Login    Register

Motorola MU350R GMRS Bluetooth + Sena

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
Re: Motorola MU350R GMRS Bluetooth + Sena

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Start from a clean slate by doing a factory reset on the Sena. Press and hold the phone button until the voice prompt says "factory reset" then immediately press the jog dial to execute. If successful you'll hear a "headset reset" voice prompt.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby yamadog » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Finally!! I got the Sena paired to the Motorola! I have no idea what I did different but I finally heard the words "device paired". So... I wait for the PTT to show up ond modify it per Lee's instructions and we should be good to go. Thanks to everyone who chimed-in to help. <banjo>
yamadog

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:28 pm

WTG...sometimes gizmos make you to suffer before they'll work. Here's my PTT showing where I clipped off the ear piece wire. Nothing fancy.

PTT Switch.jpg
LeeDavis

Unread postby yamadog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks for the pic. It helps to see how things are done. My PTT should be here Tuesday and I can then complete my BT set-up.
yamadog

Unread postby yamadog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:52 am

OK, so I finally finished my Sena/Motorola BT install. Thanks to Lee for his investigative prowess and Bob for helping check the system out(and others who chimmed-in). I mounted the PTT on the left control unit at the bottom side with velcro but it seemed weak. So I opened the PTT to check if I could drill a small screw hole thru it to mount the PTT with a screw to the control unit, which I did. This really firmed the button operation. Made a "holder " for the radio and mounted it with a RAM ball. The system works great but for a half second delay when transimiting. No biggy. <thumb>
Attachments
Motorola install 001.JPG
Radio and mount
Motorola install 001.JPG (70.5 KiB) Viewed 32516 times
Motorola install 002.JPG
Radio and mount
Motorola install 002.JPG (90.6 KiB) Viewed 32516 times
Motorola install 003.JPG
Ptt mounting
Motorola install 003.JPG (85.64 KiB) Viewed 32516 times
yamadog

Unread postby Bob » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:37 am

Jim, I wonder if that 1/2 second delay could be "adjusted out" with a setting in the Sena. Ed is the expert on these gizmos, maybe he'll chime in, but it seems like I recall a setting that would influence this....
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:15 pm

Jim,
Excellent installation. You are good with that kind of work for sure!
<joecool>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Ed » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:24 pm

I don't recall a setting which would influence that on the SMH10... the setup screen from a couple of firmware iterations back offered this:

The setup screens are certain to be different with the current SMH10 firmware, since stuff like switchable side-tone has been added... worth having a look, at least.

The SR10 had a user variable for channel timeout, FWIW... might be what you're thinking of, Bob although that's not applicable here:

Seems to me as though "Buddhistbiker" Scott had a similar short-delay issue when the PTT was keyed, but IIRC he was using an F4011 radio.
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Bob » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:36 pm

If VOX were enabled could that cause it? Yeah might have been the SR10 I was thinking about. Not a big deal either way though.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Hey Lee, you might want to treat that radio as if it were NOT waterproof. We rode in rain today and Yamadog's got water inside, as evidenced by moisture condensed on the back of the lense over the LCD. It is aso malfunctioning, the BT will not pair any longer. But it WAS having issues before the rain started however...
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:28 pm

It isn't unusual for version 1 of anything bluetooth to have issues though my radio hasn't done anything wonky. It has a 1 year warranty so save those receipts. Mine gets 5 consecutive days riding soon - a good work out to see how it holds up.
LeeDavis

Unread postby yamadog » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Sent my MU354r back for an exchange. The BT would go "in and out" with use. My Sena Sally would say "connection failed, try again later" repeatedly. This was prior to the rain but it did have moisture inside the lens after just an hour of light rain. Disappointing. Maybe the next one will do better but I also plan on keeping the radio in my tank bag. SMH10 worked fine. Recieved phone calls and paired w/ Broz's unit after my radio went off line. Remember, I had great difficulty "pairing" my Sena to the Motorola originally and after use, the "blue flashing light" was nowhere to be found. Pressed all the right buttons per instructions but the radio would not recognize the BT portion of it's menu. Jumped right over it every time! I'll let you know how the new one responds.
yamadog

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:31 am

I just in from 5 days using the bluetooth Motorola/Sena setup with no problems. Can't say with any certainty if I got a lucky good unit or Yamadog got an unlucky bad one but mine works well.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 am

LeeDavis wrote:I just in from 5 days using the bluetooth Motorola/Sena setup with no problems. Can't say with any certainty if I got a lucky good unit or Yamadog got an unlucky bad one but mine works well.

Did you ride in rain with the unit exposed? <pop>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:53 am

Not hard rain but quite a bit of misty drizzle didn't bother it. I wouldn't subject it to a deluge...too many places where water could possibly get through.
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:50 pm

I talked to Bob yesterday about the voice quality he heard at different settings and went out today with Jeff, trying different things. Here's what worked best. Enable microphone boosting in the Sena setup utility. This is the factory default so if you haven't messed with it that's where it should be. For a while I thought disabling microphone boosting would be better but it isn't.

Microphone position is very important and if you have the mic right in front of your mouth you'll likely over drive the mic and nobody can understand you. Position the mic so it's below your mouth but above the bottom of your chin - sort of in the middle.

Jeff said I sounded clear with everything set up as above.
LeeDavis

Unread postby NC-Canuck » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:02 am

Thanks for the setup advice Lee. The PTT cable arrived yesterday so looking forward to trying it out.
NC-Canuck

NAME: Stephen Haferman
Bike(s): 2008 ST1300
GPS: Navigon on iphone5
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena Smh-10

Previous

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR