Login    Register

My new project bike!

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
My new project bike!

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:51 am

Well I saw beachy complaining about having nothing to read through the winter, and I guess we are on the tail end of it now but nonetheless here is my new to me 1999 Honda VFR800. Some of you may recall I owned a 1998 that was also red. Great bike.
I found this gem in Rocky Mount about an hour north of me in Greenville Nc. Kid had it for several years as a commuter. Said he needed to save gas, I asked him what he drove. A V10 Ford F-250! Anyways, he laid this bike down twice, once at 50 and once at 80 on the highway. As you can see in the photos it's pretty rough looking. I took it to my buddy's shop and have it pretty much stripped down. There's a laundry list of new parts going into it to prepare it for the annual VFRD forum's rally/ride on Memorial Day weekend. Cosmetics are last on the list so she won't be pretty, but functional. I've been Collecting parts the last couple weeks.
With any project you know it's never going to be as easy or as cheap as you want it to be. My biggest issues have been the headlight and nose fairing. Getting the headlight used is about like finding a GSXR that isn't stretched 3 feet. Being a VFRD member has its perks and through that network I secured a headlight for around 90$ less than buying one new through Honda would cost. The front subframe was bent and VFRD came through again, this time a member in Australia had bought a high mileage bike to street fighter, so I got a subframe from
A bike that hasn't been down so I know it's true. Lucky for me only 70$ shipped to the US! Half the cost of a new one. I'll run off the list of parts I've ordered and will be replacing so far:
Clutch lever
Foot brake
Bar end weights
Headlight
Turn signals
Nose cowl
Windscreen
Front wheel bearings
Front brake discs
All brake pads
Oil and filter
Coolant
Brake fluid
Tires (getting some Q3's)
Cree LED headlight kit
2000-2001 VFR mirrors
VFRness wiring harness
Battery
Front subframe
Air filter

I pulled the headers and will be sand blasting them and having them powder coated high temp back. The Erion pipe sounds good but looks rough, jury is still out on what powder to use since me and my buddy don't know how hot it really gets. But expect it to be black and polished as it is now. Wheels will be two tone polished lips and black spokes.

It's been some work but so far so good. It runs really well considering the rough exterior!

Cosmetics will be worked out hopefully over the next year or so. Plastics and paint jobs are very pricey so I can only do as much as money allows.

Enjoy the photos!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live to ride, Ride to live.
PirateRiderBen

NAME: Benjamin Nathan Ealy
Bike(s): '08 K1200S, '99 VFR800, '05 K1200S, '07 BMW 328i
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 500
Bike-to-bike comm.: I yell REALLY loud.

Re: My new project bike!

Unread postby Brick » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:38 am

Excellent! Something to keep you out of trouble! <banjo>

Enjoy! Now I see why you wanted that faring off the snowblower from Facebook. <thumb>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Re: My new project bike!

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:01 am

Looks like fun! My DRZ was a fixer-upper and I spent more replacing and upgrading than simply buying the equivalent bike I ended up with. But, I enjoyed the process.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ