Login    Register

Over Pants

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
Over Pants

Unread postby tripod » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:03 pm

Do any forum members have experience with Firstgear HT Overpants? I'm looking for three season waterproof pants for my long bony ass. I've tried a pair of Olympia Rangers but didn't like the complete separate inner pants concept -- too much bulk around the waist. I'm down to the Firstgear Overpants or BMGs because each allegedly have the inseam option I need. The big PITA is the size crap shoot of online purchasing and the reviews of products, probably most all by short guys. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
tripod

NAME: John F. "Jay" Brosnan, Jr.
Bike(s): 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
GPS: Garmin 590
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 20S EVO

Re: Over Pants

Unread postby Bob » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:24 am

No experience with the First Gear pants (read the Revzilla reviews) but I'll pass along a couple observations made recently, as I am also looking for replacement for my Olympia Xmoto pants (wearing out finally).

1) Olympia pants in general fit me much better than others I have tried (Klim, BMW, Revit) because they are designed by the owner (here in the USA) for taller American riders. The other pants were very "short-waisted" and kind of sat on your hips, and if you tried to pull the waist up to YOUR waist it resulted in an instant wedgie. <grin> They just didn't fit properly at all.

2) If you liked the fit and finish of the Ranger pants themselves but just didn't like the thick liner concept (neither did I), do what I do--toss the thick liner and wear a thin separate layer like Underarmor or generic brand of thin lightweight long johns--its all you'll need in cold weather. Those pants are coated to make them waterproof and therefore wind-proof as well, and that thick under-liner is just plain overkill and can become quite hot since those pants don't breathe like un-treated cordura.

Edit: re. the Ranger's inner liner, scissors can remedy that pesky inner "fly gator".

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Olympia, just have had great luck with the fit and finish of their stuff. <thumb>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Bob » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:27 am

One more observation: the local BMW dealer has a decent selection of apparrel in stock, such as Klim, etc so it can't hurt to go there and try some on to see the fit. They will deal on the prices to meet the online pricing, even on the BMW gear. The parts mgr. John Brannagan is a really nice and knowledgable guy who will work with you. They are closed Sun & Mon.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby tripod » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:13 am

Thanks, Bob. The BMW dealer ordered in a pair of the Olympia in size 36 but they were too small, cramped my sitting position. I explained the size situation before he ordered and he said it was no problem that if they didn't fit he'd put them on the rack and they's be gone soon. I may go back again for a larger size if the Firstgear option doesn't pan out. I'm also planning to buy a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket like John's and the FG folks said the inseam length on the 36 or 38 tall sizes was about 37 which would be good. Buying any clothing online for me is always a royal PITA.

In late April I'm taking my first long ride, a trip to a Spyder rally in Springfield, MO, and want to have a good waterproof outer layer. The Bilt jacket I'm now wearing is my summer jacket that was an on-sale impulse buy just before getting the Spyder but I've been really pinching the ATGATT posture riding in Levis. Have far less risk on three wheels than two but still must have the good protection.
tripod

Unread postby Bob » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:35 am

tripod wrote:In late April I'm taking my first long ride, a trip to a Spyder rally in Springfield, MO....

<thumb> <thumb> <thumb> Great time of year to be doing that ride, weather should be mild. Didn't you ride the Ozarks on 2 wheels once? I can hear the banjo's. <bugeye>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby tripod » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Yeah, I pedaled my bony ass through the southern Ozarks in 2001 on my first cross-country trip. It was hot, hilly, miserable and none too scenic. Should be much more fun twisting the loud handle. <rdr>
tripod

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR