Login    Register

Weekday Trip to Deals Gap

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Weekday Trip to Deals Gap

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue May 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Our ride instigator, Bob, called in sick but the remainder of us took up the flag and carried on. The plan was to stay in Robbinsville through tonight and return home tomorrow morning but rain is forecast starting tonight. We decided to cut the vacation a little short and ride the area until around noon today then bug out. We rode up and down The Dragon a few times, out and back on Cherohala plus many other fantastic roads. Lots of fun!

Here we are chillin on Cherohala.

Cherohala Lee Brick Broz 5_16.jpg
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: Weekend Trip to Deals Gap

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Oh, I'm not jealous, not in the least. <flip> <finger> <flip> <finger> <flip> <finger> <flipa> <flipa> <flipa>

Where was that pic taken--neat looking! Never mind, I see Cherohala.

I am almost over this shit and ready to re-trace the route--who else wants to go?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 pm

WhaHoo! What a Hoot!
"Danger" Lee, "I got a new horn" Broz and I had a big time... Inspire of missing Bob!
Broz has "mated" very fast with his new blue GSA! [THUMBS UP SIGN]
We met a guy in the MicroTel parking lot on a 1958 Zundapp 250cc 2 stroke bike. We talked with him and admired the bike. Later while Broz was down "admiring" his new GSA the guy gave us all a Zundapp t-shirt.
It's fun riding with someone who has never ridden on one of the great riding roads. [THUMBS UP SIGN] These last two days we rode some of the best EVER!
Sorry y'all missed it!

Let's Ride!
Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Broz » Tue May 10, 2016 7:39 pm

For all you sorry sacks that haven't been out there, GET OFF YOUR ASSES. YOU WILL THANK ME LATER. I know the Tail of the Dragon is overrated. Or that's what you've heard. But if you catch it on a non holiday non weekend it's fantastic. And that is just one of the great roads. Bob gave us a great route out thru BRP and The Great Smoky Mountain National Forrest and let me tell you that is a beautiful ride. I was asking myself why don't we do this monthly? In addition to the Cherahala Skyway ( Thanks NC DOT & Highway Patrol and TN too for closing the road for our own personal riding pleasure). Let's see don't forget NC 28, Moonshiners Highway and Walnut Creek and 281( Lee and Brick feel free to add the other good stuff or correct me if I got something wrong). Just one great road after another. Thanks Bob and Lee and Brick for all the great road selections. Most people have to pay for a rally to get it this good and all we have to do is take a couple days off work.

I don't think I mentioned all the beautiful lakes Western NC has to offer. Best kept secret.....until now.

If any of you hear that I was acting like 12 year with my new air horn I plead the 5th. Don't ask, you missed all the fun.

But I do have say our leadership and veteran old farts let us down......no one told us you better BYOB to Robbinsville. Yes no joke it is one of the last dry counties in NC. My theory is the Moonshiners have a lock on any liquor to be sold out yonder.
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Tue May 10, 2016 7:47 pm

I'll be back the Morganton way next week, let's go again! I can go this time!

Haha!

Glad y'all enjoyed yourselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live to ride, Ride to live.
PirateRiderBen

NAME: Benjamin Nathan Ealy
Bike(s): '08 K1200S, '99 VFR800, '05 K1200S, '07 BMW 328i
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 500
Bike-to-bike comm.: I yell REALLY loud.

Unread postby Marc K » Tue May 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Great that y'all got a chance to do the area. We've been riding the area for years now. My fathers family is from East Tennessee and a few relatives are still in the "Mareville" Maryville area. Great roads including several side roads at the end of the Skyway in Tellico Plains back to Hwy 129. Great moonshine in Knox County ! haha
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 10, 2016 8:18 pm

But I do have say our leadership and veteran old farts let us down......no one told us you better BYOB to Robbinsville. Yes no joke it is one of the last dry counties in NC. My theory is the Moonshiners have a lock on any liquor to be sold out yonder.

FYI: Alcohol in Graham County (Robbinsville). Graham County is a dry county, with the exception of 4 locations - SNOWBIRD LODGE located on NC143 at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway. Fireside Bar and exclusive restaurant reservations required. BLUEWATERS MOUNTAIN LODGE, located just off US129 north of Robbinsville. Beer & Wine served to guests only. Throughout FONTANA VILLAGE, beer & wine to go, restaurant by the glass, Bear's Den Lounge. TAPOCO LODGE, near the Dragon and Moonshiner 28; exclusive Jaspers Restaurant reservations required, beer, wine and mixed drinks to guests only.

Phillips Smoky Mtn Cafe in Robbinsville has a brown-bagging license and pretty good food too! How many iced-down 6-packs will those Bumot's hold Broz? <grin>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Broz » Tue May 10, 2016 8:34 pm

We were told Phillips was closed. And lots of beer had I only known. And no we didn't stop in Fontana. A reason to go back.
Broz

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Pics from Broz. I think he knows how to do this.... <smirk>
Attachments
IMG_5223.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG
IMG_5236.JPG
IMG_5237.JPG
IMG_5238.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG
Rotation of IMG_5217.JPG
Rotation of IMG_5218.JPG
Rotation of IMG_5220.JPG
Rotation of IMG_5221.JPG
Rotation of IMG_5222.JPG
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Broz » Tue May 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Broz wrote:We were told Phillips was closed. And lots of beer had I only known. And no we didn't stop in Fontana. A reason to go back.

When we asked around about where to get beer none of the locals mentioned any of those establishments. We were told a 20 minute drive and we were done for the day.
Broz

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Waaaaait a minute--I ain't taking the fall for this. Didn't one of our most esteemed and most SENIOR olde phartz <olfart> who shall go unnamned (coughbrick) recently make ELEVEN (11) trips to the Deals Gap area? Shouldn't HE have been well aware of and informed the younger and more vulnerable (read gullible) FNG's about the lack of suitable adult beverages in said area?? <muaha>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Re: Weekday Trip to Deals Gap

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 10, 2016 9:01 pm

WhaHoo! What a Hoot!
"Danger" Lee, "I got a new horn" Broz, and "Forgot to warn everyone Graham Co. was dry" Brick had a big time...

Fixed it for ya Brick ^^^ <grin>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Marc K » Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 pm

And you didn't meet Leighann across the street - 4'11" of East Tenn https://www.facebook.com/leighannwordpage/?pnref=lhc
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby 007 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:27 pm

The VFR guys originally ran the TMAC rally out of Robbinsville due to dry county issues. It is well known. Tapoco is highly recommended for meals and lodging - well worth it to avoid the circus where you guys took pictures looking like a bunch of tourists. Wait, nevermind, carry on....

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Broz » Wed May 11, 2016 7:28 am

Haha. Speaking of tourists taking pictures, while we were at the top of the TOD overlook there were a about 10 people looking over the stone wall taking pictures. Brick said, "Hey y'all taking pictures of poison ivy?" This lady said, "if poison ivy is bears." So we got to see momma bear and 2 cubs chewing on trash about 12-15 feet below us. Pictures are kinda crappy sorry.
Broz

Unread postby Brick » Wed May 11, 2016 8:25 am

beemerbob wrote:
WhaHoo! What a Hoot!
"Danger" Lee, "I got a new horn" Broz, and "Forgot to warn everyone Graham Co. was dry" Brick had a big time...

Fixed it for ya Brick ^^^ <grin>

Yea... yea... yea... I earned that tag! It seems the last few years we stopped at a microbrewery on the way and picked up beer. Or I went with someone who brought plenty.

Riding there is great! Guess I've become jaded. Also the last few times over there it has rained too.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Wed May 11, 2016 8:55 am

007 wrote:... Tapoco is highly recommended for meals and lodging - well worth it to avoid the circus where you guys took pictures looking like a bunch of tourists. Wait, nevermind, carry on....

I stayed in one of their cabins once--very nice. Only problem was there was a wedding going on and difficult in not impossible to get in the restaurant. But I really like the spot.

http://tapocolodge.com/about/#!
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed May 11, 2016 9:15 am

007 wrote:well worth it to avoid the circus where you guys took pictures looking like a bunch of tourists. Wait, nevermind, carry on....

Checking out the characters at the "circus" is about equal fun to riding The Dragon. For anyone even remotely into "people watching", it doesn't get much better.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Wed May 11, 2016 10:36 am

LeeDavis wrote: Checking out the characters at the "circus" is about equal fun to riding The Dragon. For anyone even remotely into "people watching", it doesn't get much better.

I agree and since you didn't take any pics there. I'll just post a couple I took from a previous ride for your motorcycling pleasure. <grin>

Thats Mrs. Beemerbob in the first pic on the left with the dam in background, the redhead sitting on the wall next to "Bones" Badass McGillicuddy from Sturgis. We were riding our RT's and felt kinda out of place at the "overlook" that day. <fonda>

s 059.jpg
Attachments
s 055.jpg
s v052.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Wed May 11, 2016 2:36 pm

Killboy.com got some good shots of us going over on Monday the 9th around 5:20PM. It's without the luggage so we have already checked in to the Microtel and I'm in the lead so it was on the way up so there should be another group of us going back down shortly after these.

<squid> <squid> <squid>

Found them at 2:38PM... <joecool>

Didn't look up US129.com or 129photos.com....
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed May 11, 2016 3:13 pm

I'm bummed out there were no photographers in the curve, to capture for posterity, my daring and DANGEROUS scrape of the left engine guard!
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Wed May 11, 2016 5:00 pm

LeeDavis wrote:I'm bummed out there were no photographers in the curve, to capture for posterity, my daring and DANGEROUS scrape of the left engine guard!

No problem, just run out to the garage, snap a photo of the grounded guard, and post it! <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu May 12, 2016 9:02 am

Brick wrote:Killboy.com got some good shots of us going over on Monday the 9th around 5:20PM. It's without the luggage so we have already checked in to the Microtel and I'm in the lead so it was on the way up so there should be another group of us going back down shortly after these.

The return leg photos start at 5:45 here:
http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/T ... 04RK02OU08
LeeDavis

Unread postby Broz » Thu May 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Here is a link to some of the pics on the TOD
http://xtremesportsphotography.photoref ... 717&pc=938

These are better than Killboy.
Broz

Unread postby 007 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:14 am

I'm game for a trip, but the last few days I was at Superbike School, I work this upcoming week, and the following week I will be riding WNC mountains at TMAC with the VFRD guys. Because of all these things taking time away from her, the imaginary girlfriend would have killed me if I tried to leave her alone for 2 more days. By the way, was there some sort of secret communication used to coordinate this ride? I didn't see a ride planning post... <pissed>

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Bob » Fri May 13, 2016 7:58 am

007 wrote:....By the way, was there some sort of secret communication used to coordinate this ride? I didn't see a ride planning post... <pissed>

You should be checking the UPCOMING EVENTS sub-forum too. Same place Ben just posted his WV ride. <olfart>

Edit: Don't depend on getting email notifications of new threads all the time. Sorry to say the notification system is not real consistent. Just log in daily and look at the home page--if there's anything new since your previous login, the blue arrow to the left of the forum will be flashing.

Or maybe you just need to "Watch" (Subscribe) to that forum also thru your settings.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS