Login    Register

11/8 Loner Ride

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
11/8 Loner Ride

Unread postby 007 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:15 am

A brisk morning in Winston Salem delayed my departure time, since I am in denial that we are headed into winter, despite 37 degrees and a FROST WARNING staring me in the face at 0600. I waited until about 0930 when 45 degrees showed up. This was the last ride on the VFR with Helibars and near end of life S20 EVOs (not unsafe, just starting to feel like garbage as most sport tires do with multiple heat cycles and sport-touring use). I wouldn't recommend the S20 EVOs. They are not a particularly bad tire, there are just so many others that stick as well or better, last longer, and wear in more uniform fashion. That being said, I can't say I didn't have any fun with them, and they do stick well despite frequently attempting to spin up the rear on corner exit.

14993504_10100582762017196_4200980425654596343_n.jpg

The southeastern portion of the Snake was covered in dirt, sand, gravel, you name it. I was told this was due to the annual ditch leaf cleaning. Jerks could have waited until January. I expect the Northwest section is likely to follow shortly. On a good note, the actual pavement is looking good. They appear to have finished paving the rough looking spots. The whole road is not completely repaved, but they did it in motorcycle friendly fashion where the whole lane is improved rather than half a lane resulting in a transition mid turn.

There were forest fires spreading through the area, but didn't really change much for me, other than mild respiratory irritation. The weather forecast recommended people stay inside, which was fine by me. More open roads this way! It did not stop a semi from trying to run the Snake. Thankfully, the road conditions slowed me down, or I may have had some issues. A car would have probably not made it past without a trip through the roadside gravel (at least the ditches were clean). I was greeted by a second semi about an hour later. They really need to be ticketed severely for failure to maintain lane among other problems. There are warning signs all over. <soap>

My US421 knee pucks still are not in, although the supplier is apparently a contractor for the Department of Defense and makes knee pucks on the side. No wonder they were so expensive. Shady dogs and jalapeno taters were fantastic as usual.

The route was finished off in the dark because no one likes the time change and I don't like riding into the city in Winston rush hour. This isn't like the rush hour in other cities, but still annoying. ADVmonster LED headlights are awesome, by the way. Who knew there are still LOTS of bugs flying around at night in 55 degree weather?

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Re: 11/8 Loner Ride

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 am

Given the snake's current condition plus this winter's freeze and thaw cycles I'm skeptical short of repaving the entire road next spring. I also ride the west side to make the trip there worthwhile and it's in rough shape.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS