Login    Register

Dec. 12 to Stone Mountain & beyond

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Dec. 12 to Stone Mountain & beyond

Unread postby Bob » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:18 pm

It was 37F when yamadog and I left Charlotte for Wilkesboro at 9:15, but those UV rays were making it feel about 10 degrees warmer! <joecool>

Arriving at Hadley's Restaurant at 11:15 we met up with Brick and Lee, and had a tasty lunch. From there we headed east and then north until we arrived at Stone Mountain State Park. We stopped at the main feature of the park, a re-creation of some early settlers at the base of the granite mountain. It is a giant reminder of the fact that we really do live on a really huge rock, covered in a very thin layer of vegetation.

Resize of 1.jpg
Resize of 2.jpg
Resize of 3.jpg
Resize of 4.jpg
Resize of 5.jpg

If you clik this pic and look closely, you can see a crazy person climbing around on the mountain.

Resize of 6.jpg

From there we continued along Longbottom Rd, Buckwheat Rd., Shingle Gap and a few more until it was time for yamadog and I to break away and head home to avoid Charlotte gridlock after dark. Lee and Brick continued on the remainder of the route, maybe they can finish up the report. It was a great day for riding, temps reached 60F, and sunny all the way! Good company too. <claps> (280 miles according to yamadog)
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Dec. 12 to Stone Mountain & beyond

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:19 am

Nice pics and a good route Bob - I really enjoyed wandering around the historic homestead! From 20 degrees when I woke up in the morning to 60 in the afternoon is an unusually large temperature spread. We rarely see more that 30 in these parts.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Brick » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:47 am

<squid> Excellent "Romp"... yes, romp that is what I would call it... and I needed that romp more than I thought. The route was fantastic! While I had ridden near Stone Mountain and even had lunch at that store/restaurant we passed on the way in I have never gone in and it was cool! The old homestead sure tells me how damn nice we have it! Compared to the people who lived there I didn't work many days of my life! Life was a lot tougher then for sure!
The route was great. I want to do it again... backward. While I had ridden most of those roads before I hadn't quite linked them all together like that and that is what made is so good!
Bob you still Da-ROUTE-Man! Thanks!

I ride a lot on Sundays with the Knobbies, the local club here and even when we break into the fast group and the others in the touring group our fast group doesn't Romp like that! I really enjoyed it!... can you tell? <icool> Those who missed it... sorry for you! <poke>
I heard that a couple decided to ride dirt in SC yesterday. I hope you had lots of fun too!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby yamadog » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks again for a fine route, Bob. Enjoyed every mile. Sorry we couldn't complete the whole thing. Maybe next time. My first trip to Stone Mtn. Enjoyed it and Brick is right, tough times back then. We have it soooo good. Running the route backwards next time sounds good. Great fun and company. Cool pics too! <pics> <thumb>
yamadog

Unread postby Broz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:18 am

Looks like you have dust on your cameras sensors. Note the spot in the blue sky.
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby OldDuc » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:34 am

Looks like a great day for you guys!! I took Broz down to Sumter Nat Forest near Whitmire SC for a nice trail ride, weather was perfect, trails in pretty good shape.
Fun to get the feisty Katoom out for a romp!!

Tom
OldDuc

NAME: Tom Blocker
Bike(s): '16BMW R1200GS, '13 Duc Monster 1100evo, '14 KTM300xc-w;
GPS: BMW Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: Scala Rider G9

Unread postby Bob » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:48 am

OldDuc wrote:....I took Broz down to Sumter Nat Forest near Whitmire SC for a nice trail ride, weather was perfect, trails in pretty good shape.
Fun to get the feisty Katoom out for a romp!!

Tom

Need pics or it didn't happen. <muaha>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Broz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:04 pm

I wish it didn't happen. I busted my ass too many times to count. Today my knee is killing me and I'm hobbling around like a cripple. Can't even get out and wash my gear. <violin> This is what I feel like. <dedhrse> <BS>
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Bob » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Broz wrote:I wish it didn't happen. I busted my ass too many times to count. Today my knee is killing me and I'm hobbling around like a cripple. Can't even get out and wash my gear. <violin> This is what I feel like. <dedhrse> <BS>

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger. <muaha>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby 007 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Faster than the Knobbies fast group? HOLY COW. I didn't realize Bob could romp like that.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Bob » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:51 pm

007 wrote:Faster than the Knobbies fast group? HOLY COW. I didn't realize Bob could romp like that.

Neither did I, lol. <bugeye>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS