Login    Register

Friday the 13th 226A Ride and it didn't rain on us!!

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Friday the 13th 226A Ride and it didn't rain on us!!

Unread postby Bob » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:38 pm

Ed and I headed up to the Halfway Hdwre where we met up with 007. We then rode Old 18 up to Morganton and met up with Marc K at the Gate. From there we took 126 around Lake James and then took 226A up to Little Switzerland. The new asphalt was great; however the local f**kwits haven't figured out how to negotiate corners without running off the road and kicking those nice new gravel shoulders onto the asphalt. Maybe in a couple months there wont be any left to spray around. I also think there is quite a bit of new guardrail in the corners. We then took Bearwallow over to Arbuckle and NC80 to Bakersville. 80 isn't much fun any more, lots of deep grooves in the chipseal and gravel in the corners. I think I'll stick to Double Island for that run. After a delicious lunch at Helen's in Bakersville we took 226 and Altamont Hiway to the BRP north, and then 181 to Morganton. The weather was very nice, cool and clear. Here's the obligatory pic to prove it happened. <grin>

Resize of IMG_5996x.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Friday the 13th 226A Ride and it didn't rain on us!!

Unread postby Ed » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:29 pm

Just over 320 miles door-to-door, and really enjoyed the chance to get out for a run <thumb>

On the way home, had fun playing "DeathRace 2000" with an idiot in a red Blazer on Old 18; his masculinity evidently challenged/threatened by motorcyclists, he was all over the road trying to teach us the fast way down (seemed to require a great deal of crossing the double-yellow)... I took advantage of a chance to pass him, and according to Bob (following) that's when the fun&games really kicked in as the jerk experienced some sort of testosterone overload <icool>

Based on Bob's reports over the radio, I somewhat expected numbnuts to do something rash- which fortunately never materialized. We paused for a few at Halfway, then headed down to meet our Fate on 485... which was something of a non-event for a change, a pleasant surprise on a hot day.

Good to meetcha Steve and Mark! ...look forward to riding with y'all again soon.

Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Marc K » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Enjoyed the ride ! A lot of miles for my first time out in while. I need to get my butt back in shape ! <olfart>
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby 007 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Great times, gentlemen. I generally try not to pass the testosterone twits unless I plan on hauling ass on great pavement and fully intend to make their manhood shrivel. That actually happened on rt 8 in VA south of the parkway at Tuggles Gap the week before last. I disappeared in about 4 corners (would have been 2 if we were going uphill), went down the mountain, turned around and gave them the universal "what took you guys so long?" look as I passed them going the other way:
<finger>
Actually, there was no bird involved, but I felt that way.
I generally don't encourage people to drive on both sides of the road to compensate for their lack of skill and general stupidity, since they will probably hit me one day head-on coming around a blind corner. May be on drugs, too. When they win the reckless driving award, we all lose.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Brick » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:15 am

Sounds like a great ride!

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS