Login    Register

Diamondback loop and a short ride to Mount Mitchell Rest.

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Diamondback loop and a short ride to Mount Mitchell Rest.

Unread postby philter » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:06 pm

It was great to get the FJR out on the road. Had loaded up the Combi-Camp and was ready to go when the Wed. ride was called off. Said the hell with it I'm going anyway. Took a couple of hours to get to Marion and the Lucky Strike Campground, very friendly and 20 bucks for the night, water and electric, and a decent, small restaurant. {more of a kitchen and office combo and you eat in big rocking chairs on the porch}. Campsites by the river so you hear the water all night which is nice. My Metro phone works there, and watched some movies on the laptop. Went to Dangerous Dans Campground the next morning, it is beautiful, and also on a river. He gave me good advice where to go and one of his map/brochures that is very well done and highlights several good runs. Rain was still hanging over Charlotte but didn't get to Marion till around 6 in the evening so I rode 80 up to the BRP and south to Mount Mitchell for lunch, went back North on the BRP and did the Diamondback loop back to Marion. Had a great time, got several good radio stations on my Scala Rider Q2 Pro. and was back at the campground before the rain started. Pulled up camp Thursday morning, no one was coming from Charlotte so I headed back to Laurens.
Attachments
combi all set up.jpg
combi all set up.jpg (65.18 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
combi and 07 lefft.jpg
mount mitchell menu.jpg
mount mitchell 1.jpg
philter

Re: Diamondback loop and a short ride to Mount Mitchell Rest

Unread postby Bob » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:17 pm

Phil, great report and pics!!! Is that camper trailer as big as it looks or is it just the camera angle? It provides a very neat looking camper. Your plan was great--leave a day early and camp out for $20/night. Sorry the weather screwed up all our plans. Lets try that again soon. You can lodge with dangerous dan next time! <tour>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS