Login    Register

Friday the 13th ride to Uwharrie

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Friday the 13th ride to Uwharrie

Unread postby Bob » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Ed and I headed out at 10:45 today from the QT on US74, taking the Uwharrie route sent to me by Capo. Temps were 40'ish and sunny. The roads over to Uwharrie were GREAT! <rdr> This was my first time to Uwharrie and also on the back roads TO there--shame on me, after 43 years of living in Charlotte, lol. After lunch in Albemarle, we took 109 and Ophir Rd., then up Thayer Rd. which was on one of Lee's routes. Suddenly it turned to gravel/dirt, but in excellent shape--for about 3.5 miles. We then made a pit stop at the Pisgah Covered Bridge site. Then back down Ether Rd. to Star and back up 109, then down River Rd. and the route back to Charlotte. There were some other roads we took in between but you get the picture. The route back to the QT was also excellent, home by 4:00. Thanks to Jim for sending them to me. <joecool>

Didn't do much picture taking but here's a couple. I'm ready to go back and try a few more roads we missed over there. Really impressed with the overall ride. Even hillbilly Brick would probably enjoy this one! <muaha>

Resize of 1s.jpg

Resize of 3s.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Friday the 13th ride to Uwharrie

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:55 pm

If you didn't do them make sure you include Flint Hill Rd and Love Joy Rd just north of Troy next time. They're the twisty-est roads in Uwharrie.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:34 pm

We did part of Flint Hill but not Lovejoy. Will catch them next time. Come on down and ride with us! <tour>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Ed » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Good stuff- we had a great time! ...I'd been "through" the Uwharrie a bazillion times, but had never been off the main drag straight through; lotsa nice fast sweepers and smoothly-surfaced roads... hell, even the 'dirt' road was nicer than some of the mountain roads we ride <yes!>
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:03 pm

beemerbob wrote:We did part of Flint Hill but not Lovejoy. Will catch them next time. Come on down and ride with us! <tour>

Maintenance just about finished - I reassembled the valve cover and coolant pipe, started the engine and nothing's leaking. Hope to have it all buttoned up tomorrow. I'll be ready to ride for next week.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Brick » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:09 am

Bob,
You are right I do think I would like riding over that way.
I too, like Lee, almost have my bike back together. I hope to finish it tomorrow.
Sunday there is supposed to be a Knobbies ride from Timberwoods after breakfast to Rockingham to meet some riders over that way.
YMMV

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS