Login    Register

ouch

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
ouch

Unread postby Ed » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:54 pm

I actually had typed out a detailed farkle report, replete with multiple photos and descriptive (and insufferably clever and witty) text... took a half-hour, maybe forty minutes to put together and edit.

When I hit Preview I got a message that my request "had timed out"... and as you might guess, trying to go "back" completely wiped the post to somewhere just past Oblivion.

So-o-o, before I get d*cked like that again, or have to screw around making multiple saves in the future... Admin, is there any way to increase the time allotted for composing? If not- can you tell us what that time is~?
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Re: ouch

Unread postby Bob » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Man, that sucks. All that clever verbosity lost to the ethernet. <violin>

OK, I made some changes, and I agree, that is a real pisser. Here are the new time-outs:

Session length: was 8 hours, now 12 hours before automatic logoff
Submit post/form: was 2 hours, now unlimited, but session length trumps it.
Edit post/form: unlimited
Delete post/form: 12 hours

Hope that helps. After this happened to me in another forum a couple times, I started composing my longer posts in Word, then copy & paste when done. In fact, I have done the same here, just in case. Its possible for the server to not respond in a timely fashion when you hit "Submit", even though you're well within the posting time limits. In fact that sounds like what may have happened!

PLEASE Ed, wrack your brain and re-post the lost post!!! We are all on pins and noodles. <bana>

But this time maybe compose the text separately, then copy/paste and upload the pics. I'd hate to lose it again...
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Ed » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Thankya, Bob-! ...it wasn't really "all that" content-wise, just having a little fun in the garage... but I'll re-post the photos.

Appreciate the feedback on session times- it's the first I've run up against it here, was definitely taking my sweet ol' time and should have planned ahead.
Ed

nano-farkles

Unread postby Ed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:09 am

For the most part, I’m quite happy with my Shoei RF-1100- it’s fairly quiet, comfortable to wear with good aerodynamics... and, best of all, it was a Christmas present from the missus <grin>

It has one annoying flaw, though- there’s an adjustable air vent under the shield, which in the fully-opened setting:

...gapes large enough, and is ideally positioned to ingest good-sized insects (housefly-sized, at least) and deliver them, intact and alive, directly into my face. As you can imagine, the rapid trip through the 90° duct does nothing to improve their mood and there’s not one chance in a billion of them going back out the same way.

It’s been my experience that opening the shield- in the vain hope that wind blast will remove the intruder- typically either a.) blows the insect underneath my sunglasses or b.) lodges it well back into my scalp, where its’ continued movements are a source of great mirth until I can get the helmet off.

Scratching around through the garage, I found a scrap of old-style (metal wire) insect screen... it mostly fell to pieces when cut with scissors, but one edge was knitted/bound back onto itself and could be trimmed to the proper size:

With some profanity, the judicious use of brute force, and a few dabs of silicone the end result looks like this:

I know what you’re thinking... “Ed, doesn’t your helmet have a black chinbar graphic~? ...” ...and of course you’d be right; but as my bride also wears an RF-1100 I couldn’t exactly show her my marvelous invention without fitting one to her own helmet first <udaman>

So, there you have it... my sub-miniature nanofarkle report, duly composed (and condensed) in Word prior to submission <thumb>
Ed

Unread postby Bob » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:12 pm

An air-vent that actually WORKS? Wow--I thought they were all just for decoration, at least thats how well mine have functioned. Hell, Ed, now you've gotta clean all the dead bugs outta that screen after every ride. Be easier to just chew 'em up doncha think....? <dope>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Ed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:49 pm

beemerbob wrote:Be easier to just chew 'em up doncha think....? <dope>

Maybe, except for the ones with stingers <whew> :lol:
Ed

Unread postby Ed » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am

...to be known hereafter as the "pollinator mod" ;)

...or pollen-eater, perhaps <whew>

Note the bug stuck in the screen... it voiks, I tellya... it voiks~! <icool>
Ed

Unread postby Bob » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 am

That also really tells us how much stuff we're breathing IN while riding. <bugeye>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Ed » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 pm

beemerbob wrote:That also really tells us how much stuff we're breathing IN while riding. <bugeye>

Thanks for mentioning it :koff:

When I get a minute (from my busy schedule lol) I need to pull that bug outta the mesh to see what it was.
Ed

Unread postby Ed » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Well, that's no ordinary housefly- that's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered insect you ever set eyes on! Look, it's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!
Ed

Unread postby Bluetiger » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

Even Honest Abe refuses to look at it.
Bluetiger

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR