Login    Register

Anybody installed a fork cartridge kit?

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
Anybody installed a fork cartridge kit?

Unread postby flip » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:43 pm

I recently ordered Matris fork cartridge kits for my Shiver and my son's SV650. I have changed fork springs and added Intimators in my son's SV but that is as far into a set of forks I've gone. You guys that have done this, is it a fairly easy job or should I just find a shop that would do it or remove the forks and take them and the kits to Cogent or some other shop you might suggest? By the way, the SV has conventional forks and the Shiver's forks are upside down if that matters.
flip

Re: Anybody installed a fork cartridge kit?

Unread postby Bob » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:08 am

Not me but some of the guys here have either done this or taken forks to Cogent--or sent them off elsewhere. Lee Davis and Brick come to mind. Hopefully they will chime in for you. I would think a cartridge might not be so bad since its all self-contained and you just stick it in there and button it up..? But I could be wrong. Any instructions from the mfgr?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 am

As far as I know Cogent sells and installs and makes suspension products. I have no idea if they would install a product they know nothing about. Then again they my know about the product you already purchased. A phone call will give you the answer. They are great folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby 007 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:01 am

Highly recommend Cogent. They hadn't done a CB500X yet, but expected to do a few since more experienced riders are buying them up. I left the bike with him for about a month (prime season, if you do it over the winter, you will only be waiting on time to order parts). They put together a custom kit from 3 way adjustable fork cap parts in the shop although had to order more bike specific components. Their 3 way adjustable shock would not fit my bike so I have rebound only in the rear. There was also the added bonus of near perfect adjustment made by Rick (I weigh about the same with my leathers on as he does in normal gear). Their prices are very reasonable considering the quality and expertise.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby flip » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 pm

I finally got around to making an appointment with Cogent Dynamics. They will be installing the kits for me towards the end of next month. Though I've apparently been in no hurry to get the forks done, I am really looking forward to trying out the bikes with really good suspensions on them! I've already put a Matris shock on my Shiver and we had put a Ricor shock on my son's SV to go along with the Ricor Intiminators we had installed.

Now if I can just get the custom mounts finished for my Shiver so that I can use my Krauser K4 or K5 side cases, I'll have me one sporty, sport-tourer!
flip

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:01 am

My dad and I winged the install of the carriage kits for his Vstrom 650 we purchased from Cogent. Took about an hour or so, super super easy to do. Cogent sells a magnetic rod tool that makes the install super easy so you can get the carriage down and seated properly inside the fork tube. We probably still have that tool laying around at my dads place if you're interested.

Live to ride, Ride to live.
PirateRiderBen

NAME: Benjamin Nathan Ealy
Bike(s): '08 K1200S, '99 VFR800, '05 K1200S, '07 BMW 328i
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 500
Bike-to-bike comm.: I yell REALLY loud.

Unread postby flip » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:17 am

PirateRiderBen wrote:My dad and I winged the install of the carriage kits for his Vstrom 650 we purchased from Cogent. Took about an hour or so, super super easy to do. Cogent sells a magnetic rod tool that makes the install super easy so you can get the carriage down and seated properly inside the fork tube. We probably still have that tool laying around at my dads place if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer. I do appreciate it but I'm just gonna let the pros do the install. To quote Harry Callalahan, "A man's got to know his limitations".
flip

Unread postby flip » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:27 am

Well, I ran out of time and motivation and only got the forks off of my son's SV. I dropped them and the cartridge kit off at Cogent Dynamics this afternoon, make that Thursday afternoon. Very nice folks there. They said they would have them ready for me in a couple of weeks.

At some point, I'll get my the forks off of my Shiver and get them up to Cogent.
flip

Unread postby flip » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:12 pm

I picked up the SV forks this week. As far as I can tell, Cogent did a great job on the install. The price was reasonable and they are some nice folks to deal with. Hopefully I can get my Shiver forks to them next month for the cartridge install on them.
flip

Unread postby flip » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:41 am

I picked up the forks for my Shiver today from Cogent Dynamics. They installed a Matris cartridge kit and new fork seals in them. I then put my Shiver back together. I had a few minutes before I had to get ready to go somewhere so I thought I'd take a quick test ride. My battery was weak and it wouldn't start. <banghd>
It's on a charger now. I'm looking forward to finally taking it for a spin.
flip

Unread postby Bob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:05 am

Get that priller ready and come ride with us one day! <tour>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby flip » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Bob wrote:Get that priller ready and come ride with us one day! <tour>

I'm very much looking forward to doing that!
flip

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ