Login    Register

What the hell is HUT?

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
What the hell is HUT?

Unread postby Brick » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:06 am

Ok so I bought this fine FJ-09 in Michigan and just registered it here in NC. On the receipt from NC DMV is a brake down of the charges. Image
I know what most charges for but... what the heck is HUT? Whatever it is it cost me $279.60. So got any idea what it is?

I also don't know what MSI is but it was only $4.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Re: What the hell is HUT?

Unread postby Bob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:26 am

Highway use tax.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby tireatr » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:43 am

It's the equivalent of sales tax, but it's supposed to go directly to the building of roads instead of the general budget.....I don't trust or believe anything that comes out of Raleigh, but that's the explanation I get.

There exceptions to paying the tax, like transfer the title to a parent or child, but only in the state of NC.

Oh and it looks like they gave you a whole month to appeal the tax value. How kind of them <flip>

One more thing, if you paid less than $7920 (which is what they'll property tax you on), you'll need to submit a Bill of Sale with the proper amount to your county tax assessor ( each county does it differently)
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Unread postby 007 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:37 pm

My CB500 is still appraised at an absurd value, around $5800. I only paid $5000 for it new in 2015, but arguing with idiots is not worth my time. When I registered it at the DMV new, I showed the lady the receipt, and she said I would have to send in the information through the proper channels because she could only use what their database said was the value. I choose more passive ways of limiting government donations, such as buying inexpensive motorcycles and then spending twice that for making them better. Winston Salem is relatively inexpensive tax-wise, although I could easily move elsewhere, if needed.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ