Login    Register

Ride Yesterday....

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Ride Yesterday....

Unread postby Bob » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Yarbi and I had a GREAT ride to lunch in Bakersville yesterday. Unfortunately, on our way home Yarbi had a get-off on Old 18 about 3 miles south of town in that first switchback turn where the road starts up a mountain/hill. Without going into all the details, he broke both wrists and spent a few hours at the hospital in Morganton. His wife picked him up late yesterday evening and he is now home getting surgery scheduled, or possibly already having it. The last I heard from him was at 2AM this morning.

Anyways, I wanted to let everyone know he'll be out for a while. If you want to email him, its dony1453@gmail.com .

Re. the bike, I feel sure it will be totaled. It was towed to Ramsey Motors and Wrecker Service in Morganton.

Bummer.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Ride Yesterday....

Unread postby Marc K » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Damn that sucks ! I hope the recovery goes well and he's back up soon <scoot>
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby 007 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:59 pm

Sorry to hear. Hope he heals up soon and gets back in the saddle. Any idea of the cause of the wreck?

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Big Bummer...get well soon, Don!
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:12 pm

Update from Don:
"I am doing ok. Just got back from the doctor and surgery is Friday. Plate in right hand & pins in left. Estimates six week in a cast on both arms and plate in right hand to prevent bending at the wrist for three months. Right hand is really bad. Oh well could have been worse. Thanks for asking. Don "
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Don... Damn! This sucks!
I hope you mend quickly!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Buddhistbiker » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Don't like to hear that. Brings back bad memories. My broken wrist was in cast for 12 weeks. Get well soon.
Buddhistbiker

Unread postby OldDuc » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Don, Sorry to hear that, man! Good luck getting healed up asap!
Tom
OldDuc

NAME: Tom Blocker
Bike(s): '16BMW R1200GS, '13 Duc Monster 1100evo, '14 KTM300xc-w;
GPS: BMW Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: Scala Rider G9

Unread postby Broz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Don I'm real sorry to hear about your accident. Not to be an jack ass but since you will have both hands casted I think you need to look into one of these ASAP. It one of those bidet toilet seats.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Things could be worse.
image.jpeg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 30015 times
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Ed » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Damn, I hate reading this... Yarbi, best wishes and get well soon!
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Buddhistbiker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:39 am

I have one of those Bidet. Its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Mine is a TOTO.
Buddhistbiker

Unread postby Brick » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Scott... Way too much information! [FLUSHED FACE]
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Brick wrote:Scott... Way too much information! [FLUSHED FACE]

Yeah. We didn't really need to know the mfgr. <muaha>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby yamadog » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Geez Don, what a shame! I have been out of town for a week and just heard. I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to you riding with us soon. For what it's worth, I think that is the same turn on old 18 that I had issue with last year. Took out a mailbox on exit. It can sneak up on you! Get well soon!
yamadog

Unread postby Yarbi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:44 am

With a head on collision with a car I was very lucky. Two broken wrists. The right is by far the worst. Went through surgery Friday. Lots of pins and plates. Had a rough day yesterday but the pain seems better today. I have received a lot of notes and nice thoughts. Sorry for not getting back to everyone. Typing is tough. Thanks again for all the thoughts.
Yarbi

Unread postby Brick » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:23 am

Last night at the Knobbies rally here inMorganton I talked with Seth Purdy. He said he met Bob at the accident. But that the first crew on the scene had already gotten to you. He not knowing what actually happened asked me if I knew. He mentioned the car but that was the first time I heard there was a car involved. He said that actually the bike didn't look to bad.
Since it's so difficult for you to type perhaps Bob can fill us in on what took place.
Sending best wishes your way for a speedy and full recovery!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby beachy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:41 pm

I hate reading these kind of posts it really stinks and I agree could have been much worse. Hope you heal fast. Be careful how much details you post on the internet lawyers tend not to like too much in print.
beachy

NAME: Ladd Beach
Bike(s): 04 fjr 12 versys
GPS: garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: sena 30k

Unread postby Bob » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:42 pm

Brick, yep as soon as I saw Seth's name badge it rang a bell--knobbies prez. Nice guy. For those who aren't familiar, Knobbies is a motorcyle club based in Morganton that brick is a member of, and Seth Purdy is an EMT called to the accident scene, who also happens to be president of the Knobbies. Small world. It was kind of surreal--Seth was talking up the Knobbies upcoming motorcycle rally in Morganton while Don was being attended to (by someone else) for a bad motorcycle crash. Not knocking Seth at all, this was just another routine call for him. Very likeable fellow.

Back to the crash---and beachy made a good point. And I did not *see it happen, I was up the hill when it happened, so I'll leave it to Don to discuss those details. Don & I were connected by BT and I heard him say "I'm down" as I crested the hill. What a sinking feeling, but nothing compared to Don's ordeal. When I got back down there, Don was walking around just fine but his right wrist was badly dislocated and that hand was useless. His left wrist wasn’t so bad and he could use it some, we were hoping it was just a sprain. No luck though. He also had 2 very nasty gashes on the front of each shin where I think his legs crashed against the crash bars (or cylinders). I didn’t know this until I looked down and saw a pool of blood forming on the road around each of his boots. We tied some cloth strips around his legs and got him to sit down with legs uphill and that seemed to stop the bleeding.

The bike, although at frst glance looked pretty good, had severe front-end damage. Fork tubes broken, wheel, brakes, radiator, headlight, shock, windshield adjusting system, fairing, fork braces---maybe even the main frame. Easily $12K-$14K in just parts based on BMW replacement parts in the fiche.

I know everyone would like to know exactly why it happened for our own edification, myself included. Maybe when Don is feeling like it he will chime in. But point taken about posting details (or opinions) of this online. There were 4 other persons involved in this in the other vehicle, which went into the ditch also, airbags deployed, though none appeared injured at all. But I'm sure the ambulance chasers have already sent the usual letters out by now. So probably the less said by me the better. (that’s always the case anyway, right? <dope> )
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Yea Seth said he was on the second crew to get to the scene. So he and his crew were to attend to those in the car and his part was to ask someone = you what happened.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:31 pm

Brick wrote:Yea Seth said he was on the second crew to get to the scene. So he and his crew were to attend to those in the car and his part was to ask someone = you what happened.

Oh--really? I don't remember him asking me any details but maybe he did, I just remember we spoke briefly and I may have given him my opinion. Which was just that, an opinion. The highway patrolman interviewed Don re. the specifics.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Marc K » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:36 pm

beemerbob wrote:Brick, yep as soon as I saw Seth's name badge it rang a bell--knobbies prez. Nice guy. For those who aren't familiar, Knobbies is a motorcyle club based in Morganton that brick is a member of, and Seth Purdy is an EMT called to the accident scene, who also happens to be president of the Knobbies. Small world. It was kind of surreal--Seth was talking up the Knobbies upcoming motorcycle rally in Morganton while Don was being attended to (by someone else) for a bad motorcycle crash. Not knocking Seth at all, this was just another routine call for him. Very likeable fellow.

Back to the crash---and beachy made a good point. And I did not *see it happen, I was up the hill when it happened, so I'll leave it to Don to discuss those details. Don & I were connected by BT and I heard him say "I'm down" as I crested the hill. What a sinking feeling, but nothing compared to Don's ordeal. When I got back down there, Don was walking around just fine but his right wrist was badly dislocated and that hand was useless. His left wrist wasn’t so bad and he could use it some, we were hoping it was just a sprain. No luck though. He also had 2 very nasty gashes on the front of each shin where I think his legs crashed against the crash bars (or cylinders). I didn’t know this until I looked down and saw a pool of blood forming on the road around each of his boots. We tied some cloth strips around his legs and got him to sit down with legs uphill and that seemed to stop the bleeding.

The bike, although at frst glance looked pretty good, had severe front-end damage. Fork tubes broken, brakes, radiator, headlight, shock, windshield adjusting system, fairing, fork braces---maybe even the main frame. Easily $12K-$14K in just parts based on BMW replacement parts in the fiche.

I know everyone would like to know exactly why it happened for our own edification, myself included. Maybe when Don is feeling like it he will chime in. But point taken about posting details (or opinions) of this online. There were 4 other persons involved in this in the other vehicle, which went into the ditch also, airbags deployed, though none appeared injured at all. But I'm sure the ambulance chasers have already sent the usual letters out by now. So probably the less said by me the better. (that’s always the case anyway, right? <dope> )

Good point. If it's written in this forum it becomes public record. Better left for round table over lunch. Most crashes are embarrassing enough - mine have been ! Esp when I had to tell the wife ! <dope> Yarbi can fill us in when he's healed up.
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby 007 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:48 pm

The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS