Login    Register

Riding amongst the rain showers

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Riding amongst the rain showers

Unread postby tireatr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 pm

I caught up with a riding buddy I had not seen in a long time. He got a rare opening in his schedule so we planned the weekend in the hills. We Did 500 miles Sat-Sun in the mtns and got rained on for 5 miles Sunday around Mars Hill. Rained all over the usual Riding area for me ( Yancey/Mitchell/Madison) Saturday so we knew the weather tendancies from reading the surface maps and went N to Rogersville TN and rode Tn 347 then 66 & TN 70. Fun Stuff, Saw black skies over Johnson City on the way back, went south then east and stayed dry. Stayed at the Lynn Lodge Saturday night. Nice place although they did run out of food for dinner Sat night <pissed> Wandered over to the LS Inn for a nice but $40 dinner Uggh.

Sunday we did a loop over to Hot Springs and did 209 and 63 to 1001 back to Marshall. We skirted most of the rain Sunday until we got caught under a cloud for 5 miles. We could see the sunny skies ahead, just had to get there. note to self : going bald rear tire and rain make for interesting acceleration <grin>

Point being, some days you just have to make the commitment and dodge the rain using the radar and cloud navigation. Oh and if you find yourself west of Jonesborough TN on the two lane 81 not the interstate, stop at Rooster Robs. the French toast is amazing.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Re: Riding amongst the rain showers

Unread postby Bob » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Agreed--and if weekends were the only time I could ride I'd make it happen somehow. <scoot>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby tireatr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:00 pm

I am Jealous of the retirees here <rdr> but my perspective was of my own. I "could" have canceled, but I didn't. I've been so often snake bit the past 2 years with rain on track days and riding trips (more than one day) that I was becoming jaded and frustrated, not remembering that riding around the rain can be fun and challenging. I don't desire to ride in all day rain, but it's going to rain in the mtns somewhere, almost any day. The key is reading the weather maps, looking at the radar and the skies. I was pleased that I got a good weekend in minus some anxiety and 5 miles of a heavy downpour Sunday.
tireatr

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Ooo yes, end-of-life tires and wet roads can get spooky.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby 007 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 pm

If this ride was with Kimball, he seems to be a rain magnet. I can't go anywhere near the guy without storms brewing in the Gulf and drenching every bit of NC and TN.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby tireatr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 am

007 wrote:If this ride was with Kimball, he seems to be a rain magnet. I can't go anywhere near the guy without storms brewing in the Gulf and drenching every bit of NC and TN.

Yea, that guy is trouble <poke>
tireatr

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS