Login    Register

DS NC-105 & Table Rock

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
DS NC-105 & Table Rock

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat May 03, 2014 8:03 pm

I didn't get to DS ride with Broz and Tom because I had the KLR apart again doing some mods to beef up the rear subframe and luggage rack then fixing the right lower fairing I broke last week falling in the mud hole.

Thursday: Fairing glued back together, filled with bondo waiting to set for sanding.

KLR Fairing Bondo.jpg

Friday: Painted - ready to put it all back together and ride!

KLR Fairing Painted.jpg

Saturday: Time to ride.
I headed up NC-105 and it was a lot more gnarly than I thought it would be - a good thing. At higher altitude the leaves are still thin so I could see across the spectacular Linville Gorge for much of the way. There're a bunch of trails off NC-105.

Here's Pinnacle trail. All those notices stapled to the sign are telling us we can't do any rock climbing until 2016 because the Peregrine falcons already got dibs. Darn, I'm all about climbing sheer rock cliffs.

Pinnacle Trail Sign.jpg

A little ways down the trail they've got these dirt mounds blocking the trail to discourage motor vehicles. Again darn, what kinda deal we can't ride motorcycles in the gorge?!

Pinnacle Trail Block.jpg

A little further on there was a turn off opposite the gorge with an open gate. Hot damn!

NC-105 Side Rd Open.jpg

Nice road and it went on a few miles to the top of another mountain to some big cell phone tower installations. And then...another gate so backtrack to NC-105

NC-105 Side Rd Closed.jpg

Next up was Wiseman's View and what a view it is. Here's one of the 2 vantage platforms.

Wiseman's View Overlook.jpg

Looking down the gorge to the south.

Wiseman's View Gorge.jpg

Table Rock on the other side.

Wiseman's View Table Rock.jpg

That was it for NC-105 and I exited north then came down Table Rock Rd to where it intersects with Old Table Rock Rd which I wanted to check out. No dice because it's gated closed. The forest service weenies are messing with my fun. So, staying on Table Rock Rd I spied this little trail heading off to the left.

Table Rock Rd Side Trail.jpg

You can't tell it from the picture but that trail slopes down at around 30 degrees - very steep. Not something I'll try alone but maybe another day when when there's a few of us up there. All told a fantastic ride with gorgeous scenery and much screwing around to investigate and poke at things. Definitely worth the time.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: DS NC-105 & Table Rock

Unread postby Brick » Sun May 04, 2014 6:27 am

I agree those roads are great. I too have seen when 105 has been pretty gnarly too. That is one gorgeous gorge for sure!

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

DS NC-105 & Table Rock

Unread postby Bob » Sun May 04, 2014 8:07 am

Nice pics and report. Makes me wanna go! And I will. Soon. <grin>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Broz » Thu May 08, 2014 7:09 am

Nice report, great pics. Bob and I are prob gonna ride it tomorrow 5/9. Let us know if you're interested.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu May 08, 2014 9:06 am

Broz wrote:Nice report, great pics. Bob and I are prob gonna ride it tomorrow 5/9. Let us know if you're interested.
Broz

I hate to miss this but my patched rear tube started leaking again so it's off the bike waiting for the replacement to deliver. My KLR is starting to think its parking place is up on the bike lift getting fixed for whatever I broke last.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Broz » Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 pm

That's why your always supposed to have a Spare tube on hand.
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS