Login    Register

Wilkesboro Foothills Ride

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Wilkesboro Foothills Ride

Unread postby Bob » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Yamadog and I rode backroads (including Brushy Mtn) to Wilkesboro where we met up with Lee Davis at Hadleys for lunch. I thought the food was greatly improved since the last time (which wasn't 'bad' then). Meatloaf & country style steak and very tasty cornbread. After lunch, we headed up my pre-ordained route, which was a fun ride in itself, but Lee suggested a couple of diversions that livened things up a bit. The first was a DS side trip down the gravel entrance to Stone Mountain State Park. We visited the old homestead where early settlers lived about 2000 years ago. Or was it 200 years? Anyway, it must have sucked big time to live there. The huge granite humps for which the park was named were just sitting there, since thats what they do. And some crazy people were climbing around the rock faces, as crazy people do.

Later on down the road Lee suggested we check out Rendezvous Mountain Rd. It led up a winding gravel track with great winter views of the valley, to the entrance to the state educational forest of the same name. Too bad the gate was closed until March. We'll have to check it out then. From there we continued down Longbottom Rd, Buckwheat Rd, Shingle Gap Rd, and Boone Trail to 421, where we parted company and headed back to Charlotte, while Lee headed off into the great unknown...? Man what a gorgeous day for a ride! <tour> Great food and company.

(I think my camera is finally giving out, pics are all kinda fuzzy looking)
Attachments
Resize of 1.jpg
Resize of 2.jpg
STONE MOUNTAIN
Resize of 3.jpg
CRAZY PEOPLE ON STONE MTN--YOU CAN SEE THE VULTURES CIRCLING OVERHEAD, WAITING FOR A SLIP-UP
Resize of 4.jpg
ENTRANCE TO RENDEZVOUS STATE FOREST
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Wilkesboro Foothills Ride

Unread postby yamadog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:03 am

Thanks Bob and Lee for a really great ride today. We found some nice roads to explore. Makes me want one of those "dirt" bikes! Wanting one and getting one are two very different things! Great food, roads and company. Thanks, again.
yamadog

Unread postby Brick » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:44 am

Glad y'all had a great ride. Great to see that Lee must be on the road to recovery. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby 007 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:08 am

And the climbers are probably thinking: there go those crazy bikers doing crazy biker things. :roll:

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:18 am

My 1st outing since the bad cold - lost a week and a half laying around the house! Anyway, fun ride and what a gorgeous day! Yeah, Hadley's seemed tastier than I remembered.

The new large screen GPS worked exactly as hoped by showing me all the roads between where we split off at 421 down to 268 so I could find my way through that section without getting confused.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:48 am

LeeDavis wrote: The new large screen GPS worked exactly as hoped by showing me all the roads between where we split off at 421 down to 268 so I could find my way through that section without getting confused.

I can see how that large screen would be helpful when navigating seat-of-pants with no route displayed, big enough to not have to zoom back and forth.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS