Login    Register

Southern VA back country trek

If there's no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Author
Southern VA back country trek

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Scott, Richard, and I had a fun trek thru the hills north of West Jefferson today. After lunch at Plaza Del Sol in Jefferson, we rode a loop that included Old NC16, NC93, US21, Comers Rock Rd, Flat Ridge Rd, Whitetop Mtn Rd, US58, NC194, NC88, US421, and some more too numerous to enumerate! <grin> Weather was cloudy, cool, and dry--temps in the 60s, and dropped into mid-50's in places. I even ran my heated grips. It was great--why didn't YOU go with us? <scoot>
Attachments
Resize of 1.jpg
NEW RIVER
Resize of 2.jpg
WHATCHA LOOKIN AT SCOTT?
Resize of 3.jpg
TOP OF WHITE TOP MTN
Resize of 4.jpg
CHILLY UP THERE
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Southern VA back country trek

Unread postby 007 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:01 am

Went riding 2 of the last 3 weeks. Ran out of juice and rear tire on the way home Tuesday (although probably would have joined if the rear tire cooperated). Several runs up and down 28 were totally worth it <yes!>

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Bob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:00 am

007 wrote:Went riding 2 of the last 3 weeks. Ran out of juice and rear tire on the way home Tuesday (although probably would have joined if the rear tire cooperated). Several runs up and down 28 were totally worth it <yes!>

28? NC28 thru Highlands?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby 007 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:45 am

Bob wrote:
007 wrote:Went riding 2 of the last 3 weeks. Ran out of juice and rear tire on the way home Tuesday (although probably would have joined if the rear tire cooperated). Several runs up and down 28 were totally worth it <yes!>

28? NC28 thru Highlands?

My favorite section is between Franklin and where it turns into highway with 74. I made several laps up and back through there.

Unread postby tireatr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 am

007 wrote:
Bob wrote:

28? NC28 thru Highlands?

My favorite section is between Franklin and where it turns into highway with 74. I made several laps up and back through there.

You mean Hellbender? lolz. From the rules and regulations of the Motorcycle community handbook book Chapter VII "Good/Popular roads in the Southeast must be named after snake/reptile /Devil". In this case the hellbender is a little frog/fish looking thing.

Steve did you make it over to Cullowee Mtn road? Add it your list. braches off Tilley creek in Speedwell; Connected wuth Walnut creek, Norton rd, and 107 can be a very enjoyable loop just before Lunch at the Cornucopia on 107 in Cashiers....or the Smokehouse on 64 will do too.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Unread postby Bob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 am

007 wrote: My favorite section is between Franklin and where it turns into highway with 74. I made several laps up and back through there.

I like the whole thing, starting down in Walhalla, SC. Such a scenic and fun ride.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Buddhistbiker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Bob wrote:Scott, Richard, and I had a fun trek thru the hills north of West Jefferson today. After lunch at Plaza Del Sol in Jefferson, we rode a loop that included Old NC16, NC93, US21, Comers Rock Rd, Flat Ridge Rd, Whitetop Mtn Rd, US58, NC194, NC88, US421, and some more too numerous to enumerate! <grin> Weather was cloudy, cool, and dry--temps in the 60s, and dropped into mid-50's in places. I even ran my heated grips. It was great--why didn't YOU go with us? <scoot>

Was a great selection of roads. Sure glad I had an extra long sleeve T shirt to wear under the mesh jacket. Felt like we were at 7000 feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Buddhistbiker

Unread postby 007 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 pm

tireatr wrote:You mean Hellbender? lolz. From the rules and regulations of the Motorcycle community handbook book Chapter VII "Good/Popular roads in the Southeast must be named after snake/reptile /Devil". In this case the hellbender is a little frog/fish looking thing.

Steve did you make it over to Cullowee Mtn road? Add it your list. braches off Tilley creek in Speedwell; Connected wuth Walnut creek, Norton rd, and 107 can be a very enjoyable loop just before Lunch at the Cornucopia on 107 in Cashiers....or the Smokehouse on 64 will do too.

I will have to add it to the list. I'm planning on bugging Kimball again next week sometime after I get off work on Thursday. He needed to stay close to home due to work so the Dragon was as far as we ventured (I know, boooooring). Sunday was shortened due to rain, although this didn't stop gravel road exploration. I was on the right bike, but ill-prepared from a tire standpoint (M7RR nearing end of life). Kimball was on his DRZ with motard wheels, like it mattered. I had sit out Monday with rain all over the area, or probably would have ridden locally and grabbed a hotel on that night. 28 errrr Hellbender needed a few more passes...

Return to RIDE REPORTS--ALL RIDES & EVENTS