Login    Register

1/26/21 Where’s the Sun ride.

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
1/26/21 Where’s the Sun ride.

Unread postby Brick » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:39 pm

So as the day started more and more cancelled on the ride that was supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny! 10:00AM at the Gate saw Scott, Adrian, Aiden and I ride out in cool gray weather that was damp and well... cold. The idea was it had to be warmer south of Morganton... right? Not so much today. By the time we got to Columbus to stop at the Mexican restaurant for lunch it was still in the 40s. I also had forgotten to turn on the Relive app. So after lunch I decided to ride up the Saluda grade and down Green River Cove road. WhaHoo on 175 going up the Saluda Grade the sun comes out the roads start to dry and I see 56 degrees! Well that didn’t last long. Down Green River Cove road the temps drop and wet road is the norm. We did get some dry roads to ride but the temperature was a cool 45 as we approached Morganton. No pictures today and only the afternoon captured on Relive. I logged 188 miles on the day.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqDQGDB3wv

Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Re: 1/26/21 Where’s the Sun ride.

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:51 am

The weather guy screwed up big time on this one--I saw the blue skies roll in right about sunset. <dope> But today we're back to the same old shit--its winter. <BS>

(But it was better than couch surfing, right?)
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby tireatr » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:30 am

I had to drive down to Marion to pick up my ATV. By the time I got out it to ride was 12:30 and 66 degrees in Little Switzerland.
I Rode west through Madison county, then went through Asheville ( just a few miles on I-240 to get to Fairview). Took Old Fort road off 74 and as I rode towards McDowell county the temps dropped 20 degrees. Glad I had my electrics with me. Last 75 minutes in the mid 40’s until I started climbing the ridge again. Got back home ( 3800’ elevation) and it was 55

Watched the evening weather and they talked about this abnormality called Cold Air Damming. Basically the cold air dams up at the ridge and can’t get over the mtn. It was in the 60’s all afternoon in Yancey/Mitchell/Madison counties.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Unread postby Brick » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Yea the weather guessers certainly got it wrong... we should have ridden today. It was 68 degrees here in Morganton a few minutes ago.
Damn

I did use the nice weather to wash my bike. We rode about a mile and a half on a slimy un paved road yesterday and that shut was hard to get off! My black bike looked gray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby tireatr » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Yeah, I saw the nice sunny skies and felt the warm temps, as I left the mtns headed back to Charlotte at lunch. Really wish I had made plans to stay, but that dang weatherman said it would rain then snow today, so I made commitments. they really blew it this week.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS