Mebane to teach them how to ride Dirt Bikes. Once the cash flow improves (stop paying for college) I plan to add to the bike collection. Taking a ride on the forest roads sounds like a great time.

Steve - I am finding the ST ramps up the adrenaline a lot more than the HD but it is still a step down from the K. But the riding position is great and there is power there when needed.
NC-Canuck

NAME: Stephen Haferman
Bike(s): 2008 ST1300
GPS: Navigon on iphone5
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena Smh-10

Unread postby Bob » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Bob/Lee/Marc, After riding the ST for a month now I have to agree about seeing the "error" and being on the quick side/not wanting to be left in the dust. While I enjoyed the Low Rider, the performance just does not compare with what the ST can do.

Steve--no way to do this now since the Low Rider is gone, but if you still had it and could hop off the ST and back onto the HD for a short comparison ride, you would be amazed that you were able to ride it any distance at all. I've had several similar situations over the years, where I bought the next bike before selling the old one, and that just helped to encourage me to get rid of the old one asap!! I would then sell them at less than retail because I just wanted them outta my sight. <dope> They were like a reminder of how crazy I must have been to think that was "really ridin' ". Almost an embarrassment, in fact. LOL
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:10 am

Hey whoa now what are we saying about college kids? Were always right! Except when were wrong. But That's a story for another day.

I'm from Morganton, but attend ECU in Greenville NC. I take the credit for youngest rider/member here by a solid decade and a half, at the ripe age of 21. I saddle up on my 07 Triumph Tiger 1050 that I think I confuse with a Daytona the way I push it sometimes. Came from a VFR800 which I'm selling due to lack of comfort for my 6'4" self. Had a couple honda cruisers and a Kawasaki prior that didn't do it for me. The Tiger seems to be all I hoped it would be. Look forward to riding with you soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live to ride, Ride to live.
PirateRiderBen

NAME: Benjamin Nathan Ealy
Bike(s): '08 K1200S, '99 VFR800, '05 K1200S, '07 BMW 328i
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 500
Bike-to-bike comm.: I yell REALLY loud.

Return to ABOUT COFSTA