Login    Register

My recent ER/Cardiac Hosp stay

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
My recent ER/Cardiac Hosp stay

Unread postby Brick » Sun May 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Last Wednesday afternoon I thought I was having a heart attack. I had gotten lunch down town. A cup of soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. I drove to the local Ingles grocery. As I parked I stated to feel like I was going to throw up or pass out. I turned my truck back on and cranked the A/C. I my have blinked out for a short time I don't know. As I felt better I decided to drive home. 1/2 way there I had numb hands and feet and lips. I drove to the Urgent care. As I walked in I felt it coming on again. I think I scared the lady in line as I said excuse me I think I'm having a heart attack. They called 911 and EMS transported me to the ER. I spent the night and part of the next day taking tests. All came back no heart problems.
Now what the hell is wrong with me. No not that stuff...
I took myself off the Meloxicam I had been taking for far too long. It was for hip and knee pain. Now I've still got some abdominal pain/issues and hip and knee pain and well don't know what's going on with me.
It's hell getting old.
I believe I gave myself a gastric problem taking the Meloxicam for so long. Hell I had asked my Dr if I should get off it. She said do you have any problems with it... Well I do now! Damn Dr's.

Dr... It hurts when I do this... Well don't do that. Really! Ok now send me the bill!!

I must be out riding my Super Teneré'!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Re: My recent ER/Cardiac Hosp stay

Unread postby Bob » Mon May 11, 2015 4:14 am

It's a real bummer to have symptoms like that and not know why. Yes getting old sux big time, but now that you've ruled out heart maybe it will ease your mind. Weird shit ike that can happen for no apparent reason. I'm walking proof. Glad you're OK. <olfart>

I'm sitting here typing this at 4:00 AM because i can't sleep with stomach acid eating a hole in my throat. I know i took my reflux meds łast night. So why? <banghd>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Marc K » Mon May 11, 2015 6:09 am

Hmm knowing people with similar symptoms with no heart issues I'd say it's your gall bladder. My wife was admitted for the same thing and a few weeks later - gall bladder surgery.
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby Bob » Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 am

Marc K wrote:Hmm knowing people with similar symptoms with no heart issues I'd say it's your gall bladder. My wife was admitted for the same thing and a few weeks later - gall bladder surgery.

Yep you could be right. Happening right after a meal. Did they do an ultrasound or xray of the GB?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon May 11, 2015 10:00 am

I poked around on the internet and other than the recurrence of pain, the symptoms you describe aren't consistent with taking or withdrawing from Meloxicam. It could be an extreme case of your lunch not agreeing with you (it happens) or something else. At least you know you're not going to keel over from a heart attack - you've got that going for you!!
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Mon May 11, 2015 10:12 am

Like Lee, I was Googling meloxicam also, as I have arthritis in hands and knees. Brick, how well does it work? Do you ever get stomach burning after taking it, or other side effects (nausea is one of them listed). My current med is 600mg of ibuprofen 1 or 2 times a day and it doesn't work all that well.

I have a feeling the numb hands/feet/lips you had was from hyper-ventilation caused by the sudden stress.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Mon May 11, 2015 11:28 am

Meloxicam is ibprofen's big brother.
Years ago I had an episode that was similar, but of course didn't remember at the time, I had over used I profen. I'm hoping it that... Waiting to see when I can get a follow up with Dr.
Gonna contact Humana to see if I need a referral to Gastrointerologist or can I just go? I've had 2 colonoscopy's from him and one scope down the throat and one esophageal stretch from scar tissue caused by acid reflux! So he has my history.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Marc K » Mon May 11, 2015 6:35 pm

They did a "function test". She drank a "dye" and they did an ultrasound every few minutes. Found it would go into spasms. Her attacks would occurred after eating spicy or fatty foods. She said the pain was through her chest to her spine. She had the arthroscopic surgery, five little holes and cut it in little pieces and suck it out. Recovery was out of work for 10 days.
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby Broz » Tue May 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Sorry to hear that Brick. Hope they find the cause ASAP. Take car of yourself,
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Brick » Tue May 12, 2015 3:26 pm

I took Hydrocod/Aceta... For pain only at night so I could sleep. Only 3 total pills as I didn't need/want much. Now I'm so plugged up I'm taking laxatives!!! I stopped taking the damn stuff, last was Sunday. No more! The pain is better than what this crap does to you! Damn! I just know after I can go again I'll feel sooo much better!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Brick wrote:I took Hydrocod/Aceta... For pain only at night so I could sleep. Only 3 total pills as I didn't need/want much. Now I'm so plugged up I'm taking laxatives!!! I stopped taking the damn stuff, last was Sunday. No more! The pain is better than what this crap does to you! Damn! I just know after I can go again I'll feel sooo much better!

Yeah, that hard stuff does bad things to ya. What kind of pain you having thats bad enough for that? Dang.

We all hope you have a huge blow-out soon! <BS> <wave>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Tue May 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Mission accomplished! Oh man I feel 10lbs lighter!
It was more discomfort than pain but I couldn't sleep with it.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue May 12, 2015 6:43 pm

Brick wrote:Mission accomplished! Oh man I feel 10lbs lighter!
It was more discomfort than pain but I couldn't sleep with it.

Somebody's gotta say it... TOO MUCH INFORMATION! <bugeye>
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Brick » Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Hey you always knew I was full of shit!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby 007 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:47 pm

May have been a mild form of Guillain Barre syndrome caused by GI bug, although this would usually be more serious. With your GI history on meloxicam, that could contribute to some things by iteslf, but other than Guillain Barre does not explain the numbness. Would definitely talk to a Cardiologist as "tests" are a bit vague and would want to make sure you didn't have some sort of heart problem if there were associated symptoms. Did they do telemetry or give you a Holter monitor? Larger meals can prolong QT and contribute to arrythmia. A transient spinal cord issue compromising sensory nerves or a transient ischemic attack would be strange. Meloxicam comes with risks and/or black box warnings for a number of these events. Of course, you may have had a panic attack, but that is doubtful. I would avoid opiates like the plague, especially with GI issues, for the obvious reasons you mentioned. GI docs and surgeons seem to love them.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Brick » Fri May 15, 2015 6:33 am

It seems from the scans they now see some lower spin degeneration.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby 007 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:56 am

Lower spine degeneration would not explain upper symptoms. Although the sympathetic nervous system does run down the spine a ways and back up. You also may want to consult a "real" doctor. Been a while since I looked at all that stuff.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Unread postby Brick » Fri May 15, 2015 1:16 pm

During my stay in the hospital I saw one real Dr... the one in the ER the other two were Hospitalists and in my opinion are worthless! Seriously! I just went to my GP and she is good and that's who told me about the results that the hospital sent over from all the tests... as in you have some lower spin degeneration. There are a couple of things I hadn't asked that I wish I had. I just called her office and asked if she could call me.

Believe me I had not just been relying on your over this form consult. <grin> If you know what I mean.

007 wrote:Lower spine degeneration would not explain upper symptoms. Although the sympathetic nervous system does run down the spine a ways and back up. You also may want to consult a "real" doctor. Been a while since I looked at all that stuff.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ