Login    Register

Wednesday January 25, 2017

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Wednesday January 25, 2017

Unread postby Brick » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Yes we rode some highlands...

I had reinstalled the Cogent modified Yamaha FJ-09 forks yesterday so I wanted to get out and check them out.
Here is the entry in my FJ log book. Image
That is written a bit wrong. I will correct it in the log. The stock set up was rebound in the right fork. Cogent added an adjuster cap, rod and valving in the left fork for compression damping. They also updated the rebound dampening and refilled with 5W oil. There is also preload adjustment in both forks. Cogent prefigured that the right setting for rebound and compression were for me and set it. It turned out that both were 7 clicks out.
This along with the new shock transformed this bike for me completely! I might still need to make a few adjustments for back road scraping but it's damn nice. I felt I might be wallowing a bit entering tight corners.

The ride today started at Lee's house where we measured sag and it turned out that 3 of 6 lines on the adjuster was very close to what is right.
Lee has wanted to checkout the "Pie in the Mountain" restaurant in Lancing, NC. And proceeded to lead me on some fantastic roads. Three or four of them are roads that I've never been on before. Super stuff!
I had temporarily mounted my SPOT tracker on this bike with a Ram Xgrip which really didn't fit well. I thought it would hold. Wrong-O... when we were almost to Lancing I noticed it was gone! So at lunch we found that this is the last location of the SPOT. Image we rode back there and looked for it but did not find it! Oh well it was the old original SPOT tracker. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say. If nothing else I'll wait for a sale somewhere and get a newer unit. I hope they will allow me to transfer the remaining time from the old unit to the new.
A great ride home and I got there at 5:04 after 208 miles.

BTW... the roads up in the highlands were pretty darn good.

The bikes at Lee's before the ride.
On a bridge... between two great roads.

Lee is supposed to send me his route. Great stuff. Sorry y'all missed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Re: Wednesday January 25, 2017

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:09 pm

The bet was that recent torrential rain cleaning the roads and temps in the 60s would allow a highland ride in the middle of winter. We won the bet because all things considered the roads were OK and the weather was beautiful. After lunch I went with mesh gloves and no jacket liner.

We stated the day checking sag on Bricks reworked forks and Cogent got the springs right. With adjustment in the middle of it's range, sag was in the middle of it's correct range.

As Brick mentioned, we had lunch at Pie On The Mountain in Lansing, a place I wanted to try. It's sort of semi-upscale but very reasonably priced - the food is good, I'd eat there again. They were out of a few ingredients so couldn't make everything on the menu and though neither Brick nor I cared our waiter was having a conniption about it. He was a bonafide nut!
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Clyde » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Like those of us on motorcycles aren't nuts, ha ha!! Clyde..glad you all had a good ride, to cold here in md

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Clyde

NAME: Clyde McLaughlin
Bike(s): Yes

Unread postby 007 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Sorry I missed this one due to that four letter word that shall not be written. But I did get to ride today and hit up the dog park. Good day today!

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS