Login    Register

Princeton, WV and back

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Princeton, WV and back

Unread postby charlieg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Sorry, I didn’t take any pictures. Kept meaning to but keep forgetting. However, if I had taken pictures and if it had really happened...

We rode up to Tazewell, VA on Highway 16 and then US 460 from Tazewell to Princeton. The ride from Marion, VA to Tazewell (The Back of the Dragon) was great, you were right, Bob. My brother-in-law says that he liked it much better than The Tail of The Dragon for many reasons - no crowds, better elevation changes and turns, etc.

Princeton is an excellent base camp, you were right again, Bob – great tip. Nice choice of hotels and plenty ‘o food!

We didn’t have time to go further North because of the trip only being a one nighter. However, I did find the route below for a really good ride back down to the BR Parkway. Awesome roads, twisties and sweepers.

A quick hop down I-77 through the tunnel at the border of WV and VA, then US 52 to Wytheville, VA, The route from Wytheville to the BRP was the nice ride:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Wyth ... 2&t=m&z=10

Next time, I will take pictures...
charlieg

Re: Princeton, WV and back

Unread postby Bob » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Yeah, US52 (the "Scenic Highway") is nice, sure beats 77. Were they playing Bluegrass at the little store when you crested Big Walker Mtn. just before going down into Wytheville? (theres a lookout tower up there also). I see you took that nice ride along the New River thru Fries, VA--scenic little spot. Next time try for 2 nights in Princeton, LOTS of wonderful roads up there to ride! <squid> Looks like the weather was also superb. <thumb>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby charlieg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:51 pm

beemerbob wrote:Yeah, US52 (the "Scenic Highway") is nice, sure beats 77. Were they playing Bluegrass at the little store when you crested Big Walker Mtn. just before going down into Wytheville? (theres a lookout tower up there also). I see you took that nice ride along the New River thru Fries, VA--scenic little spot. Next time try for 2 nights in Princeton, LOTS of wonderful roads up there to ride! <squid> Looks like the weather was also superb. <thumb>

It was Sunday morning and we got behind a van going about 20-25 mph for a long stretch (on his way to church - he finally turned off at the church) on US 52 and I don't recall hearing the music at the little store. I was probably too busy cussing and being un-Christian like. :evil:

Definitely a return trip and 2 nights sounds like a plan.

BTW, my buddy from GA was wanting me to join him and some guys over in TN this past weekend. I chose to do the WV ride instead. They got pulled for doing 55 in a 40 - $270 fine!
charlieg

Unread postby Bob » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:56 pm

charlieg wrote:BTW, my buddy from GA was wanting me to join him and some guys over in TN this past weekend. I chose to do the WV ride instead. They got pulled for doing 55 in a 40 - $270 fine!

That didn't happen to be in Bluff City, TN did it? <pop>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:01 pm

charlieg wrote:It was Sunday morning and we got behind a van going about 20-25 mph for a long stretch (on his way to church.... :evil:

So....why was that a problem??? <fonda> <fonda> <fonda> <fonda> <fonda> <fonda> <fonda>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby charlieg » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 pm

The van was a problem because we couldn't get an opportunity to pass him. So I cussed and stayed in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Also, I am not sure where in TN they were but it must have happened because he took a picture!
Attachments
1185026_10201221115682227_1444233510_n.jpg
1185026_10201221115682227_1444233510_n.jpg (23.45 KiB) Viewed 13820 times
charlieg

Unread postby Bob » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Well its pretty obvious why Barney Fife wrote THAT ticket. Look what he's riding. <muaha>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS