Login    Register

Roan Mountain and other places. 6-10

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Roan Mountain and other places. 6-10

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Well thanks to bob for suggesting the ride and to Brick for leading us. I have never been on probably 80% of the roads we were on today, and I had a good time. I was fighting myself and the bike for most of the day and couldn't seem to find my groove, but had s good ride nonetheless.

Also big shout out to Bob for helping me tweak my god awful suspension settings at a gas station in Red Hill. Figured out the rebound was set to 0 on my Tiger. Much much better on the rear end now.

Also, we can add loose chain and sore ankle to the list of excuses we had going today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433973118.491390.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433973105.784926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433973095.949296.jpg
Live to ride, Ride to live.
PirateRiderBen

NAME: Benjamin Nathan Ealy
Bike(s): '08 K1200S, '99 VFR800, '05 K1200S, '07 BMW 328i
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 500
Bike-to-bike comm.: I yell REALLY loud.

Re: Roan Mountain and other places. 6-10

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks to Brick for doing all the work! It was a lot more fun just following and not having to think about stuff. Like where to turn next. <olfart> Double Island,
Hughes Gap, Roan Mtn, 197, Crabtree Creek, Seven Mile Ridge, 181--it was ALL good!!

I took a couple of pics on the Bridge Over the River Toe. (sounds like an old war movie don't it? <smirk> )
Attachments
Resize of IMG_6635.jpg
Resize of IMG_6636.jpg
Resize of IMG_6639.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Hey it was all fun!
I don't think I've made that many U-turns in one ride in a long time. First we thought Ben must have run off the road... Then I "thought" I had left my phone at Bubba's Good Eats in Burnsville. Both turned out to be wrong. Ben has just gotten some kind of bug in his jacket and I found my phone after we turned around and I asked Bob to call my phone. It was in the pocket of my shorts under my Aerostich. Duhhh!
Great riding the weather was fantastic! Thanks all and good seeing Y'all again. It had been a while.

I must be out riding my Super Teneré'!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:30 pm

I'm glad I didn't run off the road! Haha anything was possible as bad as I was riding today.

PirateRiderBen

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:02 am

Fun ride guys! Good roads, nice views and cool temps at altitude. I got to see Bricks's SV650, Bob's new GS and Ben who I hadn't ridden with in ages.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Brick » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 am

Lee... And you almost got to go back to run over that guy's kids too!

I must be out riding my Super Teneré'!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby 007 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:35 am

Ben, you're also fat and dumb, neener neener. <poke> You can join my club anytime: Rebels Without A Clue. We generally try to look and act cool, falling far short of actual competence. So far, I am the only official member, as designated by the imaginary girlfriend.

Sorry I missed out on all the fun. The only barrier to my fun yesterday was an enormous truck with South Carolina plates who appeared lost, medicated, and/or suffering from small manhood syndrome. A local Focus driver collected behind me while following the truck, and appeared to be having just as much fun behind me. Eventually, the driver was kind enough to get out of our way, and I did succeed in making the imaginary girlfriend and her mother nauseated on 221, with minimal brakes on downhill hairpins and limited acceleration. I offered to pull over, but was told to continue because they are bad mamma jammas. Every time I sport drive a car, it reaffirms my love for motorcycles.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby 007 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:41 am

I am even more disappointed I missed out on chasing Brick on the SV650!

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:58 am

Oh, another 1st for me was 3 riders connected on the Sena intercom though after much fumbling around pairing seemed to finally happen with equal parts procedure, luck and magic. I'm going to have a look at the Sena instructions and see what sort of lies and half truths they have to say about it.
LeeDavis

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:27 am

I was the odd man out on the intercom situation. Apparently flailing arms aren't as popular as they used to be

PirateRiderBen

Unread postby Bob » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:33 pm

LeeDavis wrote:Oh, another 1st for me was 3 riders connected on the Sena intercom though after much fumbling around pairing seemed to finally happen with equal parts procedure, luck and magic. I'm going to have a look at the Sena instructions and see what sort of lies and half truths they have to say about it.

Lee, let us know what you think. As a side note, after we parted company I camped out at the Gate for 30 minutes eating & rehydrating in prep for the long slog in the heat, but I also re-paired everything back up thru the Nav5, i.e. phone paired with Nav5, Nav5 paired with SMH10, and SMH10 paired with SR10 (i.e. radar det.). It all worked *perfectly* on the way home, the radar would mute everything including music and turn-by-turn from the NAV5, and a press of the PTT (as if I were x-mitting) would mute everything also. Any audio from the SR10 would take precedence over everything. The pairing between the Nav5 and the rest was never interrupted. In short, as soon as the B-T intercom pairing was out of the equation it all worked great. So the big question is will the 20S give me this same functionality while intercom-paired with others....? I really miss not having access to the radar detector and B2B audio, and/or anything else I would want to run thru the SR10. I also found the static on the B-T rather distracting as we became separated, and it didn't take much distance in the mtns. This is more of an issue with the 3rd or 4th rider in the pack, assuming the first rider is the "A".
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:43 pm

007 wrote:I am even more disappointed I missed out on chasing Brick on the SV650!

Well it's still running so... there can certainly be another day! <squid>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:18 pm

beemerbob wrote:
LeeDavis wrote:Oh, another 1st for me was 3 riders connected on the Sena intercom though after much fumbling around pairing seemed to finally happen with equal parts procedure, luck and magic. I'm going to have a look at the Sena instructions and see what sort of lies and half truths they have to say about it.

So the big question is will the 20S give me this same functionality while intercom-paired with others....? I really miss not having access to the radar detector and B2B audio, and/or anything else I would want to run thru the SR10.

In theory the 20S does what you want because it uses dual bluetooth chips. Intercom is on its own channel and doesn't take one of the bluetooth slots like what's happening to you with the SMH10. Sena "theory" and Sena "reality" aren't always the same though so the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Some day when there's time we could pair your devices to my 20s, engage intercom then see what happens.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Some day when there's time we could pair your devices to my 20s, engage intercom then see what happens

Yes--that would work. Even better if theres a 3rd party to the intercom connection. Yamadog and I have intercom-paired our 2 SMH10's while also using our GMRS's and we could switch seamlessly back and forth between them, just by using which ever one we wanted to use--but it won't work that way with 3 or more intercoms on the SMH10's. It would be the best of both worlds if the 20S would allow this scenario with 3 or more paired. The question I have for the 20S is HOW or WHO initiates the B-T connections between several riders and can the paired riders "come and go" to the "party line" without issues. In print, it sounds cool--but like you said re Sena.... There are just so many different scenarios to test out.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS