Login    Register

"Bluetooth Tech Day"

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
"Bluetooth Tech Day"

Unread postby Bob » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Bluetooth Tech Day (for me anyway)

On our ride yesterday, we (Brick, Yamadog, and I) paired up our Sena SMH10’s to use in intercom mode. This was a first for me, as I have been using the GMRS radio thru the SMH10/SR10 setup. I learned quite a bit—here are some observations.

1) Getting started: Initially I didn’t think we would get all 3 of us paired up; once 1 of us were paired with Brick, the next one would break the connection for all 3. This happened 3 times—finally the 4th time it just suddenly worked. Maybe Brick knows why but I sure don’t….? Later after lunch when we had shut them off, they re-connected right up.

2) Range: At one point I was a good ½ mile ahead of the others and also out of sight around a turn but we were still connected. That was impressive. Later as we split off from Brick on the way home, we lost contact in no more than ¼ mile. Overall, we were always connected as far as I could tell. The real test will be riding up 80 or 226A to see how terrain affects it.

3) Ease of use: Real easy--nothing to really do but talk as needed. Nice not to have to push the PTT button. Much easier to holler “Gravel” or “Radar”. Zero “latency”, lol. Super clear audio.

4) Downs: Wind noise was picked up and re-broadcast from Brick’s unit but not from Jim’s or mine. We are guessing Brick had Mic Boost turned on and that was causing it, as his audio was also over-driven if he moved the mic closer so we could hear him over the wind. He also didn’t have a mic muff or the plastic noise-killer clip the newer mics come with. But if it hadn’t been for the wind noise, I would never know the 3 of us were connected unless someone spoke—and fortunately none of us were total blabbermouths so the constant connection was not a problem. And when the going got technical, we all got quieter which was good. Brick, what did you find out—was the mic boost on?

Tests:
1) Once while the 3 of us were connected I turned the SR10 back on to see if I could still get audio from the GPS or Radar and whether it would prioritize itself. But I couldn’t get any other audio period unless I opted-out of the intercom by bumping the jog dial once, then I could hear my other gizmos. And I could rejoin the intercom by bumping the jog dial again, no problem. But the SR10 should have overridden the audio without having to opt-out---more Sena weirdness.

2) When Brick peeled off, Jim and I suddenly lost our intercom since we were both paired thru Brick (the “A” member) but as we rode along we both hit the jog dial to enter pairing mode and in a few seconds we were connected again. It was simple to do while riding, no stopping required.

3) A few miles further, I decided to re-try my earlier test (see # 1) with just Jim and I connected. It worked this time! I was able to get radar and GPS audio without opting out of the intercom, in fact Jim was able to hear the radar tones back thru the intercom. So it works properly when only 2 are connected but not when there’s 3? Even more Sena weirdness. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if it works with a 3-way pairing the next time. Inconsistency is the norm with Sena it seems!

4) Jim and I were able to seamlessly switch from using GMRS to Intercom modes on the fly: if we were connected thru the Intercom, we simply tapped the jog dial once to opt out and then start talking on the GMRS. Or to switch back to intercom, just quit using the PTT and tap the jog dial and we’re back on intercom. Easy peasy. Useful for switching on the fly if the terrain suddenly gets in the way of Bluetooth.

Conclusions: The Intercom mode is a nice option to have. I think it is probably best used in smaller groups (3-4 max) since the larger the group the bigger chance of losing comm between the front and rear, depending on the terrain, plus the complexity involved in just setting the connection up initially. And also with larger groups comes the possibility of too much chatter which could be distracting at times. Having to push and hold the PTT tends to make the talking self-limiting, lol, which could be a good thing at times. But at no time was I distracted by other “noises”, like shouting, screaming, sniffling, heavy breathing, etc. <grin> I think the earplugs plus the sounds of riding tend to override most everything except voice. (and transmitted wind noise)
And for traveling from A to B for long distances with larger groups it seems like a real plus.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: "Bluetooth Tech Day"

Unread postby Brick » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:58 pm

I updated the firmware to my Sena 20S and turned off the mic boost too. I left all the other setting as they came.
I fiend the wind socks for sale but not the little clip thing you all had on the back of your mics. So if you know where I can order one I would do it. I have not ordered the socks yet either. Might as well order both if we can find them at one place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Bob » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Brick, Sena lists a mounting kit that contains both the mic clip, mic muff, and other stuff, but when I plugged their part # (SMH-A0201) into Revzilla it showed an earlier version of the mount kit which had less stuff in it (no clip) so you might want to check around, maybe call Revzilla to see if theirs is the most up-to-date kit----as the mic clip is relatively new.

http://www.sena.com/product/accessories ... cessories/

Edit: Brick--I forgot you're using the 20S--it may have a different mic that doesn't use the clip--better check it first. Turning off the mic boost may be all you need---and a mic muff.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:44 pm

What Sena are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:02 pm

SMH10.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Brick, I've used the SMH10 and now the 20S and didn't get a mic clip with either. I don't think it's a big deal but the foam thingy might be important to reduce ambient wind noise.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:39 pm

LeeDavis wrote:Brick, I've used the SMH10 and now the 20S and didn't get a mic clip with either. I don't think it's a big deal...

You may be right, but it does cover over the small holes on the back of the mic which I suppose keeps direct wind from hitting them, while not sealing the holes off airtight like a piece of tape would do. I have a feeling the clip is sort of like their firmware updates, done after the fact to improve some functionality.

The 20S may use a different mic and not need the clip.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Yarbi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Brick, did you upgrade your SMH10 to the 20S?
Yarbi

Unread postby Brick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:17 pm

OMG.... I'm crazy! I only have the SMH10!!!!!!! <dope> <dope> <dope>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Brick wrote:OMG.... I'm crazy! I only have the SMH10!!!!!!! <dope> <dope> <dope>

Lol. I could have sworn you said u got the 20 for xmas. Guess it was all the other stuff. So maybe u shud get the mic clip after all.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:14 am

The following will inform you all how much I've really lost it!
So yesterday I'm putzing around in the MC garage and I think... Hmmm... I've put a few small things from the SMH10 package in the left side pocket of my tankbag... I wonder?!?! So there in a small plastic bag is a new wind sock and the mic clip. <dope>! Amazing one again uv outsmarted myself! They are installed and the firm wear is updated. And the mic boost has been turned off! Next time we will see how it works. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Yarbi » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:01 am

Well I guess we are all getting old. I have done the same thing but most of the time I have already bought the new stuff before I find it. <banghd>
Yarbi

Unread postby Bob » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:24 am

Brick--you addlebrained old geezer. <muaha>
What makes it so funny is it sounds *exactly* like something I have already done (sorry can't remember what lol) or something I will do! It comes with the territory bro. <olfart> <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 am

The nice thing about forgetting what you have is that when you discover it it's like getting new stuff all over again!
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Brick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 pm

[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:03 pm

LeeDavis wrote:The nice thing about forgetting what you have is that when you discover it it's like getting new stuff all over again!

Hmmm....so I could go have an electro-shock treatment and then I wouldn't have to get a new liquid-cooled GS...??? <grin>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:55 pm

No Bob you NEED that new BMW! Baaaawwwwhaaaa!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Bob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:14 pm

I am thinking about the 16's. <pop>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Brick FYI I am running just the mic clip, no mic muff and so far I don't think I am causing any wind noise so you might want to try just the clip first. The mic muff was annoying to me.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Got the muff & the clip ON. I also zip tied the muff on!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby Brick » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Bob yea Gary complained the tires for his WGS are more expensive than mine - yours.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Re:

Unread postby Bob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:11 pm

Brick wrote:Bob yea Gary complained the tires for his WGS are more expensive than mine - yours.

Oh, well I am sure GLAD you told me!!! No way am I gonna get one now!!!! <BS> <rdr>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ