Login    Register

TRAUMA

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
TRAUMA

Unread postby Ed » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am

Unpleasant topic, but IMO we'd do well to discuss some of the scenarios we might run across on our rides.

As we talked about yesterday I carry a small first-aid kit, but it's little more than antiseptic wipes and a few Band-Aids.. enough stuff to make minor boo-boos "all better", but nothing to staunch heavy bleeding or splint a limb. The webbing belts are detachable from my textile riding gear, but neither is especially suited for use as an improvised tourniquet... better than 'nothing', but only somewhat so.

I also don't have medical gloves, so (since we're a small group) in a sense we all need to trust each other well enough to wade into a situation without hesitating. I've had my HepA and HepB shots, but there are still plenty of blood-borne illnesses to consider when the SHTF in an accident.

We mostly have great bike-to-bike comm capability now, but what will we do to summon aid when there's no cellphone signal? ...how will we care for an injured rider when EMTs could be an hour-plus away?

I'm not a "Chicken Little" kinda guy whatsoever, but we all know that one or more of us could get tangled up in an instant. Can we talk about that eventuality, who will do what, and how we can best pool our resources in a tense moment?

Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Re: TRAUMA

Unread postby Yarbi » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:21 am

Ed good suggestion! Why don't we use one of our next ride lunch break to discuss. Plan for the worst and hope we never need it. Don
Yarbi

Unread postby Bob » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Excellent and timely post Ed. And I'm with Yarbi re. "hope we never need it". But we've come close in the past so its time. <bugeye>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Ed » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Thinking about adding to what I've currently got in my tank bag... Amazon has a range of kits like this with QuikClot bandage sponges and pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Packwith-QuikClot/dp/B003BS2PW4/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_y

...and for twenty bucks (including two-day shipping, if you're a Prime subscriber) it's hard to imagine an excuse for everyone not owning one.

Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Brick » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 pm

A couple of years ago I took this training... Accident Scene Management. It was very enlightening. I purchased a first aid kit from them... Excellent stuff. I suggest all y'all take it. I wish everyone I rode with had taken this training.
The two day training is most necessary! Go for it.

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ