Login    Register

DS Roads Less Traveled 4/23

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
DS Roads Less Traveled 4/23

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:58 am

Tom, Broz and I took off for some dual sporting and to try out some unexplored by us roads. They didn't disappoint.

The forest service road between Table Rock Rd and 181 is similar quality to Table Rock Rd so that's a nice discovery. Next new road on the list was Old House Gap Rd - quite an adventure. It goes on for miles and a lot of it is single track rocks. See video and pics below. The last road to try was another forest service that would be a nice alternate to get over to Maple Sally but it was gated and closed. Crap! We took the regular way down to the little store on Edgemont, stopped for a drink, talked to The Guy In The Wheelchair, then up dusty ass 90 to Maple Sally. Broz had a hilarious tip over trying to outrun some dogs chasing him near Maple Grove Church. With Broz on the ground the dogs declared victory and left. I got home with the bike and me covered in grime and dried mud - redneck fun!

Here's video of Old House Gap Rd. The 1st 30 seconds is from where we started then it cuts to part of the mid-section up to where we took a break to gird our loins. https://vimeo.com/92831155

Getting fired up to to tackle Old House Gap

Old House Gap Rd 4_23_14.jpg

Here's what happens when I decide to go through a mud hole rather than around it like Broz and Tom. Oops! My cohorts found this very entertaining so it wasn't all wasted effort.

Old House Gap Mud 4_23_14.jpg
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: DS Roads Less Traveled 4/23

Unread postby Bob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Wow--great ride! I wanna see the mud hole on video! <udaman>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:22 pm

beemerbob wrote:Wow--great ride! I wanna see the mud hole on video! <udaman>

I'm trying to recover the trashed video file that captured that. My camera and GPS both decided to crap out in the mud. Worthless slackers!
LeeDavis

Unread postby Broz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Nice road selections Lee! What a great day. Loved Maple Sally too, and lets not forget the Bob's Creek Crossing section. I enjoyed the video but for those that were not there the video does not begin to show the challenges that road had in store for us (except seeing Lee's windshield bouncing up and down). Next time I encounter dogs I will just let them try to get me as opposed trying to out run them on a unfamiliar road.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Bob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Anybody got a track of the whole day they can post? <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:05 pm

beemerbob wrote:Anybody got a track of the whole day they can post? <olfart>

Because the unmapped by Google forest service road I wanted to take over to Maple Sally was closed the Google Map of the route I posted in Upcoming Day Rides is exactly it. http://goo.gl/maps/KkdKT Well, everything except the little extra for lunch at Christa's.
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Broz wrote:I enjoyed the video but for those that were not there the video does not begin to show the challenges that road had in store for us (except seeing Lee's windshield bouncing up and down).
Broz

Video tames all roads without exception which is why you see so many boring ass ride videos. If you see a road that looks interesting in the video you can be sure it's one heck of a road.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Yeah, that road that was gated, I call the Mortimer Bypass--scoots around the north side between Edgemont and 90. I have only ridden it once--that was the only time I ever passed it and it was open. A week later it was closed again. Dunno why the forest service is so damn picky about that road. <banghd> Its a nice little stretch.

Strange, Old House Gap Rd is listed as Grassy Prong in Mapsource.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:22 pm

LeeDavis wrote: Video tames all roads without exception which is why you see so many boring ass ride videos. If you see a road that looks interesting in the video you can be sure it's one heck of a road.

Agreed. That road looked like a steep rutted rock garden to me. Was it uphill the whole length?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 pm

beemerbob wrote:
LeeDavis wrote: Video tames all roads without exception which is why you see so many boring ass ride videos. If you see a road that looks interesting in the video you can be sure it's one heck of a road.

Agreed. That road looked like a steep rutted rock garden to me. Was it uphill the whole length?

It doesn't really show up that way on the video but it's more, up/down/up/down...endlessly in close succession. Too bad the 2nd video corrupted because we had to make a not long but very steep climb over large, loose rocks right after the break. If the bike speed wasn't just-so you crashed, either from bogging down or getting tossed off the trail.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Brick » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 pm

Excellent! I think it might have been too tough for me on my big pig! I would love to do that on January Clapp's new (used) Yamaha XT250 dual sport!

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby beachy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:31 am

looks like a lot of fun. nice video Lee
beachy

NAME: Ladd Beach
Bike(s): 04 fjr 12 versys
GPS: garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: sena 30k

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:49 am

beemerbob wrote:Strange, Old House Gap Rd is listed as Grassy Prong in Mapsource.

Both Garmin Maps and OpenStreetMap I used to create the route call it Grassy Prong so that's more likely correct but I displayed the route for the forum with Google Maps which calls it Old House Gap so that's what I've been using. Road naming conventions on maps for that area are all over the place.

I'm going to explore some more from the north side which is a little bit easier ride and try the turn off to Yancey Ridge Trail then back down to Roseboro on Rockhouse Creek Rd. Should be fun! http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/36.0603/-81.8005&layers=N
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:51 am

It looks like the northern-most section of Rockhouse is also called Old House Gap...and it connects into the Old House that you road close to Edgemont. You're right, i think people up there have called these roads whatever they wanted to for centuries (2 or 3 anyway) confusing the mapmakers. <banjo>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Broz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:31 am

If you want the tracks go find me on Checkmytour and look for ride on 4/23. I started the tracks when we pulled off 181 to air down our tires and forgot to shut it off until I was on I-85 almost home.
FYI Bruce (the guy in electric wheel chair at the general store) also called it Old Gap House Rd. It sounds like it is the go to rd for most challenging roads because he said, "If you want a good road......."there was a gated rd about halfway on O ld G ap House that was closed.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:48 am

I discovered my dump into the mud broke my lower right fairing. It's made from polyethylene plastic so I'm going to have to get a special Loctite glue to mend it then fill and paint. It's always something!
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:57 am

LeeDavis wrote:I discovered my dump into the mud broke my lower right fairing. It's made from polyethylene plastic so I'm going to have to get a special Loctite glue to mend it then fill and paint. It's always something!

I had crash bars on my KLR. It fell over on 105 into a ditch and not a scratch. Course they add a few lbs..... <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS