Login    Register

Nolan N85 helmet refresh, new N86, NCOM BT3+ Communicator

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
Nolan N85 helmet refresh, new N86, NCOM BT3+ Communicator

Unread postby 007 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:41 am

In my years of avoidance of bike-to-bike communication, I have always been curious about the technology. I love technology, sometimes just for the sake of technology.

The process began when I bought a new Nolan N86 helmet a few days ago. While admiring my new N86, I realized the new Nolan helmet internals fit inside my old N85 since they share part sizes even though they are remodeled with cool red fabric, and I like red. So I bought another set of N86 internals, a new shield to replace the scratched up one on the N85, two new hi-viz yellow Pinlock inserts (one for the new helmet). Now I basically have 2 new helmets, except for the bug guts still on the N85, and only did it for the low price of $110. This is great, since the cost of a new helmet plus all of that stuff, is usually another $200

As I looked at the barren N86 awaiting internal liners, I decided that money was still burning a hole in my pocket, and bought the NCOM BT3+ to see what you guys were yammering about. Apparently, Nolan decided to join the rest of the crowd with the "+" designation to allow connection with other brands. This managed to cost about $100 more to get one with the +, and I'm beginning to think the + only stands for extra money. It was nearly impossible to find a vendor who carried the specific model where it appeared to be from a reputable dealer. There are several different names for the device, I don't speak Italian, and even Google couldn't decipher variations including BT3, B3, bluetooth 3, bluetooth3, ebox, e-box, ncom, n-com, plus, +, etc. without providing a number of extraneous links to things that ranged from the regular BT3, a totally different item altogether, or it was out of stock. I eventually settled on motorcycle superstore, since they are reputable, and I quit caring to research if the problem could be solved with just a firmware update after the other hassles.

Another interesting tidbit: Nolan made one shell size for the N85/86 to keep prices down. If I really wanted, I could buy the small helmet size internals, another communicator, and give either helmet to my girlfriend once I wear out the new internals. I hope this flexibility makes up for the hassle of finding the communicator.

There are surely benefits / risks to hearing "weeee" or "damn that guy" for 25 minutes straight running the track.. err... Snake. At this point, I'm starting to recall all the reasons I avoided this in the first place, but we will wait and see. Now if I can just throw money at extra mods to keep up with Boxer engine torque on the wimpy VFR. New Q3s with tread should help.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Re: Nolan N85 helmet refresh, new N86, NCOM BT3+ Communicato

Unread postby Bob » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:47 am

Welcome to the world of B2B comm! But what is the "problem" you mentioned needing solving...?

Now you need a Motorola Bluetooth GMRS radio like Lee and Yamadog use to stay connected in the group when its more than about 2 riders. And a PTT switch.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby 007 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:13 am

The problem was the original model only communicated with other Nolan devices, from what I can tell, which strictly limits its use. I think the firmware update improves this on the old model, but there are also power-saving features, DSP, and other new benefits of the + and I didn't want to find out the hard way that these aren't available on an updated older model.

Per Nolan:

Product Description

The BT3+ is compatible with the N103/N91/N90/N86/N85/N43E model N-com helmets with the Basic Kit 2 installed.

NEW Features of the BT3 SDS Plus Version

UNIVERSAL INTERCOM

INTERCOM CONNECTION WITH THE OTHER BRANDS BLUETOOTH SYSTEM

N-Com system can be connected to other brands communication systems as a "mobile phone"
N-Com system can keep simoultaneously the connection to the other brand communication system and to a mobile phone.
The bike to bike communication range depends on the bike to bike range of both systems.

Take Note: The feature will be available on all B4 and Bluetooth Kit3 systems thanks to the new Firmware version 4.02 (download from N-Com Wizard)

VOICE PROMPT

A voice announces:

the N-Com Menu that has been selected by the user
the connection to the telephone
the Bike to Bike Call and the bike called
the low battery status

Take note: The feature will be available on all B4 and Bluetooth Kit3 systems thanks to the new Firmware version 4.02 (download from N-Com Wizard)

DSP - DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING

DYNAMIC NOISE REDUCTION DURING INTERCOM CONNECTION WITH ANOTHER HELMET

The DSP technology decreases the background noise captured by the microphone of Helmet 1 and heard in Helmet 2 during intercom communication.

Take Note: The feature will be available only on B4 PLUS and Bluetooth Kit3 PLUS version

SWITCHING OFF THE AMPLIFIERS

If N-COM system is connected only to the mobile phone and there are any other audio sources active, N-Com system automatically switches off the amplifiers.

This feature reduces:

the power consumption = more battery time
the white noise of the speaker
the noise of Bluetooth data package transmission

BlueTooth3+ Kit is the newest version of the NCom BlueTooth Ebox, to be used with the current Basic Kit2. It offers the same integration level as our previous versions, and new features that will please all types of riders:
• Rider to passenger communication via BlueTooth.
• Bike to bike communication between two BlueTooth B3 systems up to a distance of 550 yards.
• FM Radio with RDS function (to stay tuned to the same radio station for the entire ride), with 6 pre-settings for your favorite radio stations.
• Other devices can be connected to the B3: Music players and other devices using a standard headphone jack can be connected via a wire and other BlueTooth enabled devices such as a cell-phone and a GPS can be paired through the BlueTooth connection.
• Firmware updates as well as presetting of the radio stations, volume controls, etc. can be done by connecting the BlueTooth3 to a computer via the jack-to-USB cable (included) with the NCom Wizard program.
• Connection to the Honda GoldWing with the optional GoldWing wire to listen to the bike’s music, talk over the intercom system or the CB.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Brick » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:14 am

I think I still have a PTT that you could have for a song. I'll look.

I am out riding my Super Teneré'!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby yamadog » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:46 am

In all that said, does this thing work with the Sena units? And, if Brick can't find his old PTT, I have an extra one that I made via Lee's tech advice that will work with a single pin Motorola radio. No need to sing! Welcome to B2B Com!! <thumb>
yamadog

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:48 am

007 wrote:INTERCOM CONNECTION WITH THE OTHER BRANDS BLUETOOTH SYSTEM

[b] N-Com system can be connected to other brands communication systems as a "mobile phone"

I'm pretty sure this means you can connect to Sena or other systems with the generic Hands Free Profile but not on their intercom channel so only one B2B connection allowed - no group. You'll need a bluetooth enabled GMRS radio setup for group comms which is what we usually do for that anyway.

There are 2 options we use to implement GMRS. One is with a bluetooth hub like the Sena SR10 wired to a GMRS radio. Second is a bluetooth GMRS radio, the Motorola MU354R.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR