Login    Register

I installed a set of Oxford heated grips

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
I installed a set of Oxford heated grips

Unread postby flip » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:17 am

I decided to make my Shiver a bit more cold weather riding friendly. It may work a bit better in the tight roads y'all have taken me on.Today I installed a set of Oxford heated grips. I used the Touring set. My Caponord came with a set of Oxford heated grips and they get HOT! I have installed grip heaters(a few sets of Dual Star's) but never heated grips with the heating units built into the grips.

I also modified and installed a set of hand guards made for a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. They are much taller than the factory hand guards I had previously installed on my Shiver. I had to trim a good bit off the hand guards to clear the master cylinders. They should work much better but I'm not sure about the looks where I trimmed them. I may try to clean that up a bit.

I tend to screw something up whenever I fix anything. I guess I get tunnel vision. So, I put some gel super glue in the left grip and slid it on. I pushed it all the way over to the controls, not thinking there had been a bit of a gap there. When I saw that, I thought, no problem, I'll just slide it back a bit. Nope, the glue had set. Hmm, Maybe I'll just add something between the end of the grip and the end weight, effectively making the grip area wider, going for a positive spin there. <grin>

On to the right side grip. I had trimmed off the ridges on the throttle sleeve. I put on some glue and slid the grip in place. No problem! A few minutes later, I grab the grip and turn the throttle. Problem...the grip was slipping on the throttle tube. So, more glue. I let it sit a while before twisting the throttle again. When I did twist it, the grip stayed on the tube but the tube is not moving smoothly on the handlebar. Apparently some glue went where it should not have. I think I'll try riding it a bit and see if it smooths out before taking off the throttle tube to clean it.

So, not only am I one of slowest riders here if not the slowest, I'm also probably the worst mechanic. But...I have a good time on 2 wheels! <scoot>

flip

NAME: Phillip Campbell
Bike(s): 2016 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally, 2008 Aprilia 750 Shiver
GPS: TomTom Rider
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 50s

Re: I installed a set of Oxford heated grips

Unread postby Bob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:28 pm

Well, you'll never regret those grips, thats for sure. Just have to remember that they are now there and to turn them on before your hands are like frozen turkeys. <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:29 am

In the past I alway installed Oxford heated grips, the kind that go under the grips of your choice. Loved them but my trick was to leave them on when I park the bike. That equals a dead battery.
On and once I slid the grip on the throttle tube so far that the throttle wouldn’t turn.
BTW: I always used hair spray to install grips.
Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby flip » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 pm

[quote="Brick"[
BTW: I always used hair spray to install grips.
Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I have a probably 20 year old can of White Rain hair spray that has been used to install several sets of grips.
flip

Unread postby flip » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Well, I finally removed the throttle tube to see exactly what I had screwed up. Some of the gel super glue had made its way to the handlebar, under the throttle tube and some was on the inside if the throttle tube. It’s effect was considerable friction when turning the throttle. It acted like a throttle lock, just turn and remove your hand and it would stay there. Hmm...redneck cruise control? Uh, nope. About 45 minutes with some sand paper and then a couple of shots of silicone lube and then once back together, all worked smoothly.
flip

Unread postby tireatr » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:56 pm

You are the 2nd person to recommend these. Amazon has them for $70
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Unread postby flip » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 pm

tireatr wrote:You are the 2nd person to recommend these. Amazon has them for $70

The Touring, sport and adventure models of their grips have different outside diameters. The Touring are the thickest. I went with them because I have very large hands.
flip

Unread postby tireatr » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:14 pm

Good to know. I have Sasquatch hands.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory