Login    Register

Beartooth Communication Device

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
Beartooth Communication Device

Unread postby 007 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:47 pm

This could be really awesome depending on how easy it is to use while on the bike. Ideally, this feature could be added to a phone so you don't need the separate box, but still pretty cool. It is essentially an advance walkie talkie device with mesh networking to extend the range of communication within a group when off the cell grid. I am curious what you users of these high fangled devices think of this one. At $150 for a pair, it might be worth a look.

https://www.beartooth.com/

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Re: Beartooth Communication Device

Unread postby Bob » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:18 am

Interesting. The "box" is basically a 900mhz 2-way radio without the controls and display or mic, but will pair up using Bluetooth to a phone that has their app installed and the phone functions as the radio's controls and mic. The whole premise is that you no longer need to carry your phone AND a 2-way radio when you go hiking/etc off the grid with friends (who must also be using 900mhz radios)---but actually you DO--thats what this is, a 2-way radio. If needing to hold just *one device in your hand is important, then maybe this is the ticket, but you still have to carry the radio "box" along with you. Personally I would rather have a separate radio under those conditions. FYI, the GMRS radios we use operate in the 470mhz range so this would not communicate with ours--or with the millions of other GMRS radios out there. Still, I could see how it might catch on for hiking if enough people buy them.

Motorola makes a couple of radios using the 900mhz band but for the most part it just hasn't caught on for mainstream 2-way usage. 900MHZ has its drawbacks.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/ ... roductinfo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33-centimeter_band
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Bob » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 am

One other thing occurred to me re the Beartooth device--you are also using the phone's speaker to hear transmissions and most phones spkrs are very weak, probably have to put it to your ear to hear it if theres any background noise--not very practical. Or be wearing a BT headset, which is yet another battery-operated and paired-up device.

Edit: I think they chose the 900mhz band because it is so obscure and sounds new and unique. If they had used GMRS as a platform it would have made more sense. And someone probably will soon.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby 007 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm

The Cardo PackTalk is the only all-in-one bluetooth headset with reasonable communication range for a group of riders. It seems the common denominator is you need the same technology to communicate. One would think someone could hack cell phones to provide direct communication from phone to phone without a tower given their range. Some apps can link via wi-fi or bluetooth, but that range is pretty limited, too. Fine for rider to passenger application but nothing else.

Unread postby Bob » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

007 wrote: One would think someone could hack cell phones to provide direct communication from phone to phone without a tower given their range.

You know thats a great idea--I bet its probably been done in Russia, everything seems to go over there.

But here's another thought: with a group of riders, all of whom have cell phones and a helmet headset paired to the phone, all you have to do is set up a conference call between the riders using the cell phone connection and never hang up! This would work as long as the cell reception is good. Unlimited minutes plan of course. :lol:
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:21 pm

007 wrote:The Cardo PackTalk is the only all-in-one bluetooth headset with reasonable communication range for a group of riders. It seems the common denominator is you need the same technology to communicate.

Steve, are you in the market for a BT headset? We are all (mostly) using SENA and the intercom range is quite good. They will also communicate with the other mfgrs. units including Cardo. What kind of range is Cardo getting?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby 007 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:08 pm

Ideas for future network connectivity:
http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/4- ... re.html/5/

Per ad, the Pack Talk range is 1 mile between individual headsets and 5 miles if riders are in between:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/card ... t-duo-pack

I'm technically in the market for a bluetooth headset, but only because my Nolan does not have a 3.5mm output for the new custom earplug headphones I purchased.

Unread postby 007 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:54 am

I'm curious to review specific projects noted in this article, which includes various platforms to use cellular communication radios for p2p / ad hoc communication separate from cell towers, thus reducing the number of devices necessary to communicate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_pho ... oc_network

Unread postby Bob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:11 am

Interesting concept, sort of like an internet for comm only. Each phone would act as a small repeater the way 2-way radios (law enforcement for example) use repeaters stuck on mountain tops and other high places. But eventually I would think/hope satellite comm will become mainstream and inexpensive obviating cell phone towers, repeaters, and these 'crowd-sourced' networks. Like the ultimate repeater. Right now a sat phone will cost you $40/mo (rental) with 40 minutes included and $.99/minute for extra mins. The sat tech is where cell phones were in 1990. Or earlier.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR