Login    Register

Looks like another nice Wed and I'm off

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Looks like another nice Wed and I'm off

Unread postby Brick » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Whahoo! What an fing nice day for a ride! 5 of us. Me... Brick, Lee, Beachy, Broz and Bob rolled out of the gate station at 10:39.
Here's the .gpx of the route: http://www.checkmytour.net/pages/tourde ... 704f1057f5

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Re: Looks like another nice Wed and I'm off

Unread postby beachy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:31 pm

lots of fun and the weather,well it just get any better next time at bubbas it will be a burger
beachy

NAME: Ladd Beach
Bike(s): 04 fjr 12 versys
GPS: garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: sena 30k

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Great ride and no doubt we maxxed out our allotment of twisty curves for the day. It'll be interesting to find out what rarely used winter muscles have to say about it tomorrow morning. Good thing we rode with a little altitude because lowland temperatures were mid 80s. I got home around 5:30.

Most excellent lunch at Bubba's in Burnsville

COFSAT at Bubba's 3_16.jpg
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby tireatr » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:41 pm

I am surprised our small group didn't run into you guys. We started off at NC80 at the BRP, took back roads to Bakersville for Lunch ( Lee's, not too bad) did more up on the NC/TN border before running back down 226a. Sure was nice for mid March.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Unread postby Bob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:03 pm

tireatr wrote:I am surprised our small group didn't run into you guys. We started off at NC80 at the BRP, took back roads to Bakersville for Lunch ( Lee's, not too bad) did more up on the NC/TN border before running back down 226a. Sure was nice for mid March.

Need pics or it didn't happen. <grin> <pics>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:15 pm

tireatr wrote:I am surprised our small group didn't run into you guys. We started off at NC80 at the BRP, took back roads to Bakersville for Lunch ( Lee's, not too bad) did more up on the NC/TN border before running back down 226a. Sure was nice for mid March.

I saw three bikes in a gas station on 221/226 on our way up to ride 226A. Could that have been you all?
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:20 pm

Wow what a gorgeous day, sunny and 70'ish in the hills. Good company too! Thanks to brick for playing tour guide, all those roads north of Burnsville (esp the "Creeks") are a hoot! Brick also led us on a little "adventure" to the community of Lunday off of NC80. It seems to be a former flop house for railroad workers many years ago. Interesting spot right down on the Toe River with its own swinging bridge. I took a few pics.
Attachments
Resize of IMG_6947.jpg
Resize of IMG_6954.jpg
Resize of IMG_6958.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Broz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Great ride. I got to test out Lee's FJ 09 and Bob's GS. 2 years ago I rode Don's GS it was Pre water cooled. I must say Bob's bike was a blast. I don't recommend anyone test ride it, unless you're seriously in market or you might find yourself lusting over it.
It was a 342 mile day for me. <rdr> <thumb>
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby tireatr » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Brick wrote:

I saw three bikes in a gas station on 221/226 on our way up to ride 226A. Could that have been you all?

Hmm we were 4 bikes. We met at NC80 and the BRP all from different locations. We did see a group of dual sport Adv tourers pull off 80 north of Kona and go down a dirt road. I figured somebody on a MC lives there because there is very low traffic up on 80 between 19E and 226A. ....and Bob, I need to remember to take more pics now that I have to stop more often to stretch my hip. (Yeah it sucks)
tireatr

Unread postby Bob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:11 pm

tireatr wrote: We did see a group of dual sport Adv tourers pull off 80 north of Kona and go down a dirt road. I figured somebody on a MC lives there because there is very low traffic up on 80 between 19E and 226A. ....

Hah--that was ME! The others had just turned, I was bringing up the rear and I cut right in front of you guys, freaked me out, you seemed to come outta nowhere! We were visiting the Lunday, NC railroad "station" and swinging bridge over the Toe River--see previous pics above. Check it out next time you're up that way.

Sorry about your hip--whats wrong? I was recovering from lower back sprain on this ride, doing hamstring stretches every time we stopped. It is ALWAYS something. <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby tireatr » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Bob it seems I did some things in my workout routine that was doing more harm than good. Too much quad work not enough Hamstring work in addition I wasn't stretching enough. The result is hip flexor tightness. I have been seeing a massage therapist and doing the daily work to turn things around. I have learned that as I age, I have to be more mindful of balance. I used to be able to power through anything. Now with rotator cuff inflammation (no tears) and this hip problem I feel out of balance. I have faith hints will turn around. Some of it comes from being less active in the winter. Typically, once I get moving, I am good.

Hope to meet some new COFSTA guys this year.
tireatr

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:04 am

All this just makes me jealous. Here I am in the farm lands spending more time under the project bike than on any of them. But hey, got to get her ready to ride next time I'm that way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live to ride, Ride to live.
PirateRiderBen

NAME: Benjamin Nathan Ealy
Bike(s): '08 K1200S, '99 VFR800, '05 K1200S, '07 BMW 328i
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 500
Bike-to-bike comm.: I yell REALLY loud.

Unread postby Brick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:53 am

PirateRiderBen wrote:All this just makes me jealous. Here I am in the farm lands spending more time under the project bike than on any of them. But hey, got to get her ready to ride next time I'm that way!

Well Ben I could have posted that I got out and rode some gravel roads yesterday just to rub it in more but... I didn't post that. Because that would be cruel to tell you that Maple Sally was so nice I could have ridden my SV 650 on it. We were amazed no big ruts no deep loose gravel no mud. Now Globe road which is quite steep had some freshly applied gravel in a few spots that gave us old guys on big ass heavy bikes a moment. It was also pretty dusty. But the weather was glorious!
But I didn't tell you all that because I didn't want to rub it in. See how nice I am to you!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:40 am

Such a sweetheart Brick.

Live to ride, Ride to live.