Login    Register

FJR Gen 1 fork seals

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
FJR Gen 1 fork seals

Unread postby yamadog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:32 am

Fellow FJR owners and previous FJR owners...During our COFSTA ride on March 17th, I noticed major oil leakage on my left fork. Probably a fork seal but I also noticed a "clunk" sound during suspension compression. I had up-graded my front suspension by Traxxion Dynamics some time ago (22k) and guess I will be doing that again. Can anybody tell me about their experiences with Cogent? I think I might send my forks to them for a rebuild and heavier springs. Cost estimate would be great too. I know the springs go for around $120. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
yamadog

Re: FJR Gen 1 fork seals

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:02 am

Cogent is great but before you do all that see about cleaning the seal yourself. Often, a leaky seal is just dirt wedge in there from the outside. Look up "Motion Pro Sealmate Fork Seal Cleaner" - it's a $5 piece of flexible plastic or you could make your own. Here's one being demonstrated on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlzfoVroSY
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby yamadog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks Lee. I do have a handfull of the Seal Mate things. Made a bunch after I bought the original as they kinda get destroyed after a couple of uses. I did clean this fork seal once after the spring install. I will try it again and hope it fixes my problem with the leakage. I still need to address the "clunk" issue. Further investigation is required. BeemerBob suggested the rotor may be making some noise. Will check. I intend to call Rick at Cogent today and get his opinion.
yamadog

Unread postby Bob » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:08 pm

BeemerBob suggested the rotor may be making some noise

Not the rotor, the brake pads--but thats only when you're stopped and grab the front brakes and pump the forks. My GS does this as did every bike I have owned since around 2006, including my '06 FJR. But if you're hearing/feeling a clunk while riding, you got another problem. <violin>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:16 pm

If the Seal Mate fixes the leaky fork you still have to pull it apart because no telling what the oil level is since it's been leaking. So, you might as well do a fluid flush for both forks...and install heavier springs if you need them. That might reveal "The Clunk". If the Seal Mate doesn't work then more than likely, it's off to Cogent. Replacing seals can be DIY but it's not a trivial job and requires a couple of special tools.
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Another common front end clunk is a worn steering head bearing.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Brick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Rick at Cogent is Fantastic! Highly recommended!

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR