Login    Register

12VDC to 5VDC converter

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
12VDC to 5VDC converter

Unread postby Ed » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Posted a link to these on another thread, thought I'd put up a pic of the actual item for posterity. Link to eBay description:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-DC-DC-Converter-12V-Step-Down-to-5V-Power-Supply-Module-3A-15W-BLACK-/221605016721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3398b03491

Decided to buy a few to play around with, building a DIY 12VDC-to-5VDC power supply which could feed mini- and micro-USB cords on the bike... they are quite compact:

Tested one with a small, somewhat-regulated benchtop 12V supply (sits at ~15VDC with no load) and sure enough, got 5.03V at the output. Will test off an actual battery and a variable power supply later, and see if the output holds steady across a range of input voltages.

As things are now on the bikes, I have leads terminated with SAE connectors bringing 12VDC up to the tankbag... then another connection in the tankbag to a SAE 12V-to-USB dongle... then yet another connection, from the USB-A dongle output to either USB-mini/micro plugs as needed. This scheme adds too much rats'-nest bulk and connection complexity for my taste, and I'm suspicious about whether the USB dongles are involved in some electrical shenanigans (key the PTT, and the GPS reports loss of incoming power kinda stuff) I've been experiencing.

With three of them on my doorstep for less than $14, it's not too hard to take if the results don't transcend expectations.

More info to follow.
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Re: 12VDC to 5VDC converter

Unread postby Bob » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Do the innards appear to be "potted", as in waterproof?

Oops, never rmind its in the website.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: 12VDC to 5VDC converter

Unread postby Ed » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 pm

It says they are, but I don't plan to immerse the bike to find out ;)
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR