Login    Register

Sunday somewhere

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Sunday somewhere

Unread postby Bob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Scott, Rod, and I met up at the Gate for a day of frolicking in the CHILLY highland temps. It was great! We were stopping to change layers/etc just like in the fall. It was 58F on top of Roan Mtn, which is where my one and only pic was taken. My new/replacement bike ran good, just like the old one (3 months old <violin> ). Had lunch at Carolina BBQ in Newland, still pretty tasty vittles at very reasonable prices. Then we ran over Roan, down thru Bakersville, 197 to Jacks/Coxes Creek to check out the new asphalt. Back down 19W to 19E and took the parkway back up to 181. About 348 miles for me, it was so nice to get back out after 3 weeks off. <bana>
Attachments
Resize of IMG_7323.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Sunday somewhere

Unread postby tireatr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:59 pm

I was going to try and connect with you guys for lunch but I didn't get out until around 1:00pm. Rode Double Island,197, Huntdale rd, 19W, Tilson Mtn road, Sams Gap Windy Gap and made a circle back to Little Switzerland. Quality over quantity Next 2 weekend look open and mild. Good time to catch up on riding.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:14 pm

The Working Stiffs (Jeff, Greg) and me rolled out early, as planned, to check out The Sssnake. It has new, pristine asphalt on the east side up to Shady Valley and part the other side heading west. Though IMO unfinished, it still gets its reputation back as a prime twisty road especially since a lot of people aren't even aware that the west side exists.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby 007 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:44 pm

LeeDavis wrote:The Working Stiffs (Jeff, Greg) and me rolled out early, as planned, to check out The Sssnake. It has new, pristine asphalt on the east side up to Shady Valley and part the other side heading west. Though IMO unfinished, it still gets its reputation back as a prime twisty road especially since a lot of people aren't even aware that the west side exists.

When were you guys there? We were eating lunch about noon and then ran some laps on the North side with the locals on the CB and my buddy Josh chasing on his FZ10. I followed him a few times to let him open it up, but he didn't get far. T30 EVOs stick like glue on the angry hornet. <thumb>

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:02 am

007 wrote:
LeeDavis wrote:The Working Stiffs (Jeff, Greg) and me rolled out early, as planned, to check out The Sssnake.

When were you guys there? We were eating lunch about noon and then ran some laps on the North side with the locals on the CB and my buddy Josh chasing on his FZ10.<thumb>

We hung out at the Shady Valley store a little before noon to see who might show up then decided to have lunch in Mountain City. From there we headed back south on Big Laurel, 88, Howard's Creek... Sounds like we couldn't have missed you by more than a few minutes.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Buddhistbiker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Was only 215 miles for me. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Buddhistbiker

Unread postby Bob » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Nice pic of the view from Roan--been there a zillion times and always neglect to take that. Its really quite a view, as good or better than Mt Mitchell and only 500 ft. shorter. Lower. Whatever. <grin>

Hey Scott, you don't need to rub it in. Its 170 miles just for me to get to Morganton and back. I may start camping in your back yard.

This pic was begging for a caption:

Resize of ed8e665009eb6c03deae68f4a6c0ccx80.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:25 pm

BawwwwwHahaha!!!! LMFAO!!!!
Too funny! Love it!!! [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby 007 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Some guys were talking about connecting to a radio on my last ride and I referenced you guys spending all sorts of time fiddling with the radio rather than riding due to various SNAFUS.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby OldButNotDead » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:39 am

007 wrote:Some guys were talking about connecting to a radio on my last ride and I referenced you guys spending all sorts of time fiddling with the radio rather than riding due to various SNAFUS.

What you couldn't see is Bob was talking to me while I had in ear speakers stuffed in my ears and I couldn't hear a word he was saying. LOL

FYI - Most of the "fault" is me. I link to tinker. I had the radio situation solved, but could I leave it alone----NO! I have two 20s's and two MU350r's. Each Sena had its own setup. What happened on Sunday was I put the wrong Sena on my helmet. It still had VOX in the configuration setup on it. When I turned it VOX off, all was truth and light.
OldButNotDead

NAME: Rod Brown
Bike(s): R1200GS LC 2016
GPS: Navigator V
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 20S; MU350R

Unread postby Bob » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:02 am

Glad you finally got it figured out. I recall Jeff Ashe giving the Sena Vox a try one day and ditching it after 30 mins. but that was in intercom mode. Wasn't aware it also worked when using the GMRS. I've never seen a vox setup that worked as advertsed.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS