Login    Register

More on tires...

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
More on tires...

Unread postby Brick » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:34 am

So yesterday I changed both tire on the Tenere'. I put on a set of, "take-offs" Metzler Tourance the rear had 3,000ish and the front had 1,623 miles on it. I checked the front and it is one made in Germany not China. So after I finished it was sooo nice out I had to ride. I left the saddlebags off and wow it felt like such a small bike without them! I had taken off old Anakee 3 tires and so I remember how much I love the Tourances! Damn I'm bummed I can't get the original Tourances anymore!
Tuesday I figured sooner than later I would run out of take-offs so I was shopping for a DS tire for the Teneré'. I have not tried a Continental Trail Attack 2 so I ordered a set. A few bucks more than Anakee 3's but not much. I ordered them from Jake Wilson and they estimated they would be here Thursday... cool free 2 day shipping! They were by my door when I got back from a ride yesterday... Free 1 day shipping! Great service. Image
Well I'll not put these on until I wear out these wonderful Tourances! But I'm hoping they work well. They sure don't have much off road "look" to them. Image
That's my latest tire tale...

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Re: More on tires...

Unread postby Bob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:29 am

I tried a set of the Trail Attack 2's awhile back. They didnt have much of a "gravel presence". Seemed fine on street until around 4K miles on the rear (thats much better than I'm getting with PR4's) but I started getting this unsettling feeling at low speed in turns like the rear tire was stepping around, and it was worse on pavement with a pebbly-granular surface. I ditched them soon after. YMMV. Still, to get 4K before tossing them ain't bad....
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:40 am

Good luck! It sucks when they quit making a tire that you like. I would have stayed with the original Dunlop Roadsmart rear forever. It was great when combined with a sticky front like a Pilot Power.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Brick » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:36 pm

Lee... Yes but now on the FJ09 everything will be different!
... or not!

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:57 am

LeeDavis wrote:I would have stayed with the original Dunlop Roadsmart rear forever. It was great when combined with a sticky front like a Pilot Power.

Interesting to hear that. I had an 'original Roadsmart' on the back of the Hayabusa with a Pirelli Diablo front, and the bike felt terrific; a Roadsmart II rear on the Bandit wouldn't turn worth a damn, and went to "downright awful" when I put a PR3 (from another Pirelli) on the front.
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ