Login    Register

My name is Bob and I am a Bikeaholic............

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
My name is Bob and I am a Bikeaholic............

Unread postby BobW » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 am

First off, I must reiterate my <finger> after joining the ride a couple weeks ago and it pushing my next bike search into fast forward <bana>

I have a very short finalist list (that's a lie, but sounds almost responsible) and have owned 2 of the 3 enjoying 10s of thousands of miles on my Stelvio and R bikes. I want to like the GSw enough to buy it, "But" will not at this time as discussed on another thread and the Guzzi is such a fantastic ride that even lacking cruise control and anything resembling a dealer network it has to be ridden to be appreciated (Italians do make fun motorcycles be it a duc a goose or an ape!).

That leaves the Super Tenere having both long distance competency, well suited to our lovely area roads, obviously well sorted and with support anywhere you may be traveling.

Calling Brick and anyone else with experience, prejudices, other options, dirty pictures <bugeye> , etc.

I head out West in a few weeks so I plan to control my addiction for awhile longer :lol: , but the clock is always ticking........
BobW

Re: My name is Bob and I am a Bikeaholic............

Unread postby Bob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:45 am

There is a 12 step program for this but its really not much fun. <smirk>

Where ya headed out west? :?:
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Bob,
Well I'm on my second Tenere'... I had a 2012 when they first came out and put 68,808 miles on it with no real problems. Go to http://www.yamahasupertenere.com and you can read more than you will ever want to know. I'm Brick there too.

I replaced a battery earlier than I think I should have.
It ate rear brake disc pads in 20,000 miles. It has linked brakes and I think that particular bike had it's proportioning valve set too much to the rear.

Early units had a clutch issue which when I sold mine the new owner had fixed. Many from the forum were putting in a clutch kit for the 2014 as it seems to be very much improved.

Spokes need to be "pinged" when you change tires and some times I will tighten a couple. I use red locktite and still sometimes need to tighten a few. This is not a big deal.

Some sent the ECU off for a reflash... I didn't see a need.

I now have over 26,000 miles on my 2014ES and no problems at all! I got the ES because of the improvements. Cruise Control, factory heated grips, Improved ECU programing of where the power comes on in the two modes. T = tranquil and S = shit and git! Different handlebars raised and 10mm back New dash with Electronic suspension on the fly adjust of all but rear pre-load. Also Traction control can not be turned off. But I don't mind that at all.

Call me if you want to talk more my number is listed on the members page of the COFSTA. There are some older ones with LOTS of accessories for sale on the forum for $10K or less!

I love mine!
YMMV
<squid> <squid> <squid>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby BobW » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:25 pm

Brick
Appreciate the feedback and I'll follow up on the forum.

Bob
We have grandchild #4 (the first wee female <grin> ) due to arrive in Phoenix near the end of the month. Deb will fly, but I will ride to visit and then I am going head up to and around a bit of CO to see a guy I worked with and then mosey on back.
BobW

Unread postby Bob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Sounds like a fun trip! Grandkids are great aren't they? I have 1 grandaughter age 4 and a grandson due the end of August. <bana>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby BobW » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:18 pm

Congratulations! They are pure magic and such a hoot to be around, but wear us out after a week <olfart>
BobW

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ