Login    Register

Ride to Lake Lure and beyond--Sun. 3-2-14

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Ride to Lake Lure and beyond--Sun. 3-2-14

Unread postby Bob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:24 pm

It was partly cloudy and 50F when Broz & I left Charlotte at 9:15 enroute to Lake Lure, by way of the Lake Lure Expressway (see pic below). That route is a great alternative to slabbing it on US74, with lots of high speed sweepers, elevation changes, and NO traffic! And Broz led the ride trying out his brand new Zumo (Garmin replaced the old one with the latest/greatest).

As we approached the Lake Lure area (in record time I might add), the radio suddenly crackled "Hey Bob, is that you? This is Lee". It was Lee Davis and Jeff "Haulin" Ashe along with his bride Terry. They were gassing up at the Ingles in Lake Lure, which is where we were headed. Small world. After chatting a few minutes, they proceeded on the route I had emailed Jeff the day before (Saluda-->west). Broz and I had a bite to eat at Ingles and then headed west on 74, then back over the mtn. on Morgan Hill Rd. and down Old Fort Hwy and on into Marion. Then we took 126 around Lake James into Morganton and Old NC18 towards home. Old 18 is such a classic road, what a great way to finish a day of twisties. <claps> About 285 miles door-to-door, 7 hours in the saddle, and home by 4:15PM. <tour> <tour> <tour>

"LAKE LURE EXPRESSWAY" route
lake Lure Expwy.png

Resize of IMG_0330.jpg

Resize of IMG_0331.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Ride to Lake Lure and beyond--Sun. 3-2-14

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Good seeing you guys at Ingles!

We tried to do the 2nd half of Pinnacle Mt Rd where it turns to dirt at the antenna and come out the other side. Unfortunately, dirt turned into wet, greasy clay with foot deep potholes and ruts, I guess where logging trucks go through there. After a couple miles of that it got to be about 50/50 that we would drop the bikes at some point so we decided to give it up and backtrack. What could be better than adventure riding on FJR's with Jeff and Teri 2-up!? We made it back - no harm, no foul and BIG FUN!! Got home a little after 6:00.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:59 pm

LeeDavis wrote:Good seeing you guys at Ingles!

We tried to do the 2nd half of Pinnacle Mt Rd where it turns to dirt at the antenna and come out the other side. Unfortunately, dirt turned into wet, greasy clay with foot deep potholes and ruts, I guess where logging trucks go through there. After a couple miles of that it got to be about 50/50 that we would drop the bikes at some point so we decided to give it up and backtrack. What could be better than adventure riding on FJR's with Jeff and Teri 2-up!? We made it back - no harm, no foul and BIG FUN!! Got home a little after 6:00.

You guys are nuts! <bugeye> lol Last time I was thru there was on my KLR and it was large chunks of gravel down that hill past the antenna, but we took it all the way down to Reasonover Rd. You were planning on exiting it on Sky Valley I assume. Very scenic ride up there isn't it!
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm

We were well past Sky Valley Rd before we gave it up for a lost cause. The bikes were in deep isht. Had to turn them around one at a time with Jeff spotting for me then me spotting for Jeff.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Yeah, the gravel turns to some kind of yellow clay after Sky Valley. We even had problems on our KLR's <yikes> . There were a couple places we had to detour thru the woods to get around some huge mud-wallering holes that covered the road. Wudda been fun on an ATV. :lol:

Have yall ridden Green River Rd? (Not Green River COVE Rd). It's dirt, runs thru a scenic preserve south of Pinnacle Mtn Rd, becomes Reasonover RD when it turns paved. Maintained pretty good, FJR could do it.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:29 pm

That was the MASTER PLAN - we were going to come out on Green River Rd. It worked out...not so much. <grin>
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:57 am

Here are a couple of camera phone pics from Skyuka/White Oak Mt. The view from up there was spectacular.
Waterfall 800.jpg
Teri and Jeff near FlatRockNC 800.jpg
LeeDavis

Unread postby Brick » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 am

Sounds like you all had a great day riding. [THUMBS UP SIGN] Man that is some tough stuff on a FJR!! You are nuts!
We left the Timberwoods with way too many riders... 15!! The first Sunday of the month is picnic day. We went to Duke power state park lake Norman. Then we rode over to visit Gary Lackey. Image
He is scheduled for surgery on his broken foot Tuesday AM! Sure wish him the best and speedy recovery.

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Bob » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:12 am

Damn, it hurts just to look at Gary's foot. Sure hope it heals in record time so he can get back on 2 wheels!! <thumb>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 am

Foot/ankle injuries can be bad news. Really, really hope for a full recovery. I was behind a friend in some twisties when he lost control and went off the road dropping 15' through the air into a creek bed. It crushed his heel and he was potentially crippled but managed to be OK after a year of reconstruction and rehab. He gave up riding. It drives home the point about paying attention and watching our ass out there.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Ed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 am

beemerbob wrote:Damn, it hurts just to look at Gary's foot. Sure hope it heals in record time so he can get back on 2 wheels!! <thumb>

Dang, it does indeed... get well soon, Gary!

Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Bob » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Nice pics Lee--that is a very unique spot up there. <pics>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby 007 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Here's to a speedy recovery. I heard from one of my TN VFR buddies that somebody flew off a cliff on US129 and was airlifted to the ICU. I suppose it could be worse. Keep the rubber side down, guys and gals. Personally, I will ride until I am physically unable. <olfart>

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS