Login    Register

What got you into Motorcycling?

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
What got you into Motorcycling?

Unread postby tireatr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:10 am

Guys,

After a sudden and short bout with Kidney failure by brother Tom passed away Wednesday evening. He had a liver transplant in 2011,but they couldn't do a kidney transplant and his kidneys were in too bad of shape to stay on dialysis. Although not ever very close in distance, age, or interests, we both shared the passion of motorcycles. Tom was the one who first got me excited about Motorcycles. After his HS graduation and before he enlisted in the Army, Tom bought first a Kawasaki KZ900 in 1975. He took that to Ca and rode around with his buddy Randy for 2 months before losing control of it on a sandy mtn road and "tossing it down a cliff" as he described it. (must run in the family haha)

Upon returning to Chicago where we all grew up, he bought his first Harley Davidson. A 1976 Low rider. He would ride that for 5 years until he shipped out to Korea and was bikeless for 2 years. When he returned to the states he bought his first Electra Glide now having a need for more comfort as his wife Lisa would ride occasionally. He owned a few of those over the years. We had a run from the late 90's to the mid 2000's where we would meet in at Dads place just outside Daytona beach. He never had a problem throwing camping gear on the bike and taking off for a week or two. One year we rode down to the Keys and I will never forget the feeling riding over those bridges. Glenn and I would do that same ride a few years later.

Early on he once road from El Paso to Dayton OH (where his wife Lisa was from) on the frame of the bike because his seat was in the shop for improvement ( did I mention it was a Harley haha) and his leave started so he had no opportunity to change his time off. Tom was gifted with the same mechanical ability my dad was. He could fix anything. I wasn't so lucky there, but I am trying :)

Tom leaves behind Lisa, a wonderful wife of 35 years who has stood beside him through ups and downs, and 2 children who both love their dad very much. I'm not sure I'll ever take for granted the window of the world Tom opened for me by introducing me to motorcycles. It's been my lifes passion and hobby outside and family and friends. Like those who have left me before Tom, Richard Jenkins and Matt Sullivan, motor enthusiasts through and through, I will never forget their spirit.

60 years is not enough time on this earth to take in all it has to offer. Don't wait for tomorrow. None of us are promised tomorrow

Thanks for listening,
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Re: What got you into Motorcycling?

Unread postby Bob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks for relating that story and sorry for your loss. I know he will be sorely missed by a lot of folks.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:59 am

A moving tribute to your brother. Wonderful story and excellent point, none of us are guaranteed tomorrow.

My condolences to you and your family.

And to your brother I say, ride on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live to ride, Ride to live.
PirateRiderBen

NAME: Benjamin Nathan Ealy
Bike(s): '08 K1200S, '99 VFR800, '05 K1200S, '07 BMW 328i
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 500
Bike-to-bike comm.: I yell REALLY loud.

Unread postby Brick » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:12 pm

So sorry for your loss! At almost 70 I can completely agree that 60 is not nearly enough time!

Regarding... What got you into Motorcycling... I had an uncle who had an old Harley Pan head and I was in awe. But Mom always said no motorcycles while you live under my roof. In my teens I worked at a gas station pumping gas, washing windshields etc... a local "old" guy used to ride in and talk with the owner he rode a 1958 or 59 BSA 650 and that thing sounded sooooo cool. At idle the front wheel bounced up and down as he sat there I was mesmerized! I got my first bike in 1970 when I got back from Viet Nam. <thumb>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Broz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Ken so sorry for your loss, my sincere condolences.

My dad raced motocross when I was a kid and I think every boy has a natural gravitation to two wheels with a motor.
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby NC-Canuck » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:17 pm

Ken thanks for sharing your story about your brother. Glad you have more memories then regrets. Carpe Diem seems to be the mantra of most who ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NC-Canuck

NAME: Stephen Haferman
Bike(s): 2008 ST1300
GPS: Navigon on iphone5
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena Smh-10

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ