Login    Register

April Fools Ride Report

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
April Fools Ride Report

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:37 pm

We had a fine ride down to Lake Lure and the area south of Hendersonville, with Brick covering many of the crowd favorite roads using his amazing GPS-less navigation skills. Following a chilly, overcast start the clouds parted and it warmed up to a perfect day. The roads were salt and grit free and traffic was very light. I don't think we had more than a couple of group passes all day. Lunch was at whats-its-name Italian place up the road from the BBQ joint which wasn't open. Very tasty!

Here the boys are - Brick, Don, Broz, Bob and Scott up on Pinnacle Mt.

COFSTA 4_1_14 Pinnacle Mt.jpg

There's gotta be a little misery or it just wouldn't be right. After we split up for home here's Scott's flat tire getting the sticky string treatment. No problemo!

COFSTA 4_1_14 Flat Tire.jpg
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: April Fools Ride Report

Unread postby Yarbi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks Brick for the great roads!!! What a great day. Thanks. Don
Yarbi

Unread postby Brick » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 pm

I had a BALL today! Damn, from 46 degrees with electric jacket and gloves to 80 degrees and taking off all I could!
I think Scott has a magnet in his rear tire... Another nail!! Damn!
So if I'm the leader of 5 fools on a ride on April Fools day... what does that make me?
[FLUSHED FACE]

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Brick wrote:So if I'm the leader of 5 fools on a ride on April Fools day... what does that make me?

Well, in the 1st pic your leading everyone up the mountain on the wrong side of the road. And, they're following. Just sayin'... :lol:
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Brick wrote: So if I'm the leader of 5 fools on a ride on April Fools day... what does that make me?
Brick

The damn fools leader lol. <muaha>

Sure wish I cudda been a ridin' fool today too. Instead I took my bionic knee to the gym and felt like its finally starting to loosen up. Gonna shoot for a ride in 1 week. <rdr>

And nice ride report and pics, Lee! <thumb>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Marc K » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Great report. Wish I could've been there. Friday through Sunday weather is looking good. Unexpected surgery towards the end of the month and I will be out of the saddle until mid June. Damn
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby Bob » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Marc K wrote:Great report. Wish I could've been there. Friday through Sunday weather is looking good. Unexpected surgery towards the end of the month and I will be out of the saddle until mid June. Damn

Damn Marc, I can empathize with THAT! I've been out 3 weeks today and it feels like 3 months. <violin>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Broz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:18 pm

image.jpg
April fools
Great day thx For leading us Brick. BobL where did you disappear to? I felt like when we split up we must have looked like Keystone Cops.
Here are a few of my pics.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Marc K » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:43 pm

beemerbob wrote:
Marc K wrote:Great report. Wish I could've been there. Friday through Sunday weather is looking good. Unexpected surgery towards the end of the month and I will be out of the saddle until mid June. Damn

Damn Marc, I can empathize with THAT! I've been out 3 weeks today and it feels like 3 months. <violin>

I feel ya ! I'm trying to get some rides in before I undergo the knife. Wish work would cooperate ! <banghd>
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby 007 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:51 am

Sounds like a great ride. I finished my work around 1pm and unpacked my new summer race boots. They are sturdy and will need some break-in time, but decrease my feel at the controls, so took a while to get used to. Washed the car and the bike before the ride. Came back to a nicely manicured yard, too.

So I went for a ride to finish breaking in my front tire since the last ride didn't quite do the trick and I don't need to lean it as far with my Ohlins suspension (the bike turns stupid fast now, at least for a K bike). I trolled a couple of dudes on sportbikes, one on a late model R1 and another on an older GSXR. They pulled over and I passed them on 268 and then followed me. I let them catch up and we ran for a while up and back 268 and they were doing OK, but not great. We head back to Rt 8/89 to the twisty section, and they decide they are going to try to keep up. I was all over the throttle with some controlled slides, which are so nice with Ohlins.

At one point I look back and no one is there. I turned around and the guy on the R1 parked his bike and was calling EMS on his cell phone. The GSXR is gone, and apparently flew into a ditch about 40 ft deep. I couldn't see the bike or the rider. I went up the road and turned back around to get on their side of the road since there was a small shoulder to park over there, and by that time the other guy was going down into the ditch. I decided to go to the hospital that was just down the road a couple miles to see if I could get somebody's attention, preferably without wrecking myself, since there was no way I would serve any purpose in the ditch. I wasn't about to go down the ditch and try to move the guy without a stretcher, considering it probably would cause more harm than good. An ambulance and another emergency truck passed me on my way to the hospital, so at least help was close.

I hope the dude is OK. He probably hit several trees on the way down. I wasn't pushing that hard and still have an eigth inch unused strip on both sides of the front. He must have had old tires or maybe high sided. If anyone hears news about this, let me know. We were on 89 just outside of Danbury. I feel bad for leading them faster than they could handle on a tricky section of road and not really being able to help them. I really hope he is OK. Be safe, guys. I hope to join y'all next time.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Ed » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:41 am

I feel bad for leading them faster than they could handle on a tricky section of road

No reason why you should; it's the riders' responsibility to know when to push, and when to ease off.
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby 007 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Ed wrote:
I feel bad for leading them faster than they could handle on a tricky section of road

No reason why you should; it's the riders' responsibility to know when to push, and when to ease off.

That is what I told myself, but still can't help to think I should slow down. I was having a lot of fun until that point. The ambulance coming to get him crossed the double yellow, good thing I gave him most of my lane to use. At that point, I just enjoyed the pretty colors of the sunset on the cruise home and hoped for the best.

<scoot>

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Bob » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Anything in the local area news online about the crash?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS