Login    Register

Weds. 10-30 Ride to the SSSSSSNAKE!

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Weds. 10-30 Ride to the SSSSSSNAKE!

Unread postby Bob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 pm

We had a big crew today--Brick, Broz, Steve, Scott, Yamadog, and I met in Morganton and hooned it up 181 for lunch at Christa's. Always tasty stuff there. Then we took 194 & Georges Gap to Mountain City for a fling at "The SSSSSSNAKE" (hisssssing sound). <grin> We rode "Snake-South" and "Snake-North", then headed up thru the world famous Backbone Rock to Damascus, Va. where we picked up US58--non-stop twisties and scenic too. Then over White Top Mtn. and 194 down thru Todd to NC16, and down the Mtn. for home. Broz counted 391 miles for the day--thats a lot of ground to cover with a large % of it fairly technical. Home at 6:45. Weather was perfect, warming to the 70's even at elevation. I had a BLAST! Here's a couple of pics. <pics> You shudda been there!! <rdr>

RIDE THE SNAKE--NORTH TO SOUTH
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5dAZVv ... sp=sharing

007 REACHING FOR HIS WALTHER PPK
Resize of IMG_5820.jpg

PIT STOP AT TOP OF GEORGE'S GAP
Resize of IMG_5822.jpg

WAY THE HELL OUT IN BFE :lol:
Resize of IMG_5826.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Weds. 10-30 Ride to the SSSSSSNAKE!

Unread postby 007 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:11 am

Couldn't ask for better weather today. I'm still amused when the occasional angry driver takes it personal when we pass them and then try to keep up. My last trip to Western NC involved some of that - the guy was so pissed, he crossed the double yellow and ran off the road just to keep me in sight, then ran a stop sign in a busy intersection (after I had stopped, but he didn't) to yell at me on the way by. Of course I made it very difficult for him to hit me and eventually slowed way down to let him pass since we were back in civilization by that point. He was yelling at my group, jumping up and down in the seat, for about 10 miles as we followed him. It was a shame I couldn't hear what he was saying with my earplugs and music. My sincerest apologies to all those we offended while having fun today.
<yes!>

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby yamadog » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 am

Nice pics. Had a blast. Nice to meet the NFG. Thx for a well planned route Bob.
Yamadog
yamadog

Unread postby Brick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:42 am

Whahoooo I too had a blast yesterday! It has been a long while since the SV650 has been exercised and I enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed following Steve (still the FNG) up 181. Steve you are so smooooth a rider it was a joy watching. It also proves a young dog can teach an old dog a few things. Well it may just be reminding the old dog but none the less I learned/re-learned the importance of being smooth. I was thinking about this after I left the group at Todd and went down 194 toward Boone. The new bike... the Super Tenere is so easy to ride that I've gotten sloppy with some things of importance like the smoothness and the late apex.
Yesterday with all the wet leaves it was quite difficult to stick to the late apex. I took many a wet curve the straight easy way to so as minimize my lean on said wet leaves. Excellent route Bob and I got home with 250 miles.
Good to see you all again and good to meet you Steve.
I hope we can get another nice day soon as I'm ready now!

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby 007 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:14 pm

Rather be smooth than fast, any day. It keeps the bike happy, too. Always glad to slow down in the wet stuff. There were plenty of corners for mishaps, glad we avoided them. Never once had it step out of line. That won't keep me from upgrading the suspension to Ohlins, though. I wouldn't mind jacking up the rear end a little to sharpen turn in a bit. Anything to keep the rubber side down and the smiles going!

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Re: Fri. 10-25 First Foothills Ride of the season

Unread postby Yarbi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Looks like you all had a great ride, as usual. I am back home and looking forward to the next ride. Don
Yarbi

Unread postby Bob » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:09 pm

The SSSSSnake--North to South. Yeah, baby! <bana> <squid> <fonda>

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dAZV ... sp=sharing

The fun starts after the work delay....

(Nice vid Broz!)
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT