Login    Register

NC Inspections

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
NC Inspections

Unread postby Marc K » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:36 am

Now that my bike is registered in NC I need to get it inspected. Who do you guys use for no hassle inspections. Nothing up here, Wilkesboro is the closest.
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Re: NC Inspections

Unread postby Ed » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:32 am

Nothing convenient for you, I'm afraid but 'Inspection Connection' in Mint Hill (intersection of 51 and 218) is my go-to... one of the few places I've found locally who does bikes.

704.573.4110 is their number.

Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:43 am

Below is copied from a forum. FYI, pay close attention to horn, brake pads, tire tread depths--some of these guys are real sticklers! Also call some insp. stations close to home, they may also do motorcycles. Basically, do the entire safety inspection yourself before you take it in!

Seeing how I'm a licensed inspector in Durham county, I figured I could share what I know. I'll run through the procedure and exactly what equipment is needed and what you can scrape by with. Keep in mind that if your bike is 35 years old or better, it does not need to be inspected in the state of North Carolina. If the shop you take it to does a proper and thorough inspection, your bike will be lifted. Motorcycles have to have all the same safety equipment as any other passenger vehicle. These items include good tires, mirrors, horn, head and tail lights, good brakes and front ends. If all these things are in good working order, your vehicle will pass inspection. Tires will fail if there is less than 2/32 of tread left on the tire. Dry rotting and weather cracking could fail but that is up to the inspectors discretion. Basically if you're inspector is feeling like a dick that particular day he or she will probably fail you for dry rot. Brakes may fail if they squeal and there is nothing left on the linings. On the bright side you only need to have one brake, either hand or foot operated. Lights all have to be in good working order but cannot have any cracks in the lenses or allow for sitting water in them. Head lights also have to be properly aimed. You don't need to have turn signals on motorcycles. All lights also have to be securely mounted. You do however do have to have a functional tag light. Mufflers also have to be in good working order. Since most of our bikes are "custom" I wouldn't be too concerned about this but if you're running stock, you have to have your baffles in place and can't have any exhaust leaks. That's pretty much it. If you have any questions or concerns about anything, feel free to drop me a line and post pics too and I'll let you know if I'd let it pass, I'm pretty much an ass when it comes to safety inspections so I'll head you in the right direction.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 am

Copied from the DMV insp. handbook:

(a) Motorcycle brakes shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) When applying brakes to moving vehicle, there is insufficient force to stop the vehicle.
(2) Brakes are worn in such a manner that there is an uneven braking force.
(3) There is an audible or visual indication that the brake lining is worn to the extent it is no longer serviceable.
(4) There is less than one-third reserve in either footbrake or handbrake total possible travel when the brakes
are fully applied.
(5) Reservoirs of braking cylinders are not full.
(6) There is a visible leakage of fluid from any brake line or brake component.
(7) Handbrake cables are frayed, broken, or frozen or linkage is defective.

(b) Motorcycle headlamps shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) Headlamp does not operate properly.
(2) There are more than two headlamps connected on a single switch.
(3) Headlamp is cracked or has holes which allow entry of water.
(4) There is standing water in the headlamp.
(5) Headlamp is out of proper aim.

(c) Motorcycle rear lamps shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) They do not operate.
(2) Light is a color other than red.
(3) Light is cracked or broken and allows entry of water.
(4) There is standing water in the lens.
(5) Lamp is not securely mounted.
(6) Wiring is broken or frayed.

(d) A motorcycle stop lamp shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) Lamp does not operate when brakes are applied.
(2) Light is a color other than red or amber.
(3) Light is cracked or broken or allows entry of water.
(4) There is standing water in the lens.
(5) Lamp is not securely mounted.
(6) Wiring is broken or frayed.

(e) A motorcycle license plate light shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) Light does not operate.
(2) Light does not illuminate the license plate.
(3) Light is a color other than white.

(f) A motorcycle horn shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) The horn does not operate.
(2) The sound emitted is not audible at 200 feet.
(3) The horn is not securely mounted.
(4) The button is mounted so that it can not be easily operated by the driver.

(g) Motorcycle tires shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) There is less than two thirty-seconds of an inch of tread at two or more locations around the circumference
of the tire in two adjacent major tread grooves, or if the tread wear indicators are in contact with the
roadway at two or more locations around the circumference of the tire.
(2) Cords are exposed at any location on the tire.
(3) Sidewall is cut, bulging, damaged or is severely cracked due to dry rotting.

(h) Motorcycle rear view mirrors shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) The mirrors are missing, broken, or cracked.
(2) The mirrors are not securely mounted.
(3) The mirrors will not hold a setting while vehicle is in operation.

(i) A motorcycle exhaust system shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) The motorcycle has no muffler.
(2) The muffler, exhaust or tailpipe have holes, leaking joints, seams, or patches.
(3) The tailpipe end is pinched.
(4) The exhaust system is equipped with a muffler cut out or bypass.
(5) The muffler baffles have been removed or damaged to create a straight pipe.

(j) A motorcycle steering mechanism shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) Front shocks are sagging or broken.
(2) Front end assembly is bent or there are damaged or twisted bolts.
(3) Front end nuts, bolts, or rivets are loose or missing.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Well there are two places here in Morganton that I could send you to. Fun Cycles is good and there is a service station on Carbon City road that does a lot. Any inspection station that does cars should do MC's. YMMV!

Is there some reason why you are concerned to get it inspected???
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Brick wrote:Is there some reason why you are concerned to get it inspected???

Probably just culture shock, moving from South-ka-damn-lina to the highly regimented nanny state of NC, lol. <muaha>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Marc K » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:12 pm

beemerbob wrote:
Brick wrote:Is there some reason why you are concerned to get it inspected???

Probably just culture shock, moving from South-ka-damn-lina to the highly regimented nanny state of NC, lol. <muaha>

Nah Bob's correct - no inspection in SC which explains a lot of the crap on the roads. I just don't want some know it all looking over my bike since I've been working on my own bikes for the past 30+ years. I will disable by Knight Rider brake light just so it's not in question. All the car inspectors up here do not do motorcycles.
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:29 pm

I see cars with flashing brake lights so I doubt there would be any problem. Actually, SC has it RIGHT re. motorcyle inspections--its just plain silly. The only person thats gonna be hurt is the rider if his brakes or tires fail. It takes the guy at Honda/Suzuki of Pineville approximately 23 seconds to complete the inspection on my bike, but it takes 15 minutes to do the paperwork. <dope>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Marc K » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:15 am

I think I'll try Fun Cycles. I've always wanted to stop by the shop. I might need a new set of tires.

SC dropped the State Inspections during my career. A study found the system was corrupt and loaded with fraudulent repairs. Turns out the majority of vehicles are kept up to standard without a mandatory inspection. There are stiff penalties for equipment violations - some have DL points attached.
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

Unread postby Brick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Marc,
When you go to Fun Cycles take your bike to the basement that is where the service area is. Scott is the service mgr and Robbie Whisenant is the mc mechanic. Both are great guys. Upstairs, John behind the parts counter is the one that I usually try to get a good price on tires from. I go in knowing what I can get them on line for and I know I will pay a bit more from them. However, I believe that if we don't buy some stuff from our local dealer we won't have local dealers for long! You can also bring your own tires in as they will mount them on or off the bike for you. I've not done that so don't really know what they charge. Good folks at Fun Cycles. Tell them I said HI! or let me know when you are going I'll go along!
<icool>

Marc K wrote:I think I'll try Fun Cycles. I've always wanted to stop by the shop. I might need a new set of tires.

SC dropped the State Inspections during my career. A study found the system was corrupt and loaded with fraudulent repairs. Turns out the majority of vehicles are kept up to standard without a mandatory inspection. There are stiff penalties for equipment violations - some have DL points attached.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ