Login    Register

Yancey Ridge

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Yancey Ridge

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:43 pm

I'm a confessed heat wuss so my ride times are adjusted for the season...up early then on the road from 7am-Noon.

On today's ride I discovered the forest service removed the fallen tree that was blocking Rockhouse Creek Rd. so it goes all the way up to Yancey Ridge Trail east of the Yancey Ridge/Old House Gap intersection. That's kind of a big deal because it's now theoretically possible to get from Edgemont Rd to Roseboro Rd using Old House Gap > Yancey Ridge > Rockhouse Creek. Broz and I tried Yancey Ridge previously but turned back because it was getting wicked steep to a point of no return and we didn't know if it continued to another way out. Now, I know it does...maybe!

Here's video from from part of Old House Gap between Edgemont and Roseboro. https://vimeo.com/134220705

Lame attempt by the forest service to block Yancey Ridge Trail with boulders and a gate...phht! I think they're mostly about keeping out Jeeps and such.

DS Yancey Ridge.jpg
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: Yancey Ridge

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Nice vid--no mud baths this time? <muaha>

I saw a lot of moto tracks in the vid; you ever run into anyone up there? I thought I also saw a fallen tree that had been chopped up...? I am looking forward to some cooler days after Labor Day to get the DRZ up there! Save some fun for me. <scoot>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:19 pm

The video starts after the rock climb and giant mud hole but no, it didnt' get me this time. I'm wise to the sticky muck that lies at the bottom.

The tracks looked like there had been maybe a couple bikes through there fairly recently but the only riders I've ever seen on that road were 4 people on mountain bikes.

Crews have been busy in the area clearing major obstacles. The tree I mentioned that they removed from Rockhouse Creek Rd was massive - not something for couple guys in a pickup truck. There was a big operation going on at the Anthony Creek Rd bridge next to the waterfall beauty spot.
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:11 pm

I was out again early this morning here's video of a quick spin on the lower section of Trail #1 at Brown Mt OHV Trails about 20 miles from my house. It's a system of rated trails and what I was on is the easier lower section though the entire Trail #1 is rated as "easy". IMO, it's anything but and gives an idea of what rated trails are all about...they're tough!

https://vimeo.com/134327006
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:48 pm

It looked more eroded than old House gap but it also looks wider. ....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:58 pm

beemerbob wrote:It looked more eroded than old House gap but it also looks wider. ....?

Trail #1 is one of a few that allows Jeep type vehicles, hence the width. The other trails are mostly single track or just wide enough for an ATV. Bikes are the only vehicle type that are allowed on all the trails.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Broz » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:08 pm

Nice videos Lee. I cant wait to get back up there.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby yamadog » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:53 am

Nice vids, Lee. Kinda reminds me of my enduro days. You need to take this stuff fast and rely on your suspension. <2cents> Of course, we a are a bit older and all that sounds good but I know I couldn't handle it at speed! Still, it looks like great fun! Wish I had a DS. Keep the vids coming.
yamadog

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS