Login    Register

Sena SMH10/SR10 setup for GMRS

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
Sena SMH10/SR10 setup for GMRS

Unread postby Ed » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi guys,

Just so we're all on the same page, I'm curious to compare (SMH10 + SR10) setups... what settings are you using?

This combination has been working well for me using the Icom F4011 transceiver:

In the SMH10, firmware version v4.2 (most-recent at this time):

For the SR10, firmware v1.2 (ditto):

What's in yours ~ ? Riding with Bob over the past year trying various options, we've found that setting the Radio Transmit Gain to 'Low' in the SR10 gives good voice clarity without over-driving the transmitter (hard to comprehend) using a normal speaking voice... for my combination, anyway!

BTW- a "tip" I found on the Sena site, which may/may not now be in the User Manuals: if you don't keep 'something' (music, et cetera) running to keep the channel active, the SR10-to-SMH10 link will timeout and go to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity... you'll notice that you're sometimes missing the first second or so (or first few words) of chit-chat between riders after there's been a lull.

If this happens to you, you can force the SR10->SMH10 link to stay active until you release it- tap your PTT button (to be sure it's "awake"), wait for a few seconds, then double-tap the PTT again to force the link. You can release the link again, if you wanna, by simply double-tapping again. Push-to-Talk functions just like always.

I haven't noticed any increased battery drain or reduced life, and it's generally been a plus to hear entire conversations. FYI~!

Hope this helps! ...can't help with bridging phones and other Bluetooth devices, but it sounds like you guys have all that stuff jammin' already.

Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Re: Sena SMH10/SR10 setup for GMRS

Unread postby Yarbi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 am

My SMR10 is set up just like yours but my SR10 Radio Transmit Gain is set to Medium. Did mine sound OK last time we road together. If it could be better then I will change my setting to low. Don
Yarbi

Unread postby Bob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 am

Heres the deal with mic gain: it amplifies *everything, background noise included. These noise cancelling mics need to be placed so they brush against your lips when speaking. If theres a gap your voice sounds weaker, and using increased gain to compensate for the gap makes it worse by amping the noise too. My 2 cents.

Check your mic placement-- i think you sound a little weak. But need other opinions as my hearing sux. <grin>
But you are "clear!"
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Ed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

Agreed- I hear your voice clearly, Don but more gain would be a plus.

Same was true with the setup Broz ran last week... when he and I used the paired SMH10s on the way home, the conversation was crystal-clear so I'm thinking we're all "close". What works with the Icom might be a dud with the Motorolas, but it shouldn't take us long to resolve.
Ed

Unread postby Yarbi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:51 pm

OK everyone I went out and did some testing with my two radios and my iPhone. Brick I found out what might be messing up your transmission and maybe you receiving. What I found was my iPhone, if too close to my Motorola radio, will cause interference with my radio transmission and receiving. It sounds like a lot of back ground noise. Sound familiar? As I moved my iPhone to and from the radio the interference would come and go. I travel with my iPhone in my rear bag so it is a long ways from my radio and I wouldn't have this problem. I noticed Brick, that your phone is upfront and close to your radio. You might want to check this out. This could be the cause of the poor sound quality when you transmit and also could be causing issue on you hearing. On another note, Ed I tried double clicking the mic as you suggested and this does make a big difference in not missing the first of each transmission, but the negative is it will not allow my music from my iPhone to start playing again until I double click again to cancel. So this is what I have learned. I hope this helps. Don
Yarbi

Unread postby Ed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Sorry to hear that the 'double-tap' trick buggers something else, Don... guess there truly is no "free lunch".

re: radio interference... interesting, have noticed (and heard) interference when my phone was too close to my computer monitor/speakers but didn't think about it interacting with our radio frequencies.

One oddity I'm dealing with, on the bike is that using the Icom transmitter will sometimes turn my (el cheapo) Garmin GPS on and off- even a slight reorientation of the two devices (a change of angle, mostly) can either help or hurt a great deal. Only on the SV, it's never happened on the Bandit!
Ed

Unread postby Bob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Wow. The little iphone is putting out some RF interference! Can happen with all electronics. My iphone & radio are about 12" apart right now. Guess we need to be suspect of all devices when encountering issues like this. Ed, doesnt your Gps shut down when you press the PTT button? Or something weird like that...

Edit--oops i see you just posted that Ed
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:55 pm

I think weve just got a lot of different frequencies creating harmonics: bluetooth in sr10,smh10, iphone; cellular phone frequencies; gmrs freq's; and probably not very tight tolerances and/or RF shielding.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Yarbi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Oh I won't miss the music too much. I usually only listen to it when I am riding alone. I really liked the tip on getting rid of the delay when someone was speaking. Also this helped out my GPS which on the voice commands I would loose the first few words, now with the double click I get it all. Thanks Ed for the tip! Don <icool>
Yarbi

Unread postby Bob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 pm

We should name Ed "Mr. Bluetooth"! <joecool>

Thanks for imparting more knowledge for us old phartz.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Ed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:06 pm

beemerbob wrote:We should name Ed "Mr. Bluetooth"!

Better than being called "Mr. Greenteeth", I suppose :lol:
Ed

Unread postby Ed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Don't let this die, guys... I need four more posts to catch up to Brick <pop>
Ed

Unread postby Brick » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 am

I'm gonna try to check my settings today and match them to the ones old Greenteeth... Oops Mr. Blue Tooth posted here.

I also have been posting stuff to the Sena site and they have given me a couple of things to do.

Also Richard of RKA who makes the "InCharge" tank bag has used all this stuff in the past and even on his bicycle as well as his motorcycle. So I intend on calling him to ask about the interference that YOU all hear. Note: I don't hear it! But Y'all seem to think it's coming from my "stuff". The InCharge tank bag was made to carry all that stuff right up there and that is what he did... He had his iPhone 4S (at that time) on the left like mine and his Motorola radio on the right just like mine.

We will see how this all works out but some great stuff here...

Ed you'll never catch me... <poke> OH you mean on the number of posts on this forum. <wave>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Brick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Ok I got on the computer with the SMH10 and an SR10 and set them the way Ed showed in the first post.

I have not tried to pair them or try the radio's just yet... IS there a proper order to link them?

Like do I pair the SMH10 to the SR10 or the iPhone first???
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Yarbi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:41 pm

It seems to work best for me if I have my SR10 and iPhone powered up and then turn on my SMH10 head set. Not sure if it makes any difference but this is what I do and it works everytime. Once I powered up the SR10 last and it didn't want to connect but that could of been something else and was a long time ago. Hope this helps. don
Yarbi

Unread postby Yarbi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Brick I may has misunderstood you question. When first time pairing I always do my iPhone first then the SR10, again not sure if it matters but this is what I do. After that is what I was talking about in my other post. Don
Yarbi

Unread postby Bob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Brick, did you try Don's experiment with holding the iphone in different positions around the radio & SR10 to see if you picked up any interference? You might try that with the iphone's Bluetooth turned ON and also turned OFF to see if theres any difference. Curious to hear how that turns out.... <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 am

I have not tested it yet... I can't really do it myself... I would need two radios etc..

Anyway... what I'm asking is.

You can pair your iPhone to the SMH10 OR to the SR10... which did you do?

Obviously the SR10 needs to pair with the SMH10.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Yarbi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:50 am

The SMH10
Yarbi