Login    Register

R1200GS Waterhead ride report

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
R1200GS Waterhead ride report

Unread postby Bob » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:56 pm

OK, I rode one today. Bob Wrench at the BMW dealer was nice enough to lead me on a 20 minute or so ride in horrible traffic, but its Charlotte, what the hell, right? Bob rode the RT in the pics. The result: my 2010GS will have new Ohlins on it within a week. The wet head has more horses, for sure, and is quicker--but thats about it. The windshield was horrible, why would they design a new adjustable windshield that doesn't shield the wind? The fueling was unpredictable and snatchy. Clutch engagement inconsistent. It has lost the visceral growl that I so love in my 2010 GS. The motor is TOO smooth, yet it sounds tinny. The entire bike just had a cheap, unrefined feel to it. I know lotsa folks are raving that its the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wonder how many of those folks came from a previous Camhead GS like mine?

So thats my story and I'm stickin' to it! <bana>

Brick, is Gary Christopher at Ohlins the guy to get the MSTA deal thru, or someone else I should talk to? Man, I can't wait to get those new shocks on!! <tour>

Resize of IMG_5830.jpg

Resize of IMG_5832.jpg

Resize of IMG_5833.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: R1200GS Waterhead ride report

Unread postby Yarbi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:42 pm

I am surprised about the windshield? I haven't ridden one, only sat on one, but it sure looks like it would work ok. I guess I need to ride one also. I haven't yet because it will be a couple of years for sure before I am ready to start looking around.
Yarbi

Unread postby Bob » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Yarbi wrote:I am surprised about the windshield? I haven't ridden one, only sat on one, but it sure looks like it would work ok. I guess I need to ride one also. I haven't yet because it will be a couple of years for sure before I am ready to start looking around.

Yep, the windshield was a shock to me also. I figured this would be one thing they had plenty of time to redesign and would get it right. I tried it in all positions. At any speed from 20-70, if I raised my face shield the wind was turbulent and square in my face and noisy as hell. Behind my Givi AF330 shield on my GS, I can ride with my face shield open all the time if I want. Zero wind, and quiet. I imagine yours works similar...? There was just zero incentive for me to "trade up" to that bike. If you can call it that. A real disappointment.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Bob,
Wow... After listening to Gary Lackey glow about his water head I'm sooo surprised by your test ride.

Yes, Gary Christopher is the one to ask for. Go for it! Also tell him that as soon as I get my headlight problem fixed I'll be over for suspension for my Tenere'.

<bana> <bana> <bana>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Bob » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Brick wrote:Bob,
Wow... After listening to Gary Lackey glow about his water head I'm sooo surprised by your test ride.

Yes, Gary Christopher is the one to ask for. Go for it! Also tell him that as soon as I get my headlight problem fixed I'll be over for suspension for my Tenere'.

<bana> <bana> <bana>

OK, thx, will call Gary C. right now.

Yeah, I talked with Gary Lackey re. his and like you said he is enamored with it. And so are quite a few others. To each his own, I guess. Glad you're still happy with the Super, about TIME for new shocks isn't it? <pissed>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Woohoo, shocks on the way from Ohlins! Gary gave me a super deal too!! I should have them Tuesday. <bana> <bana> <bana> <bana>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bluetiger » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks for the info Bob. I have been jonesin' over the new waterhead. Looks like I'll just keep the Tiger a while longer.
Bluetiger

Unread postby Bob » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Bluetiger wrote:Thanks for the info Bob. I have been jonesin' over the new waterhead. Looks like I'll just keep the Tiger a while longer.

Don't do it on my say-so. Take it for a test ride. But if it was I who was in the mkt. for a beemer today, I'd be looking for a low mileage 2012 Camhead model GS.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bluetiger » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:08 am

I plan to ride one, no final decision made yet. I certainly haven't ruled out a leftover or used cam head. Ducatibob is talking up the multi and I'd also like to try out the KTM 1190. Decisions, decisions.....
Bluetiger

Unread postby Bob » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 am

Ride a GS & a Multi back-to-back at the local dealer. Thats what I did the day I made up my mind. But RIDE one whatever you do!
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Whatever you do don't ride the Yamaha Super Tenere' ... it's an exclusive club. We wouldn't want to spoil you. Besides you need to spend the extra money to buy a BMW or a Ducati!

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Bob » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Brick wrote:Whatever you do don't ride the Yamaha Super Tenere' ... it's an exclusive club. We wouldn't want to spoil you. Besides you need to spend the extra money to buy a BMW or a Ducati!
Brick

Yeah, you SHOULD ride a Tenere! Its a fine bike, I rode Brick's and it has all the "stuff" we're all looking for in the adv category. I'm not so sure about the big price difference though....? <wave>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bluetiger » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:34 am

The Tenere is an interesting option. But if I buy one of those, I'll probably just squander all that leftover money foolishly. The smart money says just keep the Triumph. It is long paid for and quite capable. If I do decide to buy something, I should give the Yammy a shot at least. As for the exclusivity of the club, I will paraphrase Groucho Marx -- "I'm not sure I want to join a club that would have me as a member".
Bluetiger

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS