Login    Register

Mexico Motorcycle Tours

Post Rallies & Special Events.
  • Author
Mexico Motorcycle Tours

Unread postby 007 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:17 am

With all the talk about Europe and its history (motorcycling and otherwise), I was fiddling around on Google Maps reviewing terrain that is more local, so to speak. The mountain ranges in Mexico looked fantastic and I was curious whether people ride there. I know Brick ran to Baja a while back, but has anyone considered any of these roads? I am thinking this would be a near perfect winter trip with warm weather and relatively inexpensive prices in comparison to other locales, provided I am able to keep the cartels and infectious diarrhea at bay. Some research turned up the article below and a few other sites that do regular tours. I am cautious the road quality may not be fantastic, but then I remember that I ride in North Carolina and Tennessee.

https://motorbikewriter.com/mexico-is-a ... e-nirvana/

Anybody else think of a Mexican tour? I would like to be relatively fluent in Spanish before going, which would be a few years away if this is going to be worthwhile.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Re: Mexico Motorcycle Tours

Unread postby Brick » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:45 am

I've ridden Mexico 4 times. 3 trips down Baja and once into main land Mexico. Not on a tour but with MSTA members who have been going for years. Dan who lives in Port Angeles, Washington has probably been 35 times as he used to take his family as he was a big scuba diver. He was going when highway #1 the main highway down Baja was dirt. It's paved all the way down now. He does not speak Spanish. I took Spanish in high school and can get alone a bit. Way down in mainland Mexico it may be harder to find English speaking locals. And in sure that if you spoke fluent Spanish it should certainly enhance the trip.
I'm riding this years Three Flags again here is the flyer for it. Image
The first year I rode it we started in Mexico too but the other time we did not actually go into Mexico as it was deemed too dangerous. The boarder towns are the most dangerous we always try to just ride right through.
Mexico could become a more dangerous place for gringos... depending on what Trump actually does.
I'm open to a possible Mexico trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby 007 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:20 am

On second thought, Trump may make international traveling anywhere difficult. Perhaps I will just follow my original plan to tour the US first before exploring elsewhere.

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:55 pm

I think a trip deep into Mexico would be great fun. I'll go with ya...seriously!
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby 007 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:37 pm

My timeline is 3-5 years for a longer motorcycle trip. I turn the dreaded 40 in 2020 (I'm sure that will elicit groans), which seems like a good time to play after devoting my youth to education and responsibility. I have already paid off my student loans. I would like to be secure enough in my work and income that I can take a several week hiatus or end up between jobs and cash in my 457 to make up for earnings that year with a new job lined up for late fall. My goal is to be like Brick and put 50K on a bike in a year or whatever he did to his last Tenere.

The CB has 16.5K on it now and still performs well. I actually can't imagine a more ridiculous bike to ride so many miles in total comfort. I changed the rear sprocket from 41 to 39 for taller gearing to make lower gears more usable and reduce RPMs at highway speeds. The shake down run on Friday went pretty well, it feels like a real motorcycle now instead of a toy bike.

Unread postby Bob » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:15 pm

007 wrote:My timeline is 3-5 years for a longer motorcycle trip. I turn the dreaded 40 in 2020.

Shit I'll be dead by then. Can we go sooner? <dope>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Temps in Mexico City are mid 70s. NOW would be a good time to go! <bana>
LeeDavis

Unread postby Brick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:11 pm

Just made my reservations for the start and finish of the 2017 Three Flags Classic. Abbotsford, BC the start and Puerto Penasco, Mex for the finish. [THUMBS UP SIGN] We also are going to attend the 25th MSTA BS Rally September 8 - 10th, 2017 on the way home from Mexico.

I discussed a possible 2017 ride into Mexico ride. Dan says February is best. He is thinking about it. More to come. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Brick wrote:I discussed a possible 2017 ride into Mexico ride. Dan says February is best. He is thinking about it. More to come.

Sounds good, February can be kinda boring around here.
LeeDavis

Unread postby 007 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 pm

How long would the trip be?

Unread postby Brick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:30 am

Well on my Baja trips it's a 4 day ride to the border crossing. And we took 8 days in country. Then 4 days home. But the trips into mainland Mexico we entered from Texas so you could get to a crossing in 3 days. I think we then spent two weeks in country. It really is a question of what you want to see.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby 007 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:34 pm

With my 7 on 7 off schedule, I would probably be limited to flying in and out with a rental in between. I could fudge a day or two on either end if I make up those days on the other end for my counterpart. I need at least a month in advance.

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:30 pm

007 wrote:With my 7 on 7 off schedule, I would probably be limited to flying in and out with a rental in between. I could fudge a day or two on either end if I make up those days on the other end for my counterpart. I need at least a month in advance.

That's the spirit!

Though not tied to a schedule I doubt I'd be in for more than a couple weeks total.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Broz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Copper Canyon is supposed to be the shit.
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Brick » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Broz wrote:Copper Canyon is supposed to be the shit.

I was riding a Honda ST-1100 so didn't ride down into the canyon as it's all dirt. But the ride down and back was great!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Broz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:14 pm

How long ago Brick? Could it be paved now? I was reading a RR on ADV and don't recall the road being dirt. The guy was on a GSA. Had to be about 3-4 yrs ago.
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Bob » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:05 am

Found this article-->> http://www.tiger800rtw.com/?p=698
And if you scroll to the bottom of the page, the Q&A says the road from Creel to Batopilas is 90% or more paved.

And this guy's Flickr pics-->> https://www.flickr.com/photos/86170842@N05/page16

Might shed some light on the road situation down there.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:30 am

It was after STAR in Kerrville, TX in 2008. So anything is possible.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:38 am

I'd mount 80/20 tires for the trip - wouldn't want to miss out on something because of a little gravel.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:05 pm

The State Dept. lists Mexico travel warnings by state--see link. If you read the whole thing, it becomes obvious why many folks down there would love to GTF OUTTA there and come up here. I can't blame them either. But hopefully they do it legally. <olfart>
And its not just the drug cartel violence, its kidnapping gangs and fake Federales checkpoints. (this spells adventure...:)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo ... rning.html

Mexico Travel Warning
Chihuahua (includes Ciudad Juarez, the city of Chihuahua, Ojinaga, Palomas, Nuevo Casas Grandes and Copper Canyon): Criminal activity and violence remains an issue throughout the state of Chihuahua and its major cities. Travel between cities only on major highways and only during daylight hours.

Ciudad Juarez: Exercise caution in all areas. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling after dark west of Eje. Juan Gabriel and south of Boulevard Zaragoza. Defer non-essential travel to the areas southeast of Boulevard Independencia and the Valle de Juarez region.

Within the city of Chihuahua: Defer non-essential travel to the Morelos, Villa, and Zapata districts, where the travel of U.S. government personnel is restricted.

Ojinaga: When possible, travel via U.S. Highway 67 through the Presidio, Texas port-of-entry.

Palomas and the Nuevo Casas Grandes/Paquime region: When possible, travel via U.S. Highway 11 through the Columbus, New Mexico port-of- entry.

Nuevo Casas Grandes: U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling outside of city limits after dark.

Copper Canyon and other areas of the state of Chihuahua: U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby 007 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:43 pm

Bob wrote:The State Dept. lists Mexico travel warnings by state--see link. If you read the whole thing, it becomes obvious why many folks down there would love to GTF OUTTA there and come up here. I can't blame them either. But hopefully they do it legally. <olfart>
And its not just the drug cartel violence, its kidnapping gangs and fake Federales checkpoints. (this spells adventure...:)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo ... rning.html

Mexico Travel Warning
Chihuahua (includes Ciudad Juarez, the city of Chihuahua, Ojinaga, Palomas, Nuevo Casas Grandes and Copper Canyon): Criminal activity and violence remains an issue throughout the state of Chihuahua and its major cities. Travel between cities only on major highways and only during daylight hours.

Ciudad Juarez: Exercise caution in all areas. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling after dark west of Eje. Juan Gabriel and south of Boulevard Zaragoza. Defer non-essential travel to the areas southeast of Boulevard Independencia and the Valle de Juarez region.

Within the city of Chihuahua: Defer non-essential travel to the Morelos, Villa, and Zapata districts, where the travel of U.S. government personnel is restricted.
Ojinaga: When possible, travel via U.S. Highway 67 through the Presidio, Texas port-of-entry.

Palomas and the Nuevo Casas Grandes/Paquime region: When possible, travel via U.S. Highway 11 through the Columbus, New Mexico port-of- entry.

Nuevo Casas Grandes: U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling outside of city limits after dark.

Copper Canyon and other areas of the state of Chihuahua: U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel.

Alaska it is then! During July, preferably.

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:23 pm

Oh, for cripes sake! 26 million tourists visited Mexico last year - up 10% from the previous year and it was ranked 10th in the world for international tourism in 2014. Like every other place, don't be where you're not suppose to be and you'll be OK. Sheesh!
LeeDavis

Return to FUTURE EVENTS & RALLIES