Login    Register

Sunday 1/21 Gate to Saluda

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Sunday 1/21 Gate to Saluda

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Scott, Brick and I took off from Gate and dodged our way through assorted stuff down to Ingles. By 11:30 it warmed up nicely and I ditched the jacket liner and got out the mesh gloves. Meltwater, salt and grit on the Green River Cove Rd switchbacks heading into Saluda was...interesting. 20 Harley riders beat us by minutes at the Saluda Grade Cafe so lunch was slow but tasty. The final "not sure if this is a good idea" road was up and down White Oak Mt. No problemo!

Brick atop White Oak Mt. Scott is back at his bike fiddling with something.

COFSTA Brick Whiteoak Mt 1_18.jpg
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: Sunday 1/21 Gate to Saluda

Unread postby Bob » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:59 pm

It happened! Glad yall made it safely, sorry we crapped out but just saw way too many ice patches on roads in the shady areas to feel comfortable. Probably wudda been fine 2 hours later on.... <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Oh it happened!! And it was f-ing fantastic!!! It has been wayyy tooo long since I have gotten out on a bike!!! I had 6” of snow in that last storm. I’m not supposed to shovel snow because of my heart and back (yes getting old!). I waited 2 1/2 days and had to do a little to get out! This AM it was 31 at my house and I had black ice. I spread kitty litter and rode out. Then right before Piedmont rd there was more. I took it easy and rode across it. [THUMBS UP SIGN] we saw a lot of crap on the roads but no more ice! I think I was the only one who slid a little and a that was on sand on Golden Valley Road. Some tense moments on Green River Cove Road but even that was fantastic! Image Image Image yes the Tenere’ got dirty! Thanks to Lee and Scott! I’m supposed to ride with others for a while until someone or something (me) is sure I won’t have another heart attack. .. yea like I can predict that!!! Anyway I’m sorry the rest of you didn’t make it. It would have been great to see all y’all again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby tireatr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:39 pm

What a difference a day makes. Just 24 hours prior, that entire section of grass behind the LS Inn was snow covered. Glad y'all had some good riding. I did 100 miles local Charlotte) and it felt great to be out on two wheels. Spent a lot of time and money with bike maintenance the past two months. After Rick T finishes with my red Tuono full Ohlins service, I should be GTG and ready to ride.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Unread postby Bob » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 pm

tireatr wrote:What a difference a day makes. Just 24 hours prior, that entire section of grass behind the LS Inn was snow covered. Glad y'all had some good riding. I did 100 miles local Charlotte) and it felt great to be out on two wheels. Spent a lot of time and money with bike maintenance the past two months. After Rick T finishes with my red Tuono full Ohlins service, I should be GTG and ready to ride.

If you're talking about the 2nd pic above, thats on White Oak Mtn, not the LS Inn.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby tireatr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 pm

ahh, my bad!
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore