Login    Register

G2 Tamer Throttle Tube

Show us how you did it or ask how it's done.
Post pics of those new lights, jacket, boots, gizmos, etc.
  • Author
G2 Tamer Throttle Tube

Unread postby steve seitz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:10 am

Has anyone used this gizmo on your bike? It supposed to help with a choppy throttle response by changing the throttle cam shape.

g2-throttle-tamer-cam-profile-close-up.jpg
g2-throttle-tamer-cam-profile-close-up.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 20873 times

Product Description

G2 Challenge: Improve control of over-responsive power characteristics of most fuel injected motorcycles.

G2 Solution: The Throttle Tamer.

The Throttle Tamer incorporates a non-linear ratio between hand throttle rotation and carburetor or throttle body opening. The “pulley”, or as we call it, “cam” pulls the throttle cable as the rider rotates the grip/tube. By altering the conventional, circular shaped cam, a vast improvement in control is achieved.

The Throttle Tamer has a cam with a reduced radius initially, which requires a slightly farther rotation to achieve the same carburetor or throttle body opening position as a stock throttle. This virtually eliminates the jerky “throttle snatch” especially evident in modern fuel injected street bikes. The radius increases or “ramps up” after ½ throttle to keep overall rotation requires to reach full throttle at or near stock rotation. For most models the Throttle Tamer includes a 400 style cam profile, but some will have alternative cam profiles. The cam proven to be the best all-round solution for each model is used.

G2 Key Points:

Machined from 6061 aluminum in the USA!
Self-lubricating Delrin bushings at each end of tube eliminate aluminum-to-aluminum contact and provide an ultra-smooth feel.
Included cam is removable and can be replaced with alternate cams (sold separately) to fine tune control.
Fits inside the stock throttle housing to stock cables.
Works with all known aftermarket cruise controls.
Slide one of our Domino grips or your grip unto the Throttle Tamer.
Installs in minutes!
steve seitz

NAME: Steve Seitz
Bike(s): 14 Strom 1000 Adventure/12 Strom 650/07 Strom 650/07 Sporty
GPS: Laminated Bullet List
Bike-to-bike comm.: Primitive Hand Signals

Re: G2 Tamer Throttle Tube

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:29 am

I used a throttle tube with a cam designed to help my notoriously snatchy gen 1 Yamaha FJR. It was an improvement though not a cure-all and isn't a substitute for remapping the throttle response curve electronically.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:15 pm

I agree with Lee, I also put one from G2 on my 2006 FJR and noticed a small improvement, but not enough to make it worthwhile IMHO. And like he said, look for an EFI mapping module to do a real fix.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby OldButNotDead » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Like Lee and Bob they were a highly discussed item on FJR's, mainly Gen I and Gen 2's. IIRC Triumph triples had the same issue too, snatchy throttle cures. Also, IIRC no one ever completely cured the problem, but my Gen III had two throttle modes and no snatchiness which kind of supported the theory that the problem was fuel mapping to suit the EPS. Do know that dirt bike racers/riders bought a lot of the throttle tamers.
OldButNotDead

NAME: Rod Brown
Bike(s): R1200GS LC 2016
GPS: Navigator V
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 20S; MU350R

Unread postby Bob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Yeah, this all reminds mo of my old '06 FJR and I also remembered, those idiots installed extra-heavy throttle springs on the '06's which also contributed to the snatchy issues. Lotsa folks were so desperate they were sticking some home-made spring-hooks down into the throttle body area trying to disengage one of the springs. My right hand got cramps after about 15 minutes. <dope>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby OldButNotDead » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:10 pm

Bob wrote:Yeah, this all reminds mo of my old '06 FJR and I also remembered, those idiots installed extra-heavy throttle springs on the '06's which also contributed to the snatchy issues. Lotsa folks were so desperate they were sticking some home-made spring-hooks down into the throttle body area trying to disengage one of the springs. My right hand got cramps after about 15 minutes. <dope>

A guy by the name of Fred Harmon who was a great guy came up with a trick. You could lift the throttle spring off its retaining clip, let it go and it would fly around the shaft it was on and lighten the tension by one turn. If you wanted to smooth the Gen II's out the Power Commander III seemed to do OK, but they had things like the BARBARIAN Mod, and various other snake oils too. Funny, they had all these mods but it only developed a bunch of camps. By that I mean, guys who swore by one mod or another and guys who swore at that same mod. I was an old timer even back then and the mod I used was put my butt on the saddle and just twist the grip without thinking about it.
OldButNotDead

NAME: Rod Brown
Bike(s): R1200GS LC 2016
GPS: Navigator V
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 20S; MU350R

Unread postby steve seitz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Very enlightening discussion.

Thanks, Steve
steve seitz

Unread postby steve seitz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Besides Dyno-Jet, can anyone recommend FI mapping products?
steve seitz

Return to FARKLE-IZATION & RIDING GEAR