Login    Register

Motorola 350 paired with Scala Rider Q2

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
Motorola 350 paired with Scala Rider Q2

Unread postby philter » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:09 pm

I went on a ride October 7th and though I had bought a set of Motorola 350's couldn't get them paired with my Scala Rider. When I got home from the ride I pulled out the instructions to the Motorola and found that I hadn't read the instructions carefully enough, and hadn't turned on the Bluetooth feature of the radio. Turned on the bluetooth and it paired right up with my Scala Rider. As I understand it, I can LISTEN to all that goes on while riding with COSTRA, which is the most important thing in my opinion, and If I slow or pull over, I can use the PTT button on my radio to talk to the others, unless they have gotten out of range. Is this right? Thanks, Phil.
PS. If this setup turns out to work alright, I will have a Motorola 350 radio and a Scala Rider Q2 setup for sale if anyone is interested. {bought two radios, thinking of selling one, and have a Scala Rider Q2 left over when I bought a SET of them as well}

PSS. I saw that the guys on our ride had their radios on Channel 15, What interference code do you guys use?? Thanks, Phil
philter

Re: Motorola 350 paired with Scala Rider Q2

Unread postby Bob » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:42 pm

philter wrote:I went on a ride October 7th and though I had bought a set of Motorola 350's couldn't get them paired with my Scala Rider. When I got home from the ride I pulled out the instructions to the Motorola and found that I hadn't read the instructions carefully enough, and hadn't turned on the Bluetooth feature of the radio. Turned on the bluetooth and it paired right up with my Scala Rider. As I understand it, I can LISTEN to all that goes on while riding with COSTRA, which is the most important thing in my opinion, and If I slow or pull over, I can use the PTT button on my radio to talk to the others, unless they have gotten out of range. Is this right? Thanks, Phil.
PS. If this setup turns out to work alright, I will have a Motorola 350 radio and a Scala Rider Q2 setup for sale if anyone is interested. {bought two radios, thinking of selling one, and have a Scala Rider Q2 left over when I bought a SET of them as well}

PSS. I saw that the guys on our ride had their radios on Channel 15, What interference code do you guys use?? Thanks, Phil

Yes, channel 15 for Motorolas, with interference codes set to 0. Also make sure to turn OFF VOX, IVOX, Call Tones, Weather Alert, scan, vibrate,"RogerBeep", QT noise filtering. ESPECIALLY the ROGER Beep lol (aka "Talk Confirmation" in the owner manual). As for transmitting, you can get a push-to-talk button that you can mount on the handlebar--it plugs into the radio headset jack. Discussed here-->> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=367

Might want to list your extra gear for sale in the classifieds.

Come on up any time! <scoot>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby philter » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks for that Bob, ordered PTT thing from Ebay. Understood everything you said and turned everything "off" like you said except the "vox' setting. Could only switch between 1 2 or 3 settings, did not see an on or off setting.

I am going to try both radios and both Scaly Riders before I try to sell one. When I first got the radios one kept turning off. They both seem to be working right now. {I adjusted the little tabs in the battery compartment, as one did not stick out as far as the others} I don't know which one that was messing up {I numbered them now, so if one messes up again I will know which one} so I want to test them. I only mentioned the sale in my post in case someone wants to try one out on one of our rides that doesn't have a setup yet. Thanks for all your help. Phil
philter

Unread postby Bob » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:00 pm

Phil, there are 2 VOX settings---VOX and IVOX. The VOX has 1-2-3 as you stated, the IVOX is ON or OFF, so turn that one off. The VOX one doesn't matter (1-2-3) if the IVOX is set to off. You might try charging both radios for a full 24 hours before trying them out.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Yamadog discovered one more thing you should do when using the Ebay PTT. Take the Ebay mic/ptt apart and disable the mic. You can do that by squishing the mic with pliers but DON'T clip the internal wires connected to the mic. They must remain intact or the ptt will not work. Reassemble and you're good to go.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby philter » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Will do both those things. Thank you again for all your help and patience. I am still pumped up from our thursday ride, though I was sore yesterday. LOL
philter

Unread postby Bob » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:20 pm

philter wrote: I am still pumped up from our thursday ride, though I was sore yesterday. LOL

I am always a little sore the day after a long ride, 320 mi approx for me on this one. <tour>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Marc K » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:52 am

Hmm too late - I cut mine a while back and the PTT seems to work OK. It interrupts the incoming signal and the Xmit light on the WT lights up. I haven't had the chance to ride with someone to see if it's actually transmitting.
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:07 am

I tried disabling the mic with one by clipping the wires and killed it but maybe they're not all the same.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby philter » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:14 pm

My MU350r's are now set up with a PTT switch and my Scala Rider Q2's. Not the best sound quality, but can usually make out what folks are saying if they talk slowly. Thanks everyone for all your help. Pairing was EASY with the radios and the Scala Riders, at least the ones I have.

Went up to Syracuse, NY last week with a friend to get his ailing mother and bring her and her vehicle back to SC, and boy did those radios make the return trip easy as we could communicate about traffic and rest stops etc.
philter

Unread postby Bob » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Phil, re. the issue you have with hearing transmissions clearly: 1) make sure the speakers are centered over your ear canals and are as close as possible without rubbing against ears 2) if the volume is loud enough but the sound is somewhat fuzzy or garbled, try turning just the "radio" volume control down a little while leaving the Scala loud. These radios start distorting audio and sounding fuzzy at close to full volume. 3) do you wear ear plugs? if not, try it to lower ambient noise levels and of course turn up the Scala volume to compensate for earplugs
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR